#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

He obviously reads Blitz, summarised the last few weeks of this thread.

2 Likes

First half was kinda interesting… for me anyway. Didn’t know that only 15% of players in the 90s were on contracts… thought it would have been a lot more

1 Like

I’d offer him 3 @ 500k with a trigger for a fourth and incentives to make it 750k per annum if he meets the incentives. We could also use the cap this year to give him a signing bonus.

1 Like

Jake: “I want security”

Blitz: “Don’t commit, add triggers to take away the security he wants”

So, does this mean someone like Cahill is probably only on 200k but gets around a 15k bonus per match he plays? Seems like the selectors have a fair bit of weight on their shoulders if they are basically deciding big bonuses for kids as well as picking the best team and weighing up development etc.

There must also be pressure to play the “contracted players” like Zaka, Sheil, Smith instead of incurring extra fees and playing players that get game bonuses. And to think buddy Franklin or Joe for us wasn’t expensive enough, sitting on the sidelines, but then you have to pay someone else to play in his place.

The day a selection committee goes down that particular rabbit hole, that way, is the day to replace them. There should be very few criteria, the main one being, pick the team that gives you the best chance of winning.

2 Likes

It would happen at some clubs. I can’t remember who it was, but a player at another club within the last decade believed they were frozen out of being selected in the senior team because if they played another game it would’ve triggered a clause in their contract to add another season onto the deal. That happens a lot at soccer club around the world, especially where additional fees are to be sent to the previous club upon a certain amount of first team appearances. I believe that’s one of the reasons why Barcelona are so keen to get rid of Phil Coutinho, because if he plays a certain amount of first team games they owe Liverpool further money…

4 Likes

I seem to recall that this was happening to Dale Thomas at Carlton. There was a ‘games played’ trigger that would have resulted in guaranteeing him a further season on coin that was way above what they were prepared to pay him based on his output but he was also going just well enough to be getting a game with that rabble.

They were basically refusing to play him for a month or two but eventually Thomas and the club decided to ditch the trigger clause and they then started selecting him.

5 Likes

Does anyone know how trigger clauses factor into the cap? Eg does the TPP have to be under the cap including incentives and trigger clauses?

Jake with his manager in the background after the Hawks game.

Dodoro

Jake

0AB6E7AA-D2A0-4E8B-95CA-EBC7E26F8F4C
Jake
Jake
Dodoro
Dodoro3

4 Likes

Me too! Players like him are rare. Love him.

Maybe the trigger clauses should be completely confidential.

Given it’s from Carey, tbh the first line I was expecting was “Treat 'im mean.”

1 Like

Give Stringer $750k per year for 4 years contract where he is fined $50k everytime he eats KFC and $20k for every kebab.

1 Like

If Stringer arrived at Essendon on $500,000 a year, on form he’s become every bit the $700,000 player. Especially when you compare that to what others, like Mitch McGovern or Zac Williams got at Carlton.

If we’re comparing Stringer to Zac Williams at Carlton who got $700K, Stringer would be getting $5 million.

7 Likes

Dodoro when Stringer tried to call him after the Richmond game

10 Likes

Believe it or not, Jake is not here…

9 Likes

Offer him 5 consecutive 6 month deals for the next 5 years with a performance incentive for the final 6 months of each year if it looks like we’re playing finals.

And a KFC three child family value bucket deal for every day ending at 11.59pm.

I think they did something similar for Shaq.

Within about 5 rounds everyone seemed to have decided that a hard bottom out and rebuild was out of the question and winning games was more important for culture etc.

On that basis, you retain stringer every day of the week.

Give him the 650k or whatever and make 100k each year contingent on maintaining agreed fitness and conditioning levels.

Insta flags and brownlows are sure to follow.

Has he signed yet? Fark