#24 Craig Bird - Delisted

Coaches don’t play the same reactionary impulsive game that outsiders sometimes do. Particularly because they are responsible for it all. So their decisions may not reflect the up and down swings outside the club.

That said - it’s going to be a tough call. To my mind, there only seems to be 2 ways Jobe comes back in to replace Bird next week - either it is seen as ‘more valuable in the longer run’, or, because it’s Jobe.

Had a very solid performance tonight.

Adds a bit of extra hardness and agility around the contest and just does the small things well.

Great depth player to have which is a luxury.

2 Likes

presence, disposal and poise looked sharp for a guy who hadn’t played afl at senior level for almost a year

i hope they keep him on at the end of the year, even when he rightfully demands a trade

Played really well, needs to stay in the side. Does a lot of grunt work

2 Likes

How is it reactionary when the team has a clear weakness and a player is offering a clear solution? for a month?

2 Likes

Late night pedantry: picking a player to improve a slump in contested ball would be reactive, not reactionary. Reactionary would be picking a player who wants to roll back universal suffrage.

4 Likes

nerd

1 Like

Our midfield WON the day, for the first time in years. Bird has to stay in. If they need to bring Jobe back next week, someone else should make way for him.

Jobe can replace green and rest forward. No way you can drop Bird after his game tonight

This resting fwd notion is non existent in today’s footy

If Green goes out, someone needs to come in to be able to bring the fwd pressure he does. That’s not Jobes game.

1 Like

Laverde would be my guess.

I’d give Jobe another week if the spot isn’t a midfielders. I’m sure a spot will open up down the track and there isn’t much downside to giving him a fortnight off.

He had a very solid game & he is a lot better than I thought, based on last night’s game. I thought he was in the best 30-35, but he is really just on the fringes of 23 -25.

He’s tough (I think it was him that got poleaxed by Riewoldt & he was back in the thick of it straight away), his tackles stick (how is that hand of your’s Sam Gilbert?) & he has clean skills.

I hate doing what ifs, but can’t help wonder if he had been brought in for the Swans game instead of Howlett or Langford, would he have been able to curb Kennedy’s influence enough to get us that extra couple of points to get the win? He would have been fired up to play his old team you would have thought.

4 Likes

Played well but he does come out for Watson. Can’t play Watson, Bird, Heppel and Myers.

3 Likes

Because it may be a matter of different time-scales to those we’re used to as supporters. This (would be) insight in how teams are managed over the course of 1-2 seasons. I don’t mean that everything reactive is wrong - there’s a place for that. But there is a possibility (I don’t know) that Whether Watson comes back in or not does not have a lot to do with Bird’s good game last night.

Don’t know if it was by design, but most of his quick kicks over the shoulder from centre clearances went to space. best type of blind kick.

1 Like

MEDIUM
BOI
BIRDY

Or, you know, 6 days.

4 Likes

When you have the faster guys on the ground, it’s not such a bad option.

Last couple months these kicks were going straight to the extra man in defence.

it was refreshing.