#23 David Myers Retyers

He had a poor game but was not our worst by a long way.

Came home from a family event on Fri night, after way too many single-malt whiskeys, and jumped on Blitz. Bad move. Could barely see the screen. Texting whilst blind is dumb. I referred to Myers as a ‘peaheart’. Cringed the next morning when I read my post. Felt terrible about it all day. Had it deleted. PP went in very hard to bat for him and was well-supported.

Going through the game day thread and other threads today, I reckon I counted half a dozen times when that word was used. Sometimes for a single player. Sometimes for the entire team. Still, plenty of passionate fans personally ripped shreds off Myers. Nothing personal, but he stank it up today and is completely cooked. And at his age, he isn’t going to get any better. Just play Langers or another kid.

The entire team stank it up today, so I guess it isn’t best to single out an individual player. Saying that, let’s accept that he is cooked, cut our losses and move on.

He was well-supported on Fri, but that support has magically disappeared today. You are judged on your performances. Again, he wasn’t alone at all with his lack of effort today. Most players should really have a hard look at themselves in the mirror tonight, coz, let’s face it, that team performance could best be described as ‘pea-hearted’.

1 Like

Thanks for your service to the club David, but don’t think you should play at AFL level again.

3 Likes

I think what I find the most hurtful is we brought Myers in because something about Langford not being able to something midfield.
I reckon I spotted Myers at about 4 centre bounces all night. True to form, he won 2 of them (both hurried snaps over the shoulder for turnovers). The rest of the time he was deep back or deep forward.
The disconnect between where he’s actually at and where the coaches hope or think he’s at is one thing.
The rubbish on here that he’s some Greg Williams genius around the packs, with a tireless workrate and endless stamina is on a whole other plane of self delusion.
When he does read it right, and that’s not instinctive to him, but does come when he’s in good form, he’s almost always the slowest guy in there, so he’s got a guy hanging off him. He doesn’t have a sidestep. His vision is narrow. His disposal is average.
He’s not in good touch.
He doesn’t run out games.
He’s got a terrible turning circle, he bends over like a pensioner, he’s poor overhead: he’s a liability anywhere other than midfield. But (in this form) he’s not good enough to cope in there either.
His body breaks down every other week.

He looked frigging lost, like “I went one pre-season too many” lost.

Load up that cannon.

3 Likes

Are you drunk? He was hopeless & gave more service to the dogs than us. If you honestly believe he was a long way from our worst then can you list the 7-8 players you think were somehow worse than him? He had an equal game high 6 turnovers, went at 56% disposal efficiency & he gave away double the frees of any of our players. Thats hopeless for even a young player & there should be no excuse for any senior player.

I don’t have much faith in the talent on our list not currently getting games but anything has to be better than the shyte Myers dished up today.

3 Likes

Easily our worst.

Easily. Utterly. Absolutely. Clearly.

They spent about 60 minutes of game time trying to find ways to get him away from the ball.

1 Like

Sure he can be a leader at the club.

He can lead, by helping the kids in the twos. Mainly by making way so kids like Clarke,Mutch,lav,Langford can have a real crack.

i’m not sure what your position on myersey is? :thinking:

1 Like

I dont blame him. Shouldnt have been selected. Should have played VFL for at least this week.

Was generally terrible today. He’s a much better player than he showed.

4 Likes

That was terrible today, I am sure David is feeling pretty bad about his performance too. There are a quite a few young blokes that are well ahead and deserve a spot in the 22.

Nothing to lose from playing the young blokes.

Thanks for your service David.

Man, I spent the best part of ten years ripping into this guy, then I spend one week trying to be positive about him, and this is how he repays me?

** Although I still believe that the majority of people who use terms like ‘peaheart’ are in fact peahearts themselves.

He’s not a peaheart, he’s just sh*t.

11 Likes

people talking like he will be dropped and never to be played again.

you guys do remember that he had to drop himself last year cos he didn’t believe his form was up to it, and that lasted 2 weeks.

Why would anything even remotely think, let alone believe he will be dropped ?

I can’t fault the person. he’ll probably demand he gets put back in the vfl to get form.

but the afl player just isn’t there.

when will we see the new essendon come through?

2 Likes

Watch the replay and then judge again. I feel for the guy as he seem to be one putting in the effort but he was atrociously bad today. When he didn’t turn it over his kicks went about 3 metres or he was giving away a free. He is the worst exponent of the handball in a team that is hopeless at this skill. I reckon it’s a career ending game. Would have been a better game if he didn’t touch it. I’m not trying to be nasty but when is enough, enough with these types of players.

2 Likes

Could have had Cyril if Sheedy had one more year.We get 2 spuds.Knights and Myers…The guy is not agile enough for the midfield… cannot kick on the right… takes 2 minutes to turn on the left… cannot defend one on one, but we drop a kid for him… pathetic.

1 Like

Surely we all know at this stage he will remarkably keep his spot next week.

Has too many mates on the selection committee.

2 Likes

Played his last game in the red and black as far as I’m concerned.

No he’s not

That’s the kind of game he’s produced consistently at senior level for years

He is a utter fkn liability

7 Likes

Anyone who has ever seen Myers pretend to be a defender knows that he’s not very good at it. Bringing him straight back in was dumb, but to guarantee his failure by playing him back shows just how clueless our coaches are.

2 Likes

He’s better than this, but these days, I’m not sure it’s by that much. For a midfielder, he’s always been extraordinarily blinkered in his vision, and lacking in agility. Now he’s a step slower, everyone else is a step quicker, and he’s almost never able to use his size to his advantage. His big weakness gets shown up, time and time again.

I reckon he’s probably in our best 22, just. But he wouldn’t be the only decent player from 2013-14 to be caught out by the way the game’s moved.

I just wish they’d ■■■■ off with this conceit that he’s a rolled gold midfield star, even when he’s 80% fit.
He was an embarrassment today, hard to see anyone in the side taking a positive from him being out there.