#24 Craig Bird - Delisted

Seems like this part of the deal was more Sydney's idea than ours, but you could get worse players dumped on you than Bird. Hope he has a great little career for us.

Considering we have been asking about him for the past few weeks I would say it was more our idea than Sydneys. Supposedly Woosha is very much into him as a player.

Only player we have that has won a premiership isn’t it?

Seems like this part of the deal was more Sydney's idea than ours, but you could get worse players dumped on you than Bird. Hope he has a great little career for us.

Considering we have been asking about him for the past few weeks I would say it was more our idea than Sydneys. Supposedly Woosha is very much into him as a player.

Well, I hope that’s not the case, but I guess I’ll never know for sure.
Have a gut feeling in 12 months time we're going to be very, very happy we picked him up. Welcome to the Bombers, Birdy.

My gut feeling is the complete opposite.

I guess we’ll know in 12 months (or probably much earlier). The fact Worsfold was so keen to get him in the door gives me hope.

Can play small fwd, defensive fwd, ball magnet mid or tagger. Is obviously very flexible.

A good addition and definitely an upgrade on Melks!

If Bird can teach some of our boys to do more of this he will be well worth his place.

More?

Wow, reading his bio… tied with Kieran Jack in his first year as Swans Rising Star. Was considered a rising midfielder star in 2008 and 09 before injury curtailed 2010. Came back to be a very solid contributor for 2011,12,13 and 14 where he played in all bar 5 games. Injury and form then saw him dropped from the team early 2015 and he never got back in.

Really appears this was purely a salary cap issue because of the size of the contract he signed in 2014 on the back of 4 solid seasons. Could turn into a very handy pick up and be yet another nail in the ‘Sydney won by trading for buddy’ coffin.

Primarily plays a small defensive forward… which we lacked this year.

Why would you hope that’s not the case??

You will know for sure if you listen to Godoro on trade radio … he said they’d been talking about him for 2 weeks, & it heated up over the last 3 days, Woosha had identified a hole in the list, thought Bird could fill it, & wanted him. Not sure how that’s not sure?

Proven decent player. Not brilliant by any means but he is a depth/fringe player that can fill quiet a few roles through the midfield and fwd. In saying this I don’t think he will play many games in the 2’s. As when does anyside have its best 22 fit for game day? I prefer him to Melk as you know what you are going to get from Bird. Melk did play a few blinders, but he was very inconsistent and poor decisions under pressure.

So our midfield now consists of Hocking, Myers, Watson, Stants, Zacka, Heppel, Zerret, colyer, Bird, Howlett, (Cooney), and O’Brien. Then we have the up and coming younger guys, plus this years draftees.

Looking pretty good on paper.

Great get.

What did you do if a Bird ■■■■■ in the EFCTVSHPC?

It’s a big welcome to him from me. There’s a lot of upside and little or no downside. He got 19 disposals in Sydney’s 2012 Grand Final win, he’s built like a brick outhouse, and he puts his body in. He’s been injured for most of 2014 with calf problems, and the worst case scenario is that we don’t get a game out of him, in which case we’ve got pick 5 for Carlisle and Pick 44, which is a good deal as far as I’m concerned.

He’s about to turn 27 and he’s a good footballer when fit. I’m hopeful that he’ll produce the goods for us.

Im hoping hes more of a Hocking type than Melks. Melks tank was questionable.

Must admit I’m a bit conflicted only cos my Swans supporting mates all believe that letting Bird go to ease salary cap pressure was a bad move for them
Yes I should be happy but I never value the opinions of my Swans supporting mates

IMO great get for us

Why on earth would you hope that’s not the case??

You will know for sure if you listen to Godoro on trade radio … he said they’d been talking about him for 2 weeks, & it heated up over the last 3 days, Woosha had identified a hole in the list, thought Bird could fill it, & wanted him. Not sure how that’s not sure?

Second part first, that’s fair, I should take it on face value.

I would prefer that they raised it and we looked at it as a nice little bonus. If it was our idea I am worried about what that says about the club’s view on the list. My opnion is we had a shot over the last few years and for various reasons it didn’t work out, that sucks, and it’s time to start on the next team. Bringing in a solid player who’ll be 27 when the season starts suggests to me people at the club think that we’re a serious chance in the next 2-3 years. I’d prefer we assumed 15th was a reasonably accurate reflection of our squad and managed the list accordingly. Maybe it’s not and next year we shoot up the ladder and that’s great, but if it is then trading in someone like Bird is just compounding the failed (albeit understandable) gambles we’ve taken on older players in the last couple of years.

That’s why I hope that we weren’t so intent on getting Craig Bird that we would have said no to the deal if he hadn’t agreed to play for us.

I absolutely understand some people are more optimistic about our prospects in the next couple of years, and if they’re right then Bird is an astute pick up that strengthens the list nicely for a team going deep into finals.

I usually have strong opinions one way or the other when we trade players in, but I’m fairly meh about this one.

We didn’t overpay, which is good, and he helped us get pick 5, which is also good.

Interesting to see where Woosha plans to use him.

Would he be the first player you’d consider (unless looeny holds up) to be the first uncompromised player to pick us ? ala not doing it for exorbitant money (gooddard) or players at the end of their shelf life and or injury prone (chappy, cooney), or just downright little to no interest for them (giles, gwilt).

Would he be the first player you'd consider (unless looeny holds up) to be the first uncompromised player to pick us ? ala not doing it for exorbitant money (gooddard) or players at the end of their shelf life and or injury prone (chappy, cooney), or just downright little to no interest for them (giles, gwilt).
What about Edwards?

Welcome Birdy!
A good get I reckon.