#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

Rather keep stringer than a first round compo we don’t have many match winners apart from Walla

“Rival clubs have not had any conversations with Stringer’s management, indicating both parties are committed to forging a mutually beneficial arrangement, even if it takes the entire season to do so”

So hes not going anywhere really.

Next.

I think we will ultimately settle on a 4 year deal, but I just hope its not on monstrous coin.

7 Likes

I think he’s earned it imo

Stringer is a Alpha type player. Not many of them around ( especially in our team ). Brings other players up and motivates the team. If he kicks a goal you know about it. Not many players like Stringer around. We need to keep him. Worth overs for his X factor.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t win the hawks game if it weren’t for Jake

Hes played an exceptional month of footy.

Not sure thats enough to earn 4 years on big coin IMO.

On average he has been no better over his 3 years with us than he was with the bulldogs, save for the fact that his personal life isnt completely fked anymore.

5 Likes

Seems to me that he just wants 4 years even if it’s not the money he’s after

I didn’t say i’d take a first rounder over Stringer, just that it be the worst case scenario along with freeing up a chunk of cap space. I rather he stays but at a sensible price.

2 Likes

I think both parties will eventually settle on a 4 year deal with the caveat that it’s team friendly money wise. Jake gets his years, club gets a salary discount.

1 Like

If what Tom Morris reported is true then Essendon should stick fat. It doesn’t make commercial sense to commit long-term to a player who hasn’t shown consistency. Not with Cox, Reid, McGrath, Jones, Ridley, Parish, Draper, Perkins etc presumably improving over that period. If he’s confident that he can get 4 years out of his body then he should have no problem signing up to a contract that is incentive based. If anything, it smells like player agent self interest to me.

2 Likes

He’s just about our only match winner.

Pay him a reasonable amount @ 4 years.

Its a win win scenario.
He stays and we get a great player, he decides to leave and we get a first round pick which fits our list demographic.
We cant let players hold the club ransom over their contracts. All the great recent teams have been about players sacrificing for one another.

Anyway I dont think thats what Jake is doing and he will sign shortly.

6 Likes

I think if Jake left for more money, you could arguably get 2x first round picks for him. He is in very good form atm.

Personally I would trade him for that. By the time we are really contending he will be 30+.

We need more picks for our rebuild.

I cannot imagine any sane team offering 2 first rounders for Jake.
Crazy stuff.

12 Likes

At some point we need to stop losing best 22 players.

2 Likes

Is this the same Tom Morris that said during the bye period that Zach wasn’t close and that contract negotiation would go very deep into the season….?

8 Likes

These reporters are full of it and themselves. Don’t even like it when they make up stories about Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane or Port. Only joking but they are low life’s.

I cant imagine a team giving up one 1st rounder for him.

2 Likes

Yes agree
Jake is a great clubman- love the bloke

Even the club has said that negotiations with Jake are progressing very positively. They’re not going to say that if there is even a sniff that he is walking. Stringer has loved his time at Essendon and must surely know that he can become part of an exciting renaissance. The alternative is a graveyard shift on the Gold Coast.

1 Like