#23 David Myers Retyers

I think Myers is at an interesting stage of his career. He has been highly rated by many within the club for a long time without really producing anything of great substance. He’s demonstrated that he has talent but has never shown it consistently. Injuries have no doubt been an issue but they alone do not explain why he hasn’t delivered on his potential. Woosha doesn’t fall for the hype and makes sound evidence based decisions that look at the facts.

Character and great leadership qualities only count for so much. If he fails to deliver anything of real substance in the remainder of the year I think we will put him on the trade table while he still has currency. He would be of interest to the WA clubs at the very least one would think.

I hope he produces in the remainder of the year but if he doesn’t we now have the depth of talent to move him on.

3 Likes

I had a very revealing chat a few weeks ago with one of the key figures at EFC before the saga. He said that of all the returning players, there’s no-one he wanted to see succeed more that Myers. Such a nice guy, a real decent man etc etc.

4 Likes

Reading the above post, half of me is going, “big call given how much we all want Jobe to have success, he must indeed be a really great guy”

The other half is thinking, “well there’s his problem, the bloke needs to get some ■■■■ in him, then he’ll play better”.

:grin:

So many lines.
So many of them so very funny.
None of them polite.

I never get comments like this. If he’s going so poorly for the rest of the year that we want to trade him, why on earth would anyone pay anything decent for him? Even WA clubs? On the flip side, if he does well we won’t want to trade him.

It seems like people only ever want to trade players they’re not enthused with at that moment with, but somehow still think the club will get a good “price” for them at the trade table.

1 Like

I don’t care who replaces him, be it Bird, Langford, Hocking, Francis, Parish or anyone else who is - or even isn’t - match-fit, but Myers has to go. I’ve watched the Port demolition three times.

Once upon a time in a land far away, David Myers had potential — more potential than Cyril Rioli, it seems, but that time is long gone. Now he’s just a sad embarrassment.

I’m sorry for him, the way his career has been destroyed by injury, but the time for sentiment and understanding is over. He’s had his chances but now he’s just a useless lump of lard. It’s time to pension him off.

Great bloke

Big hoof

Average player

That’s lovely but can he get a kick any time soon?

Ease up numbnut. What a ■■■■■■■■ of a post.

12 Likes

“Let’s smash these ■■■■■!”

3 Likes

Agility of a mac Truck on a freeway full of sports cars.

The horn is loud, but gets a lot of flat tyres.

But the driver is a good bloke.

David Myers - Good bloke.

1 Like

Besides a couple of one eyed essendon supporters, who the ■■■■ would honestly believe he had more potential than rioli (well after drafting).

All he supposedly ever had was a big kick and “leadership” potential . The only reason some needed to view him as having more potential than rioli, are the ones who have tried to cover up what a monumental ■■■■ up it was not picking up rioli ( which will also be the ones who run over to bag richmond for picking tambling before buddy.)

I do feel sorry for him for similar reaons as you say.
I wouldn’t write him off just yet though, moreso cos of the way the coaches seem to be able to re focus the players, but think they need to do that at vfl, not afl level.

I don’t mind the lack of possessions persay. It’s the slow decision making and bad skill. you can’t base your game around fast smart movement of the ball, then have players who don’t fit that criteria playing esp when they are out of form.

1 Like

This was a problem early in his career but he worked his was through it. He’s on the record saying that the speed and pressure of AFL has increased over the last two years. Let’s give him some time to re-adjust.

As for his kicking, he’s not alone in being a bit rusty.

I think the club is doing the right thing trying to play him into form for the finals. Langford’s time will come - he’ll be a very good player, he just need to learn his craft in the VFL. Myers is already proven at AFL level, he just needs to regain some form.

5 Likes

I rarely post hear anymore.

But this comment is the worst

“A sad embarrassment”.

Are you real?

6 Likes

I wonder if the fact that we picked up Jetta and Davey in '06 made us less inclined to draft another small forward the following year.

It’ll click. He’s coming from further back than the others. As mentioned earlier, he’s important moving forward.

Is he though?

Hopes have long been pinned on him to be next in line post Jobe as our key clearance mid but…

Myers seemingly does not possess anywhere near the vision, composure or creativity of Jobe nor the skill set. He is tall and has a strong body that’s about where the comparisons end.

Langford at 20yrs old is tracking to go past Myers in his first year of playing as an inside mid.

If we get Hopper that will be two young players who move ahead of him in the inside mid roles.

Everyone touts his leadership as well and he isn’t even in our leadership group.

I might be in the minority but honestly I don’t see Myers as important moving forward at all.

Hindsight is wonderful but I’d have much rathered Myers got taken last year with clubs chasing and we kept Hibbo on 3yr deal instead.

3 Likes

The coaches are giving him every opportunity to regain his fitness and form. Next week he returns to the scene of his 2015 serious shoulder injury. 2 years and a handful of games later I wonder how he feels about that?

For all those people throwing stats out there:

Since mid 2010 when Myers started playing inside midfield;

• he has had 3 senior coaches.
  • all 3 have had him in the best 22 whenever fit
  • that’s 3 seperate coaches! Not including Bomber who was a massive wrap for him

These blokes know Myers skillset and what he brings to team more than most and a hell of alot more than any of us will ever know so quit your whinging.

If blitz was a senior coach it’d be known as crazy Vossy.

4 Likes