#22 Sam Durham - thru to 2028!

Yea I tend to agree… looks to making small incremental improvements

1 Like

Tackling quality is definitely better.

12 Likes

I think his ability to extract the ball from contest at pace has improved… He is one of our best.

1 Like

I do enjoy your glass half empty view… Well that’s my opinion of you, Blitz is a better place for it.

1 Like

I was actually looking at his stats when I wrote this. I looked it up because I felt he goes missing for long periods of the game. Again, his stats aren’t bad and he attacks the ball, but I haven’t seen any real improvement since his first year.

1 Like

But it’s right there on the same page you were.
Again, it’s not huge improvement, but it’s trending the right way

To move past “average footballer with great attitude” he needs to be getting a few more touches a game.

For context, he’s averaging 3 more possessions than Cox did in 2021, less goals and less tackles. More marks.

Interested to know what his average time on ground is. Could be a factor I haven’t considered.

Not sure if %P is percentage played? It has increased a bit too.

Always going to be hard one to judge for him I feel

If he playing the largely unrewarded defensive side winger role stat line won’t be strong

9 Likes

If you look at his heat maps compared to say Martin, you can see that he really hold his wing and doesn’t go into the centre or other side. Martin pretty much does what he wants as a winger.

6 Likes

His role would be interesting. Is he sent to negate the best winger ???

It’s what he’s not doing

Not overcooking contests as much. Not getting sucked into no-man’s land halfway to a contest.
(Still occasionally)

Not everyone goes from 1-100.

9 Likes

I’d probably drop him and let Shiel run up and down a wing. Shiel is an upgrade on Durham, and while he is not a natural winger, I’d rather Shiel play wing than reduce the time someone like Hobbs spends in the middle. I’d also rather keep the front half pressure that Menzie, Guelfi and Snelling offer rather than squeeze Shiel into the forward line.

Tsatas is also someone who could squeeze Durham out. As could Cox. His job security isn’t particularly high IMO.

2 Likes

Yep he’s the player that will force Duz to find another trick I reckon, the thought of Tsatas on one wing and Martin on the other makes me :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

I think there is still a role somewhere for #clutchduz though, just gotta be a rotation or a flank. He’d go well as a HFF I reckon.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you guys are smoking. Duzza stays in. Shiel will have to find another spot to get into the team. Shiel can’t take contested marks and is only a one way runner and will eventually cheat and break his role and cost the team

21 Likes

Have been thinking about this but every week seems to bounce up with something different or more effort. Only a month or so ago really noticed the contested marking more. Will keep improving, still has to clean up some first touch fumbles, but runs hard, defensive side, good contested marking, tackles hard. Wouldnt be swapping him with Shiel as others have said. Will keep getting better.

4 Likes

Marks tall - tick
Hard at the ball - tick
Kicks clinch goals - tick
Doesn’t squib - tick
Will get better - tick

Would go to war with this bloke, no problems at all. There are a couple in the team I would have to think a lot harder on

10 Likes

I’d go to war with Menzies

He looks like a footballer

1 Like

Agreed, and I could say the same about most of our boys. Regrettably there are a couple that are invisible when the bullets start flying and if they can’t rise to the occasion on a more regular basis, simply need to go permanently.

I’d have Duz in the team always.

May be due a week as sub?

2 Likes