#23 David Myers Retyers

Agree. Limited on the talent side of the equation but big on the heart/effort side.

4 Likes

You don’t agree?

I reckon Bags and Myers got everything out of themselves, played with passion and attacked contests hard. They just weren’t very good.

I’m not satisfied with any of their performances.

The point is singling out a guy who has effectively retired and ONLY played because literally nobody else was capable of walking is peak Blitz whipping boy.

His intensity and effort in and around contests was good, he just can’t get to them anymore.

7 Likes

I have no idea what metric you base this on in terms of Myers. Baguley was an elite small defender at one point and turned into a handy defensive forward. Myers has basically played a full 12 year career, and done basically fark all. A great example of why this club has been poor for so long.

2 Likes

I hope he gets to play finals footy in the VFL. He will be too old before Essendon make the finals in the AFL Comp.

1 Like

Getting everything out of themselves I agree with. But the fact they played as often as they did, especially Myers, says alot about how we have been the past 15 years.

3 Likes

Yeah. Because there’s been no other factors involved.

i think he is going to have to “drop” himself this week, because the coaches arent going to do it

he has had 2-3 seasons of really good football. The rest, yuck

I don’t blame him for being on the list for this long. I place all the blame on the list management and the selectors who continue to play him when he has shown he isn’t up to it

1 Like

You’re a bit like a broken record this week mate. Lay off the coffee.

2 Likes

Just last season Myers (off only 16 games) had the 4th most contested possessions and 3rd most clearances in our team.

Average per game he was equal with Hepp in clearances and marginally behind Hepp and Zach for contested possessions and they were the only three to average 10 per game.

He had a good season.

1 Like

In your opinion, do you think one good season justifies a 12 year career?

1 Like

He’s also had an massive amount of injuries, mental health struggles and a year off because of the saga. Most things in his career have gone against him. People should be more respectful of Myers.

7 Likes

Bags was a very good defender for a number of years. And yes he got every mm of talent out of himself.

3 Likes

Doesn’t warrant a 12 year career. Hard decisions need to be made sometimes.

He ended up benefitting from the saga. He got a three year deal because of it. He never should have gotten a three year deal based on his output.

1 Like

I think that he has had a very serviceable career and last year in particular was influential. There hasn’t been a single season where, personally, I would have delisted him. Certainly not after what he produced last season.

He isn’t a big guy but due to personnel available he has had to play the midfield bullock. He always took on physical contact for the benefit of others. The players view him as a leader and listen to what he says and he has been influential.

I’ve seen him play a few VFL games and what he gives the players by way of direction, advice and support says a lot about him. On top of this he has been just about the best players in every game he’s played in the seconds.

So yes, I am happy for him to have a 12 year career and I don’t think that last year was his only good year.

8 Likes

Hi David hi

Won a ‘most improved’ in what, his 11th year? Says a lot.

1 Like

i don’t drink coffee

it’s a fair point though. History has proven that he will need to drop himself to not be in the team

David Grenvold was serviceable. Mark Johnson was serviceable. Hell, even Barry Young was serviceable.
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t call 120 games over 12 years serviceable at all.
For me, he’s been frustratingly underwhelming and has never shown any indication of why he was a number 6 draft pick.
I’m sure he’s a great bloke and all, but I would’ve happily traded him back to WA at any point if we could’ve gotten anything halfway decent in return (same with Colyer).

2 Likes