#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

Clearly I was referring to size and not suggesting they have EXACTLY the same body builds. I was referring in terms of muscle and adding size to his frame.

he is one massive unit. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, he is incredibly hard to bring down in a tackle.

He adds a different element to our midfield when he goes in there too.

LEAVE OBELIX ALONE! HE’S BIG-BONED.

5 Likes

7 tackles (equal most with Parish) + 9 contested possessions (equal 5th ahead of Goddard, Smith and Langers, all of who had good games).

And he did this from 71% TOG - the least of all players other than Zerrett.

With a bit more conditioning this guy’s is going to be a beast.

3 Likes

clutching at straws. he was very average. why not just wait until he has a good game to lather him in praise? it won’t be long

Could not get hi res of obelisk in black and red as he just changed clubs

I also forgot he had a man bun beard before the blond man bun.

2 Likes

Seriously? Given we want him to play as a big bodied mid, a least in bursts, he showed great signs. Does he need to get fitter? Sure. But that was a very solid first up effort.

3 Likes

oh Mr.youngbarry, you do go on!

Exzacery!!!

1 Like

That handball to set up the Fridge’s goal took some guts. I could only imagine how this thread would look if the Crows scored…

Does Myers not playing mean Stringer is spending more time in the midfield than coaches would want? Meaninig he is probably blowing up a bit sooner and can’t impact as much as either a forward or a burst mid.
If so, I hope there is a pay off later in the season as the extra time and experience accumulates.

1 Like

Simply not fit enough

1 Like

Would drop him until he gets fit.

4 Likes

He’s running a lot but seemingly going where the ball ain’t.

Is that fitness or just understandable lack of midfield nous?

Not providing much impact at all.

End the midfield experiment. Only Essendon could think they can turn a legitimate goal scoring forward into a midfielder. His tank is nowhere near it yet and will take a couple of per seasons to build

4 Likes

Virtually no impact last night. Not alone either. Ideally, I reckon you actually want him to be the second possession away from the stoppage.

He’s a AA forward

He’s not a midfielder

He’s not our “dusty”

Please, please just play him up forward. I thought people were very, very generous with his game last week but I’m pretty disappointed with every game I’ve seen so far. He’s currently half the player he was at the dogs 2 years ago. Although I’m not going to really pay attention to anyone’s form over here, I do expect more from him.

1 Like

He’s also currently very much the player he was towards the end of last year, except now he’s going to the effort of laying tackles.

I’m not super fussed where we play him, as long as we figure out how to turn his form around. The concern with him in the midfield is obvious, he’s doesn’t get much of the ball and blows up quickly, which is an individual concern. The concern with him in the forward line would be we’d have a stupendous lack of forward pressure, which is a structural concern. He’d have to replace one of the three talls we’re currently playing or the ball would bounce out even faster than it is now. It’s not going to be Daniher, it would be very harsh on Stewart who seems to be doing everything asked of him, and the only coaching decision Worsfold seems to be 100% committed to is that Hooker is a forward.

In summary, I would prefer him playing forward but I don’t think we’re going to restructure the forward line to do it.

1 Like

We need to be patient with this guy. He has changed his attitude and work ethic and is now playing in a new and difficult position. It’s already fact that he can be an elite mid-sized forward. The aim to make him an impact player at stoppages is supported by his very limited but explosive play around stoppages already this season. He only does it 2x per match and he needs to do it 5x, but the undoubted ability is there.

We always always always fail to understand how long it takes to prepare and develop a player and Stringer is coming off 2 years of turmoil and slack effort. The aim is a player who is explosive at the stoppages and kicks some goals. Begley and Laverde will complement his rotations beautifully. This has the potential to be a key part of a premiership weapon.

9 Likes