#23 David Myers Retyers

I doubt it. He was injured, not provisionally suspended

1 Like

Nothing would surprise with those clowns, but there were definitely guys who were out injured at the end of 2015 - lots of them, and they all came back at the same time.

So it is still all James Hird fault, move on people, Infiltrated , destroyed and now we have rebuilt, look ahead please!!

Is the 94 in your name, the year of your birth or your IQ?

Think you are over-rating yourself.

Much praise to Myers for continuing to raise awareness for metal health, harder and braver than you could imagine opening up and exposing yourself, sadly many still view it as a weakness to expose themselves so to speak. Some find it easy, some hide behind themselves their whole lifes until the end. Continuing to improve resources available both in and after football is something that need to addressed and improved, and good on Myers for opening himself up. One of the biggest battles you’ll fight in life is with your mind.

Also, I know it’s a popular theme, but berating other users for a difference of opinion is completely unproductive and doesn’t make you a better person for trying to abuse a person for being unaware of the effects mental health can have, and the depths it can bring a person. Infact it seems pretty stupid to on one hand preach and then on the other hand do the exact opposite to others, whom might have no resources to lean on or support. Instead of name calling and basically sh*tting on people’s opinions (which I can assure you will only serve to cause animosity and grudges) maybe using that same time to try spread some positive or potentially teaching experiences to those that perhaps aren’t as aware. In this case, correct me if I’m wrong, but Alex is basically saying that his mental health shouldn’t be used as a pass for keeping him in the side? Not quite sure he’s actually shat on his mental health or anything, and he’s actually right. If a player is in poor form then they shouldn’t be in the side. That’s spot on. I’m hoping in the future that if more players open up then it’ll encourage others to do the same and you’ll see more players stepping back to remove themselves for a period to get their minds right. I don’t think enough players do it. Because that in most cases will improve form more than trying to fight through it.

As for his on field form, Myers still has the chance to end his career on a great note from a mostly disappointing career being held back from injuries and poor form, and whilst improved this year with some outstanding individual performances still lacks consistency. Will a good pre-season fix this? Maybe. All I know is his best in amazing, and we don’t see it enough. I’ll be honestly surprised if he’s still in the side come end of next year, I see our younger midfield improving to a point where I don’t see a role other than maybe a depth role. I’m very excited for next year, and Myers at his best for a whole season is an exciting prospect. I don’t have an egg in this race, I just comment on what I see on field but I do fully support any fights against mental demons. As for his mental health battles, all the best to him, I hope the club gets around him and I’d be disappointed if the club didn’t go out of it’s way to give the man everything he needs. Either way his left leg will go into the hall of fame for legs with Scotty Lucas, could we somehow clone that leg for future generations?

7 Likes

I swear you’ve used this quip more than several times.

Then you are a farking slow slow learner

And did he lose that glorious mo?

That’s pretty much it. People seem to be indicating it explains the coaches decision to keep him in the team but I don’t see how?

Ok.

FFS he David didn’t even realise it was a mental health issue, now he is dealing with it. The coaches are not reading peoples minds, so WOW

Good post.

On the flip side of it is those having a crack at someone having difference in opinion are sometimes just covering self esteem and persecution issues. sometimes it’s just a personality trait, but I think from personal experience Its developed as a coping mechanism to show you’re in control of at least something.

1 Like

yes

3 Likes

I’m also on this side. Are we really saying if you have a mental illness, you can stay in the team forever? It should be treated like any illness or injury - between the player and the football club you hope it gets identified, and treated. If a player can play with it, great. But if its holding the team back, I’m not sure why you would keep the player in. I’m also not sure how keeping someone in the side with a mental illness where they know they’re hurting the sides’ chances is somehow good for them either.

2 Likes

Yeah, the players really do love the bloke as exemplified by the rapport between Smith and Myers. There’s a connection there and when a newbie like Smith waits and waits to help the bloke up from the ground during a game (against Port I think), it shows genuine care. There’s also, a certain dynamism about David that could very well go to another level in ‘19 as he better manages his “fragile” body and becomes more assured. I’m looking forward to him tearing a few games apart next year.

4 Likes

Time for the first 2019 post on Myers.

Impressed with his Blitz preseason form.
Another player who got better/ more entrenched in more Best 22’s by not actually playing a game.
Way to go David.
Early lead in the Blitz ‘Most Improved 2019’?

3 Likes

Missed him against Carlton if he was playing guys like Cripps and Walsh wouldn’t be getting a free run out of the middle.

Myers,Laverde,Heppel,Smith,Merret in the middle

Shiel,McGrath,Parish,Langford,Zaka on the outside.

2 Likes

Laverde in the middle?

FFS…he didn’t go to one centre bounce.

1 Like

I know that but that’s where he should play

Your opinion.

I think if they want to play him in the midfield he needs to do it in the VFL for a while first.
Personally I think he’ll never be a mid

1 Like