#23 David Myers Retyers

He ran headlong into a blokes boot a fortnight ago, getting his face rearranged in the process.

Hardly the actions of a squib, I dare say.

2 Likes

Might wanna check your facts there fella. I’ve never called him that but I do maintain he squibbed those contests yesterday. Use whatever term you like, short steps etc but fact remains he had a chance to impact the game and contest and as a leader we should expect that. He did not.

Absolutely you didn’t call him that. Another poster did last night (and apologised).

Well you inferred that Sunbury did. So that’s on you for misleading people. Because calling someone a weak dog is not a light thing.

Myers squibbed some contests yesterday. But he certainly has never been a weak dog.

We won the midfield despite Myers. Curiously, Parish got thrown in the mix more in the second half, and guess what, he had more possessions in the 2nd half than Myers had all game.

Big bodies is starting to become a real lame excuse. So is midfield mix.

What exactly is Myers adding to the mix in the midfield that Parish, Mynott or Guelfi can’t?

And don’t say big body.

1 Like

I didn’t intend to ‘mislead’ anyone and would be surprised if I have.

It’s all here in this thread. Last night Myers was called a ‘weak dog’ and I said I disliked it. Sunbury said he’s a squib and I dislike it.

I dislike the use of words used by posters to describe a player that has represented the club that we all support for a decade and is a clearly seen as a leader by our players and coaching staff.

As people keep telling me, they are entitled to their say, as are I.

3 Likes

That is inferring you are calling him out for saying he is a weak dog.

Bad form if he didn’t, which quite clearly it looks as if he didn’t.

• I agree with your dislike of term weak dog. That is gutless and Myers deserves better.

Not sure how you could say we won the midfield - they had more disposals & more inside 50’s. Shiel & Merrett were prolific but less effective than Pendelbury & Treloar & there’s no doubt that their next group of mids (guys like Adams, Beams Crisp) were more effective than our group including guys like Myers, Hepp & Parish. Add in Grundy clearly dominating TBell in the middle & we lost the midfield but were better in the other parts of the ground.

2 Likes

Per favore, non di più.

Fair point.

I thought we won the midfield after qtr time.

Guelfi, Parish, Merret, Heppell had 25 after qtr time and Walla got up the ground more. they all got involved and we controlled the tempo after qtr time but disposal let us down.

Would call it a very minor win / even contest after qtr time.

• Also fair to say Pies style of play leads to lots of disposals. But let’s be honest, Beams & Phillips were pretty inneffectual. Adams, Pendles and Treloar were a lot better than any of their other high possession players.

Their better mids were able to execute skills a lot more cleanly under pressure than ours. I thought Heppell struggled all day & even though he was our best, Shiel butchered so much of it. Our mids had it enough but skills really faltered under the conditions & thats my biggest worry for any potential future finals. I though our backline was very good even in the early onslaught & JD & stringer looked the most dangerous forwards on the ground. I thought Collingwood dictated the way we played & hence minimised our ability to capitalise. They were also able to counter with better outside run through the middle whereas we were too reliant on our halfbacks then either kicking long hoping JD would mark or turning it over trying to go back into the middle. We really missed some class cameos from Fanta.

3 Likes

Fair enough. As I say, this was not my intention and I said in a follow up that ‘absolutely’ he did not say this. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that people had read all the posts in this thread since the end of the yesterday’s game and were aware of who had said what.

Personally, I wish people could discuss the merits or otherwise of players without the need to name call, ridicule or label. I reckon a guy who’s given his best for us for a decade deserves better from ‘his’ supporters. Of course I don’t get to write the rules, but I do get to write my thoughts.

I’ve said number of times, I’d like a player to play this role but I don’t believe we have one and don’t believe that Parish, Hams or Langford can.

3 Likes

I agree with most of that. Good assessment.

But I think we got the game on our terms through most of the 2nd half and the last 10 mins if the second qtr.

Just poor execution.

Pies play safer football. There mids are going to look cleaner. But Pendles was the cleanest player in the match by 1000% so that glosses over the other Pies mids who I think battled to make a meaningful impact.

Fair call. I personally like Myers but think he gets more chances than others. I also think our style is a fast paced style and you can’t have Myers and Hepp in one midfield when your strength is pace.

Anyway.

So what is Myers role?

2 Likes

Firstly, I thought he had a poor game yesterday. He needed to get more of the footy and have a greater influence.

I know some think ‘big bodied’ mid is an overrated term but I don’t. He’s 6’3 and has good balance and rarely loses his footing. We have a lot of the same in Shiel, Zerrett, Dev, Parish, Zaka and McG who go through the middle. These guys hunt the footy as does Hepp. I think a player with size and strength (we only have Hepp and Myers) is, if not vital, at the least very useful. Yesterday I saw him stand and block Adams at a centre bounce and Adams was unable to get near the footy. We then back Shiel and Zerret, with protection, to beat the opposition two.

Now this in itself does not justify a game and as I say, to be a no brainer selection he needs to do this as well as accumulate and impact around the ground more than he has been doing. I think he had a good year last year and ideally, when playing well, he is a point of difference to most of our mids. I don’t think Parish, Lang or Hams could provide this and I think this would hinder Shiel, Zerrett, Hepp etc.

Very happy for someone to play this role better than Myers, I just don’t see who that is at this stage.

4 Likes

Lots of throwing darts about Myers performance but missing his fundamental weakness - He can do a decent job matched up to an inside mid who has few tricks - BUT when an inside mid is decent on the outside, then Myers is all at sea.

Squib is usually used in footy to mean soft, weak, avoiding contact etc and therefore in that context has absolutely no relevance to Myers. Most supporters sacrifice nothing significant or meaningful towards a victory for our club, whereas Myers puts his welfare on the line, yet many misinformed keyboard warriors question his ticker and refuse to acknowledge his achievements in 2018.
Criticise his skills, decision making or place in the 2019 team structure, but if you want to be taken seriously stop questioning his courage or dedication which is beyond anything you or I will ever contribute to our footy club.

15 Likes

How is he unable to get his arms free to dish out handpasses that even a twig like raz or parish could?

He’s just not a very instinctive player

1 Like

We won the midfield.

Ignore JBOMB.