#23 David Myers Retyers

Myers is too slow to play at the centre bounces.

Did you miss him doing just that for the last ten years?

4 Likes

Actually he did.

He was matched on cripps for the first half of the 3rd qtr including center bounces.

And then a couple in the last qtr.

2 Likes

With the new centre bounces rules I think it’ll be too open and his pace will be exposed. Stoppages around the ground generally I think it’ll be ok

Or, given the new rules, when Belly taps it straight into his hands Myers will have more space himself to use that booming left foot.
Glass half full or glass half empty?

1 Like

That particular glass was broken long ago.

1 Like

I saw at the vfl practice match that Clarke was getting exposed by faster players at the center bounce. The extra space seems to reduce the contested aspect of the role. Time will tell, may just be practice match low contact style.

For me more space means the guys with the ball have more time and this suits “slower” players like David Myers.

In any case, doesn’t matter how quick you are if you cannot get your hands on the pill.

1 Like

Didn’t he win most improved last year? If this trend continues…

1 Like

It was out of him and Bags.

1 Like

2018: David Myers breakout year.

1 Like

FYI Myers was 12th in the league for average centre clearances last year. It’s where he does his best work.

3 Likes

Actually he did. Was on Cripps in a centre bounce

Cripps is slow but seems to have time to execute whereas Myers is probably a little faster but is generally rushed. Anyway, the comment on the speed of players and the 666 (symbol for the devil… AFL… devil… hmmm) rule is irrelevant in isolation. If your good enough (Cripps), your strengths far outweigh any perceived weakness/disadvantage)

That’s exactly where you play your slowest smalls?

1 Like

Clarke is 188cm. ( 6ft 1 1/2 ) Its not like he is a nippy little rover
Myers is 191cm (6 ft 3) certainly not a nippy little rover
Rover size players ( Merret, McGrath, Parish ) will always expose these guys for speed.
On the other hand Myers and to a lesser extent Clarke can bump them out of the way when over the ball.

1 Like

Why didn’t Myers play JLT1?

Wasn’t invited.

1 Like

There’s still just as many people in the centre square as there was. Myers strength is his contesting one on one with other inside mids, not weaving through the waves of oncoming opposition, which will now be half a second behind.

FYI:

2 Likes

At quarter time, a whole bunch of Essendon players happened to move into the seats around me…Myers appeared to be the most engaged in studying the game underway, and analysing the on-field set ups. He was pointing at areas of the ground and discussing it with primarily McNiece…I think he had some paper to take notes, and took off first at half time…Outwardly, all the players looked in good health.

3 Likes