#23 David Myers Retyers

This deserves a bump for a laugh.

One good game after 10 years and then goes back to his old mediocre standard.

2 Likes

The sad thing is I felt that Myers game was well above his average performance.

Won clearances. Limited unforced turnovers.

He has played many many worse than that one.

1 Like

He turns to his left and grubs it down they park, cant kick or handball on green right. Absolute ■■■■ today, last week saved him.

Fixed

Not even close to being our worst

2 Likes

Judge him on his merits, not where he ranks as opposed to the steaming pile of poo that is our team.

Did he play a good game? It was extremely average. Poor disposal, zero creativity, but was a big body in the contest.

I’m sorry but this bloke epitomises our club. Keep persisting with him though, his breakthrough game is just around the corner FFS

1 Like

He played well for him, but no other club plays this type of player anymore. You need way more than generic clearance mid to be in a modem AFL side.

2 Likes

The worry today was that Myers was mainly matched up on Pendlebury - He actually matched Pendles at stoppages, but was outclassed in open play.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved Myers as he bleeds for the club and gives his all every time he steps on the field.

Sadly, his game is just not up to scratch for elite AFL level anymore although he would have have his uses in wet conditions.

Gotta say there’s a chance I went too early on that one.

2 Likes

Hmm said it after his good game last week and it kinda rings true. Myers should never be the guy that gets blamed for a loss… he is a middle of the road, bog average footballer who would have been cut years ago by most clubs.

He will have a few great games sprinkled in with some average ones and plenty of poor ones. Myers is a role player. He should be the guy that is part of the team but you don’t really “know” his name. The periphery, the cream… whatever you want to call it. Sort of like a guy like Howlett… a battler but not a star.

Part of the problem with our team because he should not be getting games ahead of kids who MIGHT be better than plodders… guys like Langford or Laverde who still have a chance of becoming good/great players. We are never going to move forward whilst guys like Myers are in the team. Even if he does produce a blinder every now and then.

1 Like

think the word youre looking for is list clogger.

LOL… yeah probably. BUT sometimes those guys can play a role. Like when we have a 4 day break or 3 games in 11 days and someone like Myers comes in for a week on the back of VFL form and ‘does a job’ then goes back to the magoos.

But yeah… list clogger works!

The trouble with list cloggers like Myers is more about his age.

If he were performing with these inconsistencies and he were 21 then you could understand it.

He is 28 or whatever he is and is effectively taking the place of a kid with a far greater ceiling that may not contribute as much in the short term but will hopefully improve us long term.

I would say that good sides have two, maybe three players that are playing regularly that are inconsistent and those players are generally rotated in and out of the side with the back ups.

I would say we are carrying 6 or 7 players that still have question marks over them and yet we still don’t rotate them out.

We have a lot of players getting opportunities based on name or past deeds.

1 Like

I don’t think he was in our worse 3 or 4 in the midfield. Not sure why he got singled out today.

1 Like

Whenever he gets the ball in traffic I know it is a good time to go to the toilet or the bar. In either case he has normally just completed his blind, over the shoulder kick or handball by the time I get back.

Does it matter what his output is in comparison to the rest of the midfield?

It’s his output across a whole season and how much influence he has when he plays well.

He is inconsistent from week to week and even his good games are only good when you compare it to previous performances.

He’s an average footballer in every regard and wouldn’t get a game anywhere else.

1 Like

Who did he outperform?

Because he’s a soon to be 29 year old member of the leadership group who’s made a career out of average performances like that. He had 1 score involvement from his 20 touches and 6 clearances. He simply doesn’t hurt the opposition regularly and never has. We’re entitled to expect more of our senior players

1 Like