#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

James Kelly as well IIRC - both he and Goddard provided a lot of leadership and support for the younger defenders around them.

Hurley aside, we don’t have a lot of experienced defenders back there with Hooker now ruled out - the talent is there but this is a great chance for Hurley to really take ownership of the backline and lead the other defenders.

3 Likes

Well, I still think he’d be more useful forward…

:stuck_out_tongue:

I would have thought Zerk was the natural Hooker replacement (and with a LOT of luck, maybe a Fletcher). Hartley shorter term. Which is one of the reasons I argued that Hartley should be offered a new contract last year.

Yep - it’s still touch-and-go, I suppose.
Do you think Hartley will become what we need him to?

Dawson and Gilham played in grand finals and won premierships. Hartley can play a role.

2 Likes

Zerk​:heart::heart_eyes::grin:

Calf Hooker

2 Likes

IT BEGINS

Who has got the height and strength to stand with the likes of Hawkins during those pesky 6-6-6 game starts?
I’m a getting a bit Nino, er, worried.

1 Like

Yep. God help us if its Ambrose

I don’t understand the hate. He’s a mile ahead of Hartley and he’s done serviceable jobs on most occasions when he’s played in defence. His biggest problem has been staying on the park.

of course he’s not as good as Hooker. Not many KPD’s in the league are even close.

1 Like

I don’t think Hawkins is playing tonight.

I/C: L.Henderson 25, B.Parfitt 3, C.Constable 18, C.Guthrie 29, S.Menegola 27, D.Fort 28, Z.Guthrie 39, T.Hawkins 26

I think Hawkins is playing tonight.

8 Likes

you left out the comma after “think”

8 Likes

Hartley is the only key defender on our list to ever keep Hawkins goalless in a game.

3 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I think that’s pretty questionable. Having a look at his time since being a KP defender:

2016: played 4 games learning the craft, dropped to VFL. Got back into the side and played out the rest of the year, had some good signs and looked promising. But so did Hartley during that entire period.
2017: played the first 5 games, looked very promising. Injured. Played last 5 games of the year, with variable results (including getting killed one or two).
2018: Managed 7 games across two stints.

Saying he is a mile better than Hartley seems a pretty big stretch.

I think miles ahead is fair.

Ambrose has always played seniors when fit and Hartley has mostly been used as backup.

2 Likes

Would it be fair to say that when Ambrose has been fit he is usually selected?
It feels that way.

1 Like

I think with Hooker out the first 3-4 matches Heppell should spend more time in defence being the general, providing leadership etc. Francis, Hurley, Saad, Mckenna is a good start.

Play Harltey/Ambrose when matchup is required.

Ridley probably done enough to earn round 1 call up.

Would be nice if Redman, Gleeson and Dea were also available.

1 Like