#23 David Myers Retyers

Myers is no coward. However he is slow of mind & body.

IMO David will not be in our next premiership nor will bags. Play the guys that may please Woosha !!!

Yep.
Very uncharacteristic for Myersy. Normally loves the contact.

2 Likes

Bit hard on Langford, he has not played for 3 weeks, dropped from AFL, Vfl bye and then did not play vfl last week.

After Thursday I am joining the move Myers on, at games you do notice his blocking etc but the couple of occasions when he appeared to stop going for the ball when he was the closest player were not good. His game , although different skills and roles, reminded me of Goddard at times last year, signs that time has passed him by.

1 Like

I think that is a good insight. I like Myers, but on the spectrum of instinctiveness:
‘mechanical’ :end: Myers :end: 'Heppell :end: Walla

Langford can at least go forward. Myers is 1 dimensional and the position he is supposed to be good at isn’t that good.

1 Like

Nailed it. We all discuss aspects of the game, and analyze passages of play to the tenth degree as we make our own personal assessments of players, which is all well and good, and to be encouraged.

Don’t attack the personal character of the player, play the ball, not the man was an old adage we used to hear when we kids learning to play this game, it still applies here. Name calling is not on, and should b challenged where and when it is used to denigrate a player.

I have been a so-so supporter of David Myers, his performances have not been all that convincing in the past. The ANZAC day game was simply not good enough, he looked slow, hesitant and reactive, when others were taking the game on. He should not hold his place in the senior team, after such an insipid performance. His size becomes irrelevant, if he is not using it to impact contests. The Tigers don’t really have a big bodied midfielder, but they do all right in that part of the ground.

The game has passed Myers by, it has over taken him quickly. Ridley and Redman have both shown what can happen when you put some game time into younger players, than rose the demands and occasion. I can’t see David Myers rising to any more great heights, he reached his ceiling some time ago, and it is time he made way for someone else.

5 Likes

Guy’s, we need to lay off Myers…

He finally showed last year, after 10 seasons, that he can be a serviceable OK player. You don’t win most improved player at 29 for nothing.

So even though he has been poor this season, remember, he did finally show us last season, after a whole decade, he can be OK. Most improved remember?

Plenty of upside

1 Like

The “big body” stuff above Myers is BS. Walla is 10 kg lighter and 25 cm shorter and he has much more impact in the centre because he attacks the ball or the bloke with the ball.

7 Likes

lets get Ryan O’Connor out of retirement - he had a BIG body!

A big body is useful but it doesn’t make up for deficiencies in every other area of the game.

1 Like

He had a poor game. It happens. He’ll come back and contribute again though. He is really good at limiting opposition midfielders impact. When he plays accountable roles his numbers drop. People read the numbers and say he has no impact. They used to think the same about Ambrose until recently. But everybody’s and expert and all that.

2 Likes

Do you have examples of this? Apart from the fact that multiple discussions on these boards have lamented the fact that Woosha doesn’t tag, I think the oppositions best mids feasting on us week after week has been a mainstay during most of Myers tenure.

Poor excuse for a joke. Lame and tacky.

2 Likes

Just watch him around stoppages. Whenever he’s on an oppositions best mid he just muscles them away from the ball. He did it a lot last year.

2 Likes

Watch him away from stoppages.

2 Likes

I get that his best strength is in those pack situations, hence the big body needed, but I’d argue that there are very few purely inside mids & its outside the packs that mids do the most damage. THis is where Myers is particularly weak & ineffective at curtailing an opponent.

2 Likes

I don’t really disagree with that. I was just commenting that his numbers don’t paint the full picture.

2 Likes

I think the bigger joke is that he’s in the side, cause… big body you know… blocking…

Meanwhile lets drop Parish again…a future ten year player who will only improve (Myers won’t). Myers has had ample opportunities, how about giving Parish some time in his preferred position. FMD its not rocket science these guys are the future Myers…he is history.

3 Likes

Myers does have the highest winning percentage of any player on our list- which is remarkable considering the era he has played through.

Read into that what you will :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When’s the last time he had a really good 30+ possession game that made you sit back and go “wow, awesome game!”. Because I can certainly remember the times when he’s had about 16 odd possessions and thought any kid could do a better job or I’d rather a kid be tried. What’s that, he protects the kids and blocks? Sorry, modern day footballers can actually do both, get the ball and use their body and find outside ball. It’s a huge weakness if you only have one tool in the arsenal, and that tool is an average tool. If his body is what’s keeping him in the side then I hope we draft the biggest state league footballer and play them instead of him. Give me Guefli in the middle any day.

This year he’s had:
R1: 12 possessions
R2: 20 possesions
R4: 19 possessions
R5: 17 possesions
R6: 14 possessions

If you want to know why we’ve been a middle of the road side for years it’s because we’ve accepted mediocrity and trying to kid ourselves that a guy that has had one 30 possession game (2011) is one of our senior midfielders. I’d rather try the risk of trying to find another Zerrett then play the tired and true Myers. The reason why we can’t play him down back is because he’s an awful defender and the reason he doesn’t play forward is because he’s too slow and can’t mark well.

9 Likes