#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Hooker and Hurley both have expressed they were not happy with being dropped from the leadership group.

Do you have direct quotes that show that?

Even still that doesn’t speak of a leadership divide, i am sure plenty of players would like to be on the leadership group and miss out. That’s not Heppell’s fault either, it is the players who vote on this stuff.

Pops Kelly is one that mentioned it and it has been mentioned by others.

I could look but I couldn’t be bothered.

If I found a quote you wouldn’t address it anyway.

Actually i would, because I have never seen these quotes, only seen people talk about it on here. never found it anywhere either.

And my second sentence did address it. Players being disappointed doesn’t equal a leadership divide, just means players are disappointed.

we have a habit of playing very poorly against poor opposition

For whatever reason we are not arriving with the right mindset. Imo that is on the coaches and leadership group.

2 Likes

Here is one quote I found in The Rage:
The view was that a more “streamlined” approach was preferable, with Hooker and Hurley – who have both earned All-Australian honours in the past – happy for the younger contingent to carry out the official leadership duties.

Another from Sporting news:
“Feedback from our playing group was overwhelmingly in support of Dyson being named as captain for a third straight year,” Worsfold said.
"They feel strongly aligned with his leadership qualities and values and this was consistent throughout this process.

From what I can find the questions about Hooker and Hurley being very upset comes from Damien Barrett, the flog, and he acknowledges in a brief sentence that in reality they were okay about it all:
CALE Hooker and Michael Hurley were shocked, hurt and embarrassed to be overlooked for leadership positions at Essendon for the 2019 season.
They both quickly moved on.

1 Like

Are the players wanting him removed as captain?

Who knows?

I’m not suggesting they do am I?

That’s not an argument to keep him is it?

Isn’t the captain chosen by the players? If so, shouldn’t they play a big part of him no longer being captain?

That doesn’t make for a good online rant now does it? It’s all Hepps fault, he should get a haircut and be angry.

2 Likes

How often do captains get the role taken off them when they are in their prime?

Coaches always go first.

I’m sure you could point to many good footballers of days gone by who weren’t great kicks but made up for it in many other ways.

As they should, rarely has it anything to do with the captain. And generally what happens is the captain stands down if the coaches and players quietly suggest it might be time for a new one. As the coaches and players currently think Hepps is going well then i doubt this will change. So maybe focus on something else for a change.

Boak

Roughhead

Not sure the reasons they stepped down though.

I’d argue the coach has a greater impact on overall performance and culture of the club so am unsurprised they are usually first to go.

1 Like

not to pick sides or anything, however honestly who the ■■■■ cares what these players want ?
the same players who can’t execute a gameplay, can’t stick to their own supposed standards, can’t perform week to week … i could keep going but you and others know the long list of what these players don’t do.

So why should they have any say in who is captain, they have not earnt the right.

it’s pointless cos it won’t happen, but still the players do not deserve the right to have a say anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t think imposing a captain is a good idea. What sort of authority or respect would they have. Would be difficult for them i think.

1 Like

The captains job is to be the bridge between the coach and the playing group.

Good captains rarely look good under poor coaches for that reason.

I don’t think Wooshs coaching style and seemingly laid back attitude brings out the best in Dyson’s leadership ability.

I think it’s pretty clear why Roughy was taken out of the role. He’s now not even playing seniors.

I think coaches should select the captains and leadership by the way.

I would love to select my boss but that would be just to easy to slack off.

1 Like

This is good leadership :blush:

5 Likes

I think it’s a bit extreme to drop him to the VFL.