#23 Harrison Jones - now 23 til 2024!

Club website has him listed now at 88kg. Don’t know how accurate that is.

He definitely appears to have bulked up though.

3 Likes

Which training drill is your favourite to do?

Set shots because I don’t miss.

12 Likes

AFL

YOUNG BOMBER STRIVING FOR FURTHER IMPROVEMENT, HOPING TO PLAY ALONGSIDE VETERAN

BY ALEX ZAIA 20 HOURS AGO

Essendon talent Harrison Jones is striving for further improvement to become a more powerful key forward.

The 22-year-old kicked 20 goals in 16 games last season and showed glimpses of his potential after missing all of 2020 due to a foot injury.

Another foot injury prematurely ended Jones’ 2021 campaign, but the young Bomber is nearing a return to full training ahead of the 2022 season.

Jones is looking to add size to his athletic frame to take his game to another level.

“I’m still trying to load that (foot) up and get that right, but I’m making some really good inroads which is nice,” Jones told SEN Afternoons .

“I’m back to pretty much full training which is really good.

“This year, like I said before, just continue to improve. I don’t want to set any goals or put pressure on myself, but I’m just going to continue to try and improve.

“I put on a lot (of weight) in my first year when I wasn’t really playing from my other foot injury and I’m slowly just building that up.

“I’m up around 88-90kg at the moment, which is good, but I’m still continuing to get stronger and bigger, which I think is a big thing for a lot of the young boys at the club.

“That’s a big area for my body and development to become that bigger key forward.”

Jones is hoping to run out alongside Michael Hurley this year, as the veteran defender continues to recover from a serious infection following hip surgery.

“He (Hurley) is looking really good,” Jones said.

“From where he was before Christmas to now, he’s looking good.

“I don’t want to say he’s back or he’s ready to go, but I’m pretty keen to see him out there.”

Bombers captain Dyson Heppell said Hurley is “progressing well” but is unlikely to be available for Round 1.

7 Likes

You’re doing it wrong. We should have taken Luke Jackson!

1 Like

I think out of all our youngsters I am most keen to see how Jones progresses this season. Oodles of talent, great size and superb work ethic. He’s everything you could want in a footballer.

11 Likes

I also just think he’s the best of the lot.

1 Like

I thought Reid was the best of the lot?

The trade Jackets did to move up the draft order to grab Jones may end up as his greatest ever move and legacy.

3 Likes

To me he just looks/plays like one of those top old school players from the 80s. Would not have looked out of place in the 84/85 side.

4 Likes

No, Reid is the best of the 2020 batch.

23 Likes

that is superb

2 Likes

What do I like about him most?

Natural mark
Happy to put his body on the line
Kicks pretty straight
Has a forward mentality
Moves and leads well
Excellent team man (seems to get on with everyone)
Reminds me of a bit of the great James Hird

What do I not like about him?
Nuthin … zilch

The very best of luck for 2022 Harry Jones.

7 Likes

His movement and recovery at ground level is particularly Hird-like. Which is impressive given he’s probably 10cm taller than James.

3 Likes

mark at the highest point.

2 Likes

editing meeting for this article

‘Should we verify his age?
Nah he’s gotta be around 22ish, just roll with that’

Harry is 20 FWIW.

12 Likes

Arguably the most important player on the list right now.

4 Likes

Yep. I think it’s largely that he tries not to get engaged with the body in aerial contests - just focussed on finding his own run at the ball, and goes full-blooded at it.

Will be interesting when defenders start putting some work into him; scragging, blocking and holding. He’s possibly going to have an adjustment or two to make.

2 Likes

I was looking at some highlights. I think Jones is gonna miss Hooker a lot. Hooker was blocking the opposition from jumping and spoiling in a few of his marks.

3 Likes