23 days until the trade period...Upgrade of our MIDFIELD!

We only need two new players imo

Hard bodied midfielder who gets the ball....and a goal sneak small forward...

The rest we have covered through trying to do the best with the talent we have. 

More ruck depth.

More tall depth (either end will do, since Hurls/Carlisle are flexible enough to move around to ensure the side is balanced and will perform well at either end)

I'd be very surprised if we didn't take at least two/three talls in this draft/trade period.  Especially if Gregory gets delisted, double-especially if Ryder goes (though I don't think that is likely).  Having Ben Fricking Brown knock us out of a very winnable elimination final cos we had nobody over 190cm to go to him once Fletch/Jake were ruled our isn't something the club will forget for a while I think/hope..

I'm all for adding talls, especially ruck depth. I just hope after we've fixed the tall balance we then fill every remaining main list and rookie spot with fast blokes who like kicking goals. Don't care if they're skinny, fat, ill-disciplined, off field issues, whatever. If they're quick and kick goals on the regular, invite them to train with us, then lock them in a room one on one with Baguley and a football. Any of them that come out with the ball get a spot on the rookie list.

If Ryder goes
Ryder~ Mayes or Rich + 2nd rd pick but they will most likely offer Redden + pick
That's as good as we are going to get, talk of zorko Rockliff or Hanley is ridiculous.
Throw Ayce Cordy a lifeline if we could get him cheap.

What is it with you and western bulldog spuds?
They're come cheap.
Cordy would only be cheap back up, sit him in the vfl and press the button if needed.

The only 'button' Ayce Cordy has is labelled 'self-destruct'.

Just getting back to the original question from nickyd, I suppose it's about giving a player that was an early draft pick an opportunity to reach their potential in a new environment....maybe even a stronger club some would say.
Just for the record I hope to God Ryder stays, these draft scenarios are just the way I'm dealing with the fact that he may leave.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't take at least two/three talls in this draft/trade period.  Especially if Gregory gets delisted, double-especially if Ryder goes (though I don't think that is likely).  Having Ben Fricking Brown knock us out of a very winnable elimination final cos we had nobody over 190cm to go to him once Fletch/Jake were ruled our isn't something the club will forget for a while I think/hope..

Tis a hard situation really and a catch 22, in all reality if we had young developing backman they'd prolly have struggled against Brown Also (esp with the lack of pressure up the ground on the ball carrier/kicker)

yet you can't have ready made KPP just sitting in the VFL for most of the year as backup just incase what happened to us did, not to many players are willing to do that.

Maybe the club should look to using the rookie system to address that area and draft mature backman on the understanding that they are their cos they are solid enough to fill a hole for a short while if needed, but not atm good enough to be playing consistently.

But again it's a hard situation to get right, esp when the structures up field break down.

Need more ruck depth, more speedy midfielder depth and a smart quick elusive forward.

Need more ruck depth, more speedy midfielder depth and a smart quick elusive forward.

Paddy?

Based on ability, trading for Leunberger would be a very good solution. But he's injury prone, and I could see us getting absolutely bent over by that trade, based on the uncertainty of his knee. Obviously as stated, we need someone with pace - last year Matt White was surplus to Tigers needs and has been amazing for Port this year, there could be a similar option this coming trade period, that would be advisable to have an in-depth look at.

White wasn’t surplus to the Tigers needs. They wanted him to stay, but he left as an unrestricted FA.

Must get jeff garlett in the team exact type of player we need. Also would be pretty keen for clarke (as ryder is going) and maybe another outsider to replace dempsey when he leaves for gold coast

Must get jeff garlett in the team exact type of player we need. Also would be pretty keen for clarke (as ryder is going) and maybe another outsider to replace dempsey when he leaves for gold coast

How 'bout a warm glass of shut the hell up.

Speed.

Tall. Good draft for tells this year.

Speed

Speed

Rookie

Ruck

Speed

Speed

Trav and Dalgliesh aside we only have guys who are quick by our lists standards. Guys like the merretts, hams, fantasia are quick be because our list is sloooowwww

Trav and Dalgliesh aside we only have guys who are quick by our lists standards. Guys like the merretts, hams, fantasia are quick be because our list is sloooowwww

what about Dempsey?

Based on ability, trading for Leunberger would be a very good solution. But he's injury prone, and I could see us getting absolutely bent over by that trade, based on the uncertainty of his knee. Obviously as stated, we need someone with pace - last year Matt White was surplus to Tigers needs and has been amazing for Port this year, there could be a similar option this coming trade period, that would be advisable to have an in-depth look at.

If the Bears are going after Paddy so hard I would be guessing that Leunberger is probably farked. Either that or they are thinking Paddy forward more often than not and then there is no chance they will want to let Leunberger go. Either way I would stay away from that trade.

Having a bad day?

More ruck depth.
More tall depth (either end will do, since Hurls/Carlisle are flexible enough to move around to ensure the side is balanced and will perform well at either end)
I'd be very surprised if we didn't take at least two/three talls in this draft/trade period. Especially if Gregory gets delisted, double-especially if Ryder goes (though I don't think that is likely). Having Ben Fricking Brown knock us out of a very winnable elimination final cos we had nobody over 190cm to go to him once Fletch/Jake were ruled our isn't something the club will forget for a while I think/hope..

I'm all for adding talls, especially ruck depth. I just hope after we've fixed the tall balance we then fill every remaining main list and rookie spot with fast blokes who like kicking goals. Don't care if they're skinny, fat, ill-disciplined, off field issues, whatever. If they're quick and kick goals on the regular, invite them to train with us, then lock them in a room one on one with Baguley and a football. Any of them that come out with the ball get a spot on the rookie list.

Lol.
Those blokes go into a room with Baguley and the only thing they're coming out with is a toe-tag.
Fark I wish we had more like him.

More ruck depth.
I'd be very surprised if we didn't take at least two/three talls in this draft/trade period. Especially if Gregory gets delisted, double-especially if Ryder goes (though I don't think that is likely). Having Ben Fricking Brown knock us out of a very winnable elimination final cos we had nobody over 190cm to go to him once Fletch/Jake were ruled our isn't something the club will forget for a while I think/hope..

Lol.
Those blokes go into a room with Baguley and the only thing they're coming out with is a toe-tag.
Fark I wish we had more like him.

He’s right through. If anyone comes out with the ball we’d have to pick them up.
I think we’d have to use a much earlier pick though, because I can’t imagine they’d be waiting til the rookie draft.

Came across a damning stat last night - Travis Colyer, from only 12 games is our only player in the top 50 for bounces (21 in total). Chappy is equal 100th for the same stat with 12, that's it. Just highlights the lack of ball carriers who can break lines in our side. We move the ball up the field with numbers rather than have those class players who can regularly open the play & this IMHO is why we struggle so much to get consistent effort. We need all our mids up & about to play that way & when guys get tired there simply is no fluent ball movement. Speed is a bonus but its running capacity overall & the ability to break /avoid tackles that is most important. We have too many mids who are easily run off, don't run long enough & lack lateral movement.

Dempsey would have been in there if all his attempts at running bounces had actually bounced back up to him.

Tall, lanky vanilla project player. Good draft for tells this year.
Speed Plodder
TIPPA or Garlett  Plodder
Rookie
Ruck Frankston HBF
Speed Long distance runner or basketball player

Fixed.

If Ryder goes
Ryder~ Mayes or Rich + 2nd rd pick but they will most likely offer Redden + pick
That's as good as we are going to get, talk of zorko Rockliff or Hanley is ridiculous.
Throw Ayce Cordy a lifeline if we could get him cheap.

Just stop posting and delete all your previous posts and throw away your computer and we'll forget this ever happened.
Try using the block function captain Grumpy, I'm sure we won't miss each other...
Alternatively, put up your argument so we can hash it out.......just don't have a melt down if I put a comma in the wrong spot okay,,,,
My argument is everything between 'If' and the last full stop in your post.
Out: Ryder
In: Mayes ????, Ayce Cordy, 2nd rounder.
Think about what you've done.

I guess the big question regarding talls is do we pick ONE high, or go for a few rookies and see what sticks.

Rucks are tough to find at the rope end, there seem to be just as many come good from the rookie/late pick as do rope selections.

I think we should consider a 193-195cm fast dynamic forward with our high pick selection. A player that has good running endurance and is fast with a few tricks. Not too worried about size in weight happy for him to be a bit light on.

Look for some outside run late in the draft, the faster the better.

Load up with big bodied KPP and rucks from state leagues in the rookie draft.

Our talls are probably the best in the league down the spine, even without Ryder. But what we lack is a walk in replacement. State league players offer us this insurance without the cost. Maybe we should look for a journeyman type as a backup from free agency too.