#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

I knew we weren’t getting ‘Stringer’s best footy’ when we got him, certainly not straight away, anyway. I also knew that his worst footy was garbage.

But I’m surprised how good his ‘average’ footy is.

He can impact a game by doing very little, and he is impacting with us already.

5 Likes

If he actually gets properly fit then the upside is enormous. I mean, he’s already playing well when the ball is in his direct area but he’s got the scope to be even better.

I just hope he’s not one of those players that just never does the work or adheres to the right diet and lifestyle practices to get in AFL standard shape.

Thought at the time, shame Brian Taylor wasn’t there to call that play. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

yep and yep - has fitted in well. Goes to the players. Players go to him. Looks genuine.
What he brings is what we need, and he is unique to our side with Hocking and Howlett retired.

2 Likes

The burst out of the first centre break a couple of seconds into the game to set up the first goal to Baguley was not too shabby either. Set the tone for the rest of the night. Beast mode engaged.

4 Likes

They combined well to set up the Smack goal in the last, too.

Superb hands by Stringer.

If JoeDan, Stringer and Raz ever hit peak form at the same time… Boy oh Boy indeed.

4 Likes

Protects the kids too, players the Myers role well.

He’s going really well.

RAGING BULL.

It looks like they have the mid / forward balance better.

If we can get the ball in there quick enough, he will be well worth it as a forward. More effective deeper than I thought and this should assist when integrating Joe back as he can play more up the field which suits.

His midfield work looks better too…more quick hands to the receiver, less trying to burst out of every single pack.

There’s a lot to work with, he’s just a bit high maintenance.

He should of unleashed the antlered lion when he kicked the last from 60.

3 Likes

I see good signs.

What I don’t see is an all Australian.

I hope he gets back to that level at some stage of his career with us.

BT going bezerk with THE PACKAGE.

Watching the goal highlights package I was taken aback by just how many of the goals featured contributions from Stringer. There were many where he was a key link in the chain, often as the first possession. The couple of late goals were the reward for doing a lot of earlier hard work.

18 Likes

13 of his 16 possessions on the weekend were contested. 1 less contested possession than Hep who had the most for the Dons.

15 Likes

Correct. 9 score involvements

11 Likes

sorta reminds me of stew crameri when he was at his best with us, using his strength and speed to bust through a couple of opposition players and setting up, or kicking a goal. Nowhere near the endurance, but the same sort style in certain scenarios.

4 Likes

Someone posted this on another forum (apologies if it’s already been seen here).

Elderly Essendon supporter called up a Geelong reporter after he wrote a negative article on Stringer (and we then beat Geelong).

Hilarious

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/elderly-bombers-fan-gives-addy-sports-journo-ryan-reynolds-polite-serve-over-jake-stringer-article/news-story/126bc2e494bef3dc2d873e265c9065fa

2 Likes

That’s a hoot.

Anyone who does a comic book film deserves a roasting.

8 Likes

Bulldogs didn’t get the mad rooter to 100.

Oh boy oh boy wowee!