#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

I have to admit, with Hooker bad and Hurls bad even I considered that maybe they should have swapped to see what would happen. Couldn’t have been worse than what was happening.

1 Like

Hooker is a idiot but he’s still had a reasonable season. He stays forward now

3 Likes

Hooker did OK today, except for his goal-kicking - There is a reason why JD got so many one-on-one opportunities.

2 Likes

Should we persist with him forward next year knowing full well in a big game he could win it off his own boot for us or possibly kill our chances with abysmal goal kicking?

2 Likes

He is part of the reason JD is leading the Coleman

On the flipside imagine our backline with him, Hurley and Ambrose

2 Likes

Like Joe, the fact he kicks poorly means he also makes poor decisions around goal hoping for an easier option. However, those suggesting Hooker forward hasn’t been successful are kidding themselves. He is on track track to kick 35 or so goals which would have won our goal kicking most years since 2008 and has definitely given Joe extra space.

4 Likes

Its a tough one and we are not out of the finials race yet so he stays there for now. But could Franga play his role? Franga to me seems to similar to Hurls to play back with him. Where as Hooker really compliments Hurley and is an upgrade on Harts. I thought Harts played pretty well today some of his kicks where very good.

Hooker is really struggling with his kicking but if he gets that right he will be a great fwd. No simple answer.

1 Like

Had a few brain fades today!

Until someone can perform at his level then he stays forward.
Not one of Langford, Laverde, Francis or Smack have shown they can do the job.
Stewart rarely takes a contested mark so he’s not an option yet.

2 Likes

It’s never going to happen, but I’d still like to see Hartley tried up forward one day. He probably wouldn’t be as good as Hooker, but he’s not as good as Hooker down back either.

Positives:
is a huge kick
forwards get called for holding less than defenders
wouldn’t be a $750k/year player playing as a $500k/year role player
is a lot younger (less need to start planning for replacements)

Negatives:
maybe can’t take contested mark? (spoils 24/7)
would take a while to establish that defenders need to respect him
might be total ■■■■ in the position

Edit: one of the big things Hooker has brought is general football experience. With each passing game that Joe and the smalls play, that is a less necessary trait.

2 Likes

That first negative point is exactly why he cant and never will play as a fwd. Its the hardest part about playing there, contested marking players are worth gold. He has shown nothing to suggest he could be any sort of threat fwd.

1 Like

He is so frustrating!
Drops easy marks, cannot run, cannot win a one on one when the ball is not to his advantage, he cannot kick a clutch goal for all the tea in China, doesn’t impose himself on the game, doesn’t put the fear of God in anyone, doesn’t hurt opponents physically, and after today you can add no awareness of opponents when you have a gilt edge goal available from the goal square!!!

He has kicked goals this year but so has Raz and JoeD and that’s because we are a much better team that gives our forwards plenty of opportunities. He hardly ever creates something out of nothing and never does anything that you could describe as. “Clever”!!!

He has one role; to take away another big bodied defender from Daniher marking contests.
Pretty harsh but given others on the list that will surely develop; trade bait for mine.

Unfortunately Langford doesn’t get a look in, h is being groomed for midfield but him and Lav in the forward line would create a few headaches.

Maybe he’d be able to do it if he didn’t have the choice to take the easy option and spoil. Maybe not. As I said, it’s never going to be tried anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, Hooker/Ambrose/Hurley down back is insane, and the defenders would need to stick by Joe/Stewart/Hartley to fifty and beyond.

Doesn’t seem to move much. so has to be able to have the ball just land on his head, can he mark?

He is a huge presence who always gives a contest even if way out of position. Three on one he will still bring the ball the ground and give our small fwds a chance. No other player can do that as constantly as he does, including Joe. He has kicked plenty of goals from nothing too. No he isn’t a pretty player, but your post is so far from accurate its a joke.

He is also number 3 in the comp for contested marks. He has been huge, but like many of the returning players his form has been patchy.

9 Likes

Who, Hartley? Don’t know, hence the query in my post on whether or not he can mark.

I don’t think he can, but we can’t keep wasting hookers good years on him as a forward.

3 Likes

Would love to see those 3 in defence

And would allow Hurley to do what he does best

Who plays FF though
Francis? Laverde?