23 days until the trade period...Upgrade of our MIDFIELD!

Rope selection?

Tall. Good draft for tells this year.
Speed
Speed
Rookie
Ruck
Speed
Speed

agree we need more speedy players.

need an inside midfielder with pace - like a caddy type.

Outside mid with pace

small forward with pace who can also spend time in the midfield.

Backup ruckman

promising tall forward to develop - 193+ minimum height

they all need to be good users of the footy.

Our first pick 19 needs to be best available - like last year, not purely needs.

If Goddard is there we nab him.

We only need two new players imo

Hard bodied midfielder who gets the ball....and a goal sneak small forward...

The rest we have covered through trying to do the best with the talent we have. 

I'd be very surprised if we didn't take at least two/three talls in this draft/trade period.  Especially if Gregory gets delisted, double-especially if Ryder goes (though I don't think that is likely).  Having Ben Fricking Brown knock us out of a very winnable elimination final cos we had nobody over 190cm to go to him once Fletch/Jake were ruled our isn't something the club will forget for a while I think/hope..

Tis a hard situation really and a catch 22, in all reality if we had young developing backman they'd prolly have struggled against Brown Also (esp with the lack of pressure up the ground on the ball carrier/kicker)

yet you can't have ready made KPP just sitting in the VFL for most of the year as backup just incase what happened to us did, not to many players are willing to do that.

Maybe the club should look to using the rookie system to address that area and draft mature backman on the understanding that they are their cos they are solid enough to fill a hole for a short while if needed, but not atm good enough to be playing consistently.

But again it's a hard situation to get right, esp when the structures up field break down.

The exact problem is the only half decent tall prospect outside the 22 is a rookie - with Pears & Thurlow utterly broken, Gregory still a while off - that's it!

Any (main list) tall who was half decent in the twos would've had plenty of opportunities - Hooker missed a couple, Hurley missed a couple, Ambrose missed ~6, Fletch missed ~5, Carlisle missed a couple, Joe missed a couple, Paddy missed a couple, Bellcho missed almost the whole year.
All those guys opened up spots who we sort of patched with either Bellcho, Hardingham, DVU or Goddard/Watson. Patch jobs - won't cut it.

For 2015, Ambrose definitely goes onot the main list (best 22), Stein (the only depth) is probably 60/40, still leaves us pushing it uphill for depth with a very very old incumbent.

We need depth - more than 1 guy - we can actually use when required.

When people say Vanilla/Plodder do they mean Ashby, Hibbo, Kommer,Hams, Merrets, Gleeson etc? Perhaps some are still sore about not picking up Garlett. None of these boys are plodders...Drafting Long was probably our biggest recent mistake, even though I would've microwaved my membership if we didn't pick him up. 

In my opinion, we don't need an upgrade of the midfield. We have elites in Heppell, Watson and Goddard. Fringing on elite there's Zaharakis and Stanton (I know he's had an inconsistent season). On top of this we have so much young talent coming through. Our midfield is fine, our defense is fantastic- we have had a very settled back six for most of the season and it looks great. 

If there's an area we need to improve throughout the trade period, it's our forward line. Daniher and Carlisle will both be star forwards but while they develop we will need other avenues to goal. Our key forwards are Daniher, Carlisle and Ambrose as a third tall. We have little depth in the department of tall forwards, so perhaps pursuing another tall would be a good idea. Another exciting small forward is necessary for depth, especially with Licka's likely retirement looming and Jetta leaving the club. 

If Ryder does leave, it will leave a big hole in our line-up as our only able ruckmen would be Carlisle and Daniher (both of whom we need in the forward line) and Bellchambers. I have heard little on the development of big Fraser Thurlow and Sean Gregory, so I don‘t know what we would look like in the ruck department if Ryder was to go. 

I made this comment a while ago, but now I can see the need for an 'upgrade' of our midfield as well. We simply need another player or two with pace, an outside runner that can run and carry and hit our forwards. Colyer played this role excellently this year, and we can expect more of the same next year, but apart from him, no others really stand out. We do have a very good midfield, great stoppage players, but we lack pace when compared to other teams. 

In my opinion, we don't need an upgrade of the midfield. We have elites in Heppell, Watson and Goddard. Fringing on elite there's Zaharakis and Stanton (I know he's had an inconsistent season). On top of this we have so much young talent coming through. Our midfield is fine, our defense is fantastic- we have had a very settled back six for most of the season and it looks great. 

If there's an area we need to improve throughout the trade period, it's our forward line. Daniher and Carlisle will both be star forwards but while they develop we will need other avenues to goal. Our key forwards are Daniher, Carlisle and Ambrose as a third tall. We have little depth in the department of tall forwards, so perhaps pursuing another tall would be a good idea. Another exciting small forward is necessary for depth, especially with Licka's likely retirement looming and Jetta leaving the club. 

If Ryder does leave, it will leave a big hole in our line-up as our only able ruckmen would be Carlisle and Daniher (both of whom we need in the forward line) and Bellchambers. I have heard little on the development of big Fraser Thurlow and Sean Gregory, so I don‘t know what we would look like in the ruck department if Ryder was to go. 

I made this comment a while ago, but now I can see the need for an 'upgrade' of our midfield as well. We simply need another player or two with pace, an outside runner that can run and carry and hit our forwards. Colyer played this role excellently this year, and we can expect more of the same next year, but apart from him, no others really stand out. We do have a very good midfield, great stoppage players, but we lack pace when compared to other teams. 

Yep pace and run and spread.

Colyer good and zaka ok speed wise

rest are plodders - Heppell, watson, goddard, hocking, howlett, Myers

having slow mids also mean we lose what advantage we had with ryder being fast for a ruck.

Zac & Jackson merrett will improve our speed. Zac might get a crack in on ball rotation, Jackson on a wing will improve our spread from stoppages and i loved his delivery into the forwardline earlier in the year.

Gleeson i have pencilled in the backline, but if he moves up onto a wing this will improve as well.

Depends if we lose Paddy or not.

If we do we need a back-up ruckman, and maybe 2 depending on if Thurlow is retained. If Paddy stays then I'd be looking a forward/ruckman type on the main list, and a late pick/rookie ruckman. As we've seen, we struggle to play Ryder and Belly in the same team, and if Ryder is to go then I see no reason why we should replicate the problem with a high profile ruckman (such as Leuenberger). A developing, role play ruckman is fine.

Otherwise we need outside pace and run. Some of that may already be on the list and developing, but another would be handy. One with x-factor, another run all day type (like Stanton). Must be good users of the ball, and nice if they can win their own ball, but that's a rare type.

Need to look at another big-bodied inside mid to supplement existing stocks, and to develop as a replacement for Watson & Goddard, both getting on. I say big body because we have plenty of smaller bodies coming through.

I see Fantasia as our next small forward/mid, but we could do with another. I like the idea of bringing Tippa in as a defensive forward with pace, and a bit of flair going the other way.

All of this is well and good in theory, but in reality asking a lot. Limited, and late, draft picks makes it tricky.

Notice how many teams are being overrun in the third and last quarter? The game has changed. Players like Fyfe are the modern AFL midfielders. They are lean and quite tall, not very heavy but very quick, they can play inside in packs, but most of all they can run all day. 

Notice how many teams are being overrun in the third and last quarter? The game has changed. Players like Fyfe are the modern AFL midfielders. They are lean and quite tall, not very heavy but very quick, they can play inside in packs, but most of all they can run all day. 

Yeah I don't think anyone's really arguing we shouldn't pick him up if available - it's more the fact that pigs still don't appear to fly and hell still seems to be warmish in climate and there's about 600 other guys who are significantly more likely to be available.

Does Rich still play footy?

ACL this year.

ACL this year.

yeh hes still at lions.

Rope selection?

Autocorrect - top selection

from the stanton thread

arguably the boldest thing we could do would be to put up one of hurely or carlisle and try get someone like ryan griffen or delidio and a 2nd rounder - but i suspect such a trade would result in blitz suffering from an irrecoverable driver error.

regardless FWIW

bags hooker fletch

gleeson carlisle hibbard

zaha Jobe Zmerrett

Tbell Hepp Griffen

BJ JD Colyer

Chappy Ryder Ambrose

HOcking myers stanton

doesn't look all together too bad does it?

hell maybe we will end up trading ryder for hannebury :)

My mail says that the electricity bill is over-due.

Rope selection?

Autocorrect - top selection

That's good noose.  I was knot sure what you were talking about there for a bit.

For me Tagliabue or someone similar makes massive sense for main list. A genuine ruck. Keep Thurlow as a ruck/forward rookie. Also add some other tall depth, consider a 21yo out of the state leagues (in the same way Adelaide got Hartigan?)

Hopefully we’d still then have room to add a gun mid at 19, and Tippa and Long.

When you look at Richmond with Miles though - one extra player meant a large change to their midfield and mid/forward structure. Just ONE player.....

Who could fill that role/s internally from our list or externally that we could get and who would need to make way...? (Bobcat, Hocking, Stants for example)..

Midfield spread and defensive mindset/thinking needs to happen to cater for the changing strategies we are seeing now. We cant sit still with the current midfield rotations we have....

I reckon it's a lot more about who/what we add and a hell of a lot less about who moves.

Tigs still had spuds like Grigg, Jackson & Foley play lots of games, they were just all 1 lower down the pecking order.