#24 Craig Bird - Delisted

Would he be the first player you'd consider (unless looeny holds up) to be the first uncompromised player to pick us ? ala not doing it for exorbitant money (gooddard) or players at the end of their shelf life and or injury prone (chappy, cooney), or just downright little to no interest for them (giles, gwilt).
What about Edwards?
fine screw up my damn attempt to welcome him :p. but yes under my premise you're right Edwards would have been the first, I guess second for bird. Still gotta give em credit when they have options and they still choose to come to us.
Im hoping hes more of a Hocking type than Melks. Melks tank was questionable.

Heā€™s a more consistent Howlett.
Iā€™m a little surprised that a player can be in the game for so long and not be known.

Seems like this part of the deal was more Sydney's idea than ours, but you could get worse players dumped on you than Bird. Hope he has a great little career for us.

Considering we have been asking about him for the past few weeks I would say it was more our idea than Sydneys. Supposedly Woosha is very much into him as a player.

Well, I hope thatā€™s not the case, but I guess Iā€™ll never know for sure.

Why on earth would you hope thatā€™s not the case??

You will know for sure if you listen to Godoro on trade radio ā€¦ he said theyā€™d been talking about him for 2 weeks, & it heated up over the last 3 days, Woosha had identified a hole in the list, thought Bird could fill it, & wanted him. Not sure how thatā€™s not sure?

Second part first, thatā€™s fair, I should take it on face value.

I would prefer that they raised it and we looked at it as a nice little bonus. If it was our idea I am worried about what that says about the clubā€™s view on the list. My opnion is we had a shot over the last few years and for various reasons it didnā€™t work out, that sucks, and itā€™s time to start on the next team. Bringing in a solid player whoā€™ll be 27 when the season starts suggests to me people at the club think that weā€™re a serious chance in the next 2-3 years. Iā€™d prefer we assumed 15th was a reasonably accurate reflection of our squad and managed the list accordingly. Maybe itā€™s not and next year we shoot up the ladder and thatā€™s great, but if it is then trading in someone like Bird is just compounding the failed (albeit understandable) gambles weā€™ve taken on older players in the last couple of years.

Thatā€™s why I hope that we werenā€™t so intent on getting Craig Bird that we would have said no to the deal if he hadnā€™t agreed to play for us.

I absolutely understand some people are more optimistic about our prospects in the next couple of years, and if theyā€™re right then Bird is an astute pick up that strengthens the list nicely for a team going deep into finals.

One word mate WADA, that is the reason we finished 15thā€¦ IF we are all clear in November we get a clear veiw next year on where the list is at. Judging the list this year, was the same as judging Hirds coaching ability, a waste of time.

Hoping we upgrade Laverde to #3/#8 and give Bird #33.

Welcome Larry!

Was in my dreamteam in 2013, served me well.

Don't fill this thread with Bird crap puns.

Where is the windscreen wiper button

1 Like
I know nothing about this guy except that he is a tagger and was an academy player. Can someone please summarise Bird please?

Top 10 B&F finish in their premiership which surprised me

Otherwise just another name on the list of nuggety small forwards Sydney always seem to draft (Buchanan, Schneider, McGlynn, Jarred Moore, Luke Ablett)

Two pages in and already buried in guano

Seems like this part of the deal was more Sydney's idea than ours, but you could get worse players dumped on you than Bird. Hope he has a great little career for us.

Considering we have been asking about him for the past few weeks I would say it was more our idea than Sydneys. Supposedly Woosha is very much into him as a player.

Well, I hope thatā€™s not the case, but I guess Iā€™ll never know for sure.

Why on earth would you hope thatā€™s not the case??

You will know for sure if you listen to Godoro on trade radio ā€¦ he said theyā€™d been talking about him for 2 weeks, & it heated up over the last 3 days, Woosha had identified a hole in the list, thought Bird could fill it, & wanted him. Not sure how thatā€™s not sure?

Second part first, thatā€™s fair, I should take it on face value.

I would prefer that they raised it and we looked at it as a nice little bonus. If it was our idea I am worried about what that says about the clubā€™s view on the list. My opnion is we had a shot over the last few years and for various reasons it didnā€™t work out, that sucks, and itā€™s time to start on the next team. Bringing in a solid player whoā€™ll be 27 when the season starts suggests to me people at the club think that weā€™re a serious chance in the next 2-3 years. Iā€™d prefer we assumed 15th was a reasonably accurate reflection of our squad and managed the list accordingly. Maybe itā€™s not and next year we shoot up the ladder and thatā€™s great, but if it is then trading in someone like Bird is just compounding the failed (albeit understandable) gambles weā€™ve taken on older players in the last couple of years.

Thatā€™s why I hope that we werenā€™t so intent on getting Craig Bird that we would have said no to the deal if he hadnā€™t agreed to play for us.

I absolutely understand some people are more optimistic about our prospects in the next couple of years, and if theyā€™re right then Bird is an astute pick up that strengthens the list nicely for a team going deep into finals.

One word mate WADA, that is the reason we finished 15thā€¦ IF we are all clear in November we get a clear veiw next year on where the list is at. Judging the list this year, was the same as judging Hirds coaching ability, a waste of time.

I know, thatā€™s what ā€œvarious reasonsā€ meant. I just think itā€™s safer to assume the worst and plan for it than assume the best and delay rejuvenation. Happy to let you disagree, Iā€™m normally wrong anway.

BTW - does anyone know much about his injuries last year? He was tracking reasonably well up to 2014 then went backwards last year.
He had a few minor injuries, but basically he just swapped spots with Tom Mitchell as their excess midfielder, he did a calf about the same time Parker went down which ruled him out of a return.

Excluding the game he did a shoulder in the opening minute, he averaged 28p from 7 NEAFL games.

I hope Woosh uses him as a tagger/midfielder only. I know he can play as a defensive forward and at times has for the Swans but it is a role that I generally loath (apart from the occasion game where it can be used tactically). Can we please focus on recruiting natural, creative forwards and developing their defensive game like other teams do (and developing our overall forward half team defense in the process)?

Having said that I hope he does well with us.

I usually have strong opinions one way or the other when we trade players in, but I'm fairly meh about this one.

We didnā€™t overpay, which is good, and he helped us get pick 5, which is also good.

Interesting to see where Woosha plans to use him.

Yep - pretty much my thoughts. I can easily see a situation where he canā€™t get a game and I can also see him regaining his 2014 form & forcing a spot. Either way its no massive spend so we canā€™t lose in anything but cap space.

Whoosh wanted him.

What whoosh wants, whoosh gets.

Which is exactly the way it should freaking be.

This guy is going to be our next premiership coach, give him whatever the hell he wants.

Flip the Birdā€¦ (apologies if already used)

If Woosh wanted him thatā€™s good enough for me.

Must admit I'm a bit conflicted only cos my Swans supporting mates all believe that letting Bird go to ease salary cap pressure was a bad move for them Yes I should be happy but I never value the opinions of my Swans supporting mates

IMO great get for us

seeing hes a sydney supporter he probably thought it was craig wing.
yes yes, i know, a very poultry gag indeed.

See the Bombers fly up, up (like a bird)

I reckon he walks straight into the best 22 fo sho

Iā€™m like a bird, I only fly away
I donā€™t know where my home is, I donā€™t know where my soul is.

I'm like a bird, I only fly away I don't know where my home is, I don't know where my soul is.

Nelly Furtado. Sheā€™s a good bird.