#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Dayne Beams is out but Dyson Heppell says Bombers should still pursue A-grade talent

JON RALPH, Herald Sun

August 9, 2018 5:43pm

Subscriber only

DYSON Heppell says he is desperate to be Essendon’s next premiership captain, adamant he grew as a leader through the club’s horrific early-season form.

And Heppell backed in John Worsfold’s aggressive player acquisition strategy despite the club denying that Brisbane’s Dayne Beams was a trade target.

The second-year captain drew heavy criticism in Essendon’s 2-6 start to the season as a team seemingly stacked with talent instead slumped from finals contention.

But he said staying calm and not going away from what saw him appointed helped him through one of the toughest periods of his leadership.

Heppell lauded the emergence of midfielder Kyle Langford and paid tribute to the new-found leadership of Jake Stringer, who has transformed his reputation after his disastrous exodus from the Western Bulldogs.

Teaming up for a photo with 1965 premiership captain Ken Fraser this week, he said he would love to hold up the premiership cup for a side that hasn’t won a final since 2004.

“Absolutely, that is what you strive for, being a premiership player and to be the captain of a premiership side would be something very special,” he told the Herald Sun .

“And I think what we are building at the club at the moment, we are striving towards that and we have made some great inroads this year and hopefully established a culture which will be long-lasting.

“Our trademark has been super. It has come down to the character of the players and it makes is easier to build a strong culture and hold each other to account and to our values.

“It’s been a really enjoyable year from that point of view and it’s been really simple to lead.”

Former bad boy Stringer came to the club in a wave of controversy, with John Worsfold keen to turn him into an inside midfielder.

With 27 goals in 17 games, he has also found a make an impact play 29 per cent of his time in the midfield with underrated results.

He has attended 129 centre bounces — seventh at Essendon — and the club has won 55 per cent of centre bounces he attends — the most of any player at the Bombers.

He has career highs in clearances (2.4 per game), disposals, contested possessions and marks.

“He has been super, Jakey, from the moment he came to the club he was willing to work really hard,’’ Heppell said.

“He smashed himself in his first pre-season here and brought a real element of leadership that not a lot of us knew he had.

“In meetings he is really happy to express his opinions and Jake is one that is more than happy to give that real direct feedback. He has been super.”

Essendon denied reports on Channel Seven that Brisbane’s Beams was in their trade sights, saying they were not interested in his services.

But Heppell said he would back in the club’s list management to again go for senior players after the success in recruiting Devon Smith, Adam Saad and Stringer.

“I think if those players are available there is no reason why we shouldn’t go after them,’’ he said.

“If there are gaps they think we need to fill, go and get the best players you can to go and fill those spots.”

When the critics came — some even suggesting Heppell cut off his beard to focus more on football — he said he was determined not to change into the kind of leader he had never been before.

“You have a bit of a laugh about that stuff. There is a bit of outside noise but you focus on people you trust and the opinions you want to listen to are inside the four walls of the club.

“I thought I was quiet level-headed through that period and didn’t get too caught up in anything else that was outside.

“I think my leadership really grew in that period.”

3 Likes

How self-conscious is he on his leadership? Constantly comments on his captaincy. Do other captains talk about it as much as him?
Negativity is more on his disposal rather than leadership.

1 Like

To be honest I see it as a positive. He saw he could do better leading and he went about trying to improve. That’s all you can ask of any leader or any player for that matter

Seems to of worked. His leadership on field has improved dramatically since the start of the season, even just his body language has improved massively

2 Likes

No doubt. But being so public about it?

What use would it be keeping those comments in private? His words are meant to show fans as well as anyone else, what he has done, and leave an impression. Which he has done.

2 Likes

The fluff pieces begin

A fair bit of back slapping for a team ‘stacked with talent’ that will finish 11-11

Still yet to win a final and we are talking about premierships.again.

we.are.essendon.

2 Likes

Are htcs still a thing - I thought they lost preference to the Nokia. Or even the Bakelite.

He’s probably talking about leadership because a journalist asked him a question about leadership.

6 Likes

Not having a go at you - but it seems the players/club can’t win.

Speak candidly: why publicise such information?
Don’t speak candidly: they treat us fans like idiots. Why don’t they tell us what’s going on?
Either way: Fluff piece. (what should he do? Not answer the questions he’s being asked?)

His leadership has been exceptional, and should be acknowledged. Just as his clangers should be highlighted - or at least the ones that are simple skill errors with no pressure that hand the ball to the opposition. Hopefully he can fix the latter.

On the other hand, if you want to question the club: why come out with a presser saying we are not interested in Dayne Beams? That is something that need not be public. No one asked the question.

1 Like

Maybe the club was asked to by some people. Sometimes it is not as simple as it often seems.

1 Like

Maybe read that again and focus on the parts which clearly showed he was being asked direct questions and he was answering them.

Yeah, I guess I contradicted myself with that assumption.

I wouldn’t count the Port game as a loss yes it’s at AO but I reckon Essendon is one of the few teams that troubles Port

I do agree they are talking like it’s been a successful season again just like at the end of last year, the propaganda machine has started early for 2019.

Remember Zac Merret saying “not winning a premiership” was a fear of his on AFL Game Day.

Not saying it will happen but would hate to see guys like Merret,McGrath in a few years leave to chase success elsewhere club better win one soon.

1 Like

It is talking about successfully turning around a disastrous start to the season. Don’t think they are saying the season itself is a success.

I do hope we can look back on that Carlton game as a similar point to Geelong under BT, when they lost to North and ushered in a review and changes that ultimately lead to long term success. However, I do agree with the pessimism, as we’ve seen too many false dawns with this football club.

I like posts like these because it turns out no matter how little a thing I find to complain about someone can go smaller.

5 Likes

I wasn’t complaining. I was curious if anyone could chime in on his personality. Curious if other young new captains do a similar thing. Pointing out that every Heppell media piece is on his leadership.

Another great game from our Captain. Also noticed he’s had a little trim. :innocent:

4 Likes

Good game by Heps. Must cut out the 3-4 howlers a game but outside of some sloppy disposal this bloke has been enormous post our horrid start.