#23 David Myers Retyers

Well look - you may be right, of course. And you certainly are not the most vocal or vehement detractor of Myers. The fact remains, though, that given the lack of info, the odds are that you are wrong.

Perhaps Myers is doing something in the middle which is allowing us to win the contested ball?

What might appear like he is falling over, might actually be a tactic he uses to trip his opponent and therefore allow us to win the ball.

4 Likes

the odds are looking more and more in favour of saucy

2 Likes

David’s numbers for a midfielder is poor, averaging 16 possessions a game at 59% efficiency. They’re numbers of a kid trying to make his way in the big time. I get the need to have a big body in the midfield “short” of them but surely it’s time for Clarke (Langford seems out of favour at the moment) to get a run? He can do no worse than what David if offering the team at the moment.

1 Like

This is worryingly close to what some of the people defending Myers have actually posted on this thread lately. However, they aren’t joking when they say it.

1 Like

And when Langford asks to leave at the end of the year and we get a 3rd rounder for him YOU WILL LIKE IT!

1 Like

And when the 3rd round pick turns out to be another Orazio, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

1 Like

I’ve suggested this before, but anyway - Myers is a known quantity. The others you mention are developing, with unattained ceilings. That does figure into selections, but maybe not in the way some think it does.

1 Like

I’ve given up on the Myers getting dropped beliefs…

I just hope he improves coz we need him to lift

1 Like

There’s been quite a lot of average players been moved on over the years, by various coaches.

Dyson, Lonergan, Slattery, Prismall all don’t play for us any more, but Myers does.

I can buy that one ‘not-successful’ coach got this wrong, maybe even 2. But four? That’s a pretty remarkable coincidence.

YT has a point. It’s not a ‘case-closed’ kinda point, but it does highlight that it’s very likely Myers does a lot of work unseen by the supporters in the stand.

Is this enough? That’s a whole other argument, and I personally think he’d wanna be doing simply remarkable things ‘unseen’ to make up for his other deficiencies. But it’s clear there’s ‘something’ we don’t see. Clearly.

2 Likes

i honestly think that is where the bulk of the frustration comes from. You know what you are going to get from Myers( which isn’t good enough to be playing in the 1’s imo or at the very least be selected so consistently) Whereas you don’t know what you are going to get from a youngster, but it could end up being so much more than what Myers provides.

If I were the sole selector, it would be different.
We’d probably lose even more games, though.

1 Like

if i was selector we wouldn’t have any more players or coaches as i would of fired them all into a cannon.

1 Like

That’s the same if I was a mod on this place!

Don’t know how you guys restrain yourselves tbh?

The comment was “they are terrible coaches”. The fact they have won Premierships seems to be pretty fkn categorical proof they were not terrible coaches. They obviously know what they are doing when it comes to picking talented sides to win Premierships.

The point about the coaches didn’t have as much to do with their success as it did to do with the fact it’s multiple coaches. It isn’t just “Woosha’s pet” like Blitz says - he’s been favoured by every single coach he has ever played under. Now, who knows more about what a player brings to the side, how well he performs his role, how he fits into our structure than coaches? Every. Single. One.

The fact we have had some coaches with premiership experience is a secondary point to the fact that inside the club they maybe know a little bit fkn more than us on Blitz.

Our winning percentage since Myers has been playing is higher than EVERYONE ELSE THROUGHOUT THAT PERIOD OF TIME is kind of decent evidence that it’s not Myers causing us to lose games of football by himself. In fact, it leans more to arguing that he plays a role in winning games of football. It is peak Blitz to say “nope that doesn’t matter” when any stat is thrown up that contradicts the opinion you hold.

The problem is Bomberblitz wants to judge his ability to get 25 touches and six tackles a game. The forum wants to define what his role is and then score his ability based off that, and not what his actual role is. It’s akin to basing an opinion on Joe Daniher off his ability to get 12 rebound from 50’s per game, simply because that’s what I think the role should be.

Lastly, what is my opinion on Myers? I haven’t stated it (except the other day in this thread where I called for him to be dropped).

2 Likes

One thing he did do well in either the first quarter or third was switch off half back too Hooker which set up a goal I think.

At this stage we were struggling with ball movement (mainly coz pies were aware of our want to switch or use corridor). His booming 60m found Hooker and the members wing was so open coz of how quickly we got it across there.

Not many others would have been able to pull off this kick

1 Like

No good anymore just a backup player

Too slow, doesn’t attack the footy, skills aren’t good slams it onto his boot, plus he squibbed twice on Anzac Day

Langford would be better even if not in full form

3 Likes

Settle down champ I know that it was meant to be a Neagle jumper, remember.

There are things we know that we know. There are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also things we don’t know we don’t know.

3 Likes

You would hope that Myers is shutting down their best midfielder to justify his numbers. On face value it doesn’t look like he got anywhere near a collingwood midfielder on Anzac Day.

At least with Ambrose you know you might not get many touches from him but more than likely neither will the best opposition forward.