#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

I wouldn’t.
He’s not strong enough overhead, and doesn’t read the play well enough.

Worth a try tho

From one point of view, it’s hard to disagree. The talent is unmistakenly there - but for what? It’s a very talented list. That doesn’t win you a final, let alone a premiership. For that you need ‘greater’, not ‘great’. So it comes down to - is the overall package (haha) comparatively good enough? I still think it is, but may be a few years early.

De Stoop seems to think that Ambrose will be the first trial as Hooker’s replacement.

1 Like

Well that is because that’s what Jame Kelly said.

2 Likes

STOOP DOGGY DOG

1 Like

Collingwood last year was a good example of this, they had barely any height in defence but their team defence covered for it.

2 Likes

So what’s the big difference to our back line between 2017 when Hooker played forward and this year with him out. Goddard?

1 Like

Well yes, but we add Francis.

The issue is that the back line looks / acts / plays far more settled football when he is there. It cost us to move him every single time. Just that some times our forward line needed more help then the back line. A very important player for us is Cale.

2 Likes

He’s fkd

Does anyone remember that season where we had a massive injury list. Possibly it was the first year with the “Weapon”. I can’t exactly remember.

Anyway, David Myers was listed as “Knock to the calf” on our injury list and was out for half the season. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Agree about his importance. His ability to read the ball always stood out, from way back when he started with us. Loved watching him watch the ball and clunking the marks. Plus he chose to stay with us when the WA came calling and the club did as well !!! Red and Black is Cal.

Could be the opportunity for Francis to excel.

1 Like

Hooker has been the ‘rock’ in the back line, allowing others to feel confident of playing more freely, in my opinion. I have felt for a long time that our main requirement was a Hooker replacement - because basically, at this point, we don’t have one. @Ants may remember this discussion from a few years ago. We have options, but not a replacement - so I guess it depends on what we feel we need in the future. I can’t see the tall marking forward position getting any scarcer given the direction of rule changes - so neither will the counter to it.

3 Likes

Very true. Hooker going back had more of an effect than Neeld leaving in our 2018 turnaround.

family member or just a hunch?

Hooker is good, but he isn’t that good.

2 Likes

Hooker went back in round 4. So if what you’re saying is right (and I disagree wholeheartedly), it took a long time to work.

2 Likes

Sarcasm

1 Like

Whether it’s this season or a bit further down the track, I don’t like our chances of finding a player who can clunk like Hooker.

2 Likes

Good move
but Woosha is conservative