#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

It would be easier to break a contract now that we've pleaded guilty to a WorkSafe charge of providing an unsafe workplace.

But I think the question above from @nickh32 is relevant to that.

Hopefully the players are equally aware as we are of what a load of garbage the worksafe sham is

Please stop applying logic to this situation.

We should all be well aware by now that the AFL will do whatever the hell they want.

It would be easier to break a contract now that we’ve pleaded guilty to a WorkSafe charge of providing an unsafe workplace.

Heard today (but it's one of these "my cousin works with someone who told him, etc, etc) that Cale Hooker has already told people he will not be returning to EFC and has already bought a house in Perth.

I prefer to wait for actual press releases, but hey, “sharing is caring”, so I thought I’d share.

PS: it seems a bit far fetched to think he is so confident of getting to one of the two Perth teams at this stage. If he has bought a house, maybe it’s just for investment or if he’s planning on returning to WA after his playing career.

Thank you for sharing, and I don’t mean to shut you down but unless you’re hearing info like this from someone very close to the matter I’d take it with a grain of salt. Its already obvious that Cale is going to be the “one” that is surrounded by constant speculation this year. The papers went early on it and there’s no doubt the weasel and co will be running with it this year. He’s an in demand All Australian key position player that happens to be from interstate. Join the dots.
Fact is the decision broke less than a month ago. I do not believe Cale has already told people he will not be returning to Essendon.

I wouldn't begrudge any of the 12 wanting to leave. I hope they all stay, especially Hurls, Hooker and Heppell.

But if any do leave, the AFL better not let players walk as delisted free agents and bend the club over even further.

Ahm… That bit is already stated.

Has it been stated by the AFL officially or just "sources say’ rubbish by the media?

Pretty sure it was stated by the AFLPA

"There remains open the possibility of players being allowed to break contracts and go to other clubs if it’s viewed Essendon breached their obligations based on the CAS findings and club admission over workplace charges laid by Worksafe Victoria.

The AFL-AFLPA collective bargaining agreement contains a clause that reads: “Each club must immediately delist a player who has terminated his standard playing contract for cause”."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-players-banned-bombers-to-begin-working-on-compensation-claims-for-players/news-story/3d88077eda8c22386476aedd9eaa3729

I’d say not 100%, but I wouldn’t like our chances if we chose to block a player from leaving

Can someone help explain something. Wouldn’t they only be allowed to break the contract if they were still on the same contract when the supplements was happening.

If a player re-signed in 2015 for example. Essendon technically hasn’t breached that contract so why would they be allowed to break new contracts that haven’t been broke?

That is a very good question. Would any of the 12 have signed their correct contract before the scandal broke in early 2013?

Anyway, it’s probably irrelevant. I would imagine if any of the 12 want to leave the club won’t stand in their way, which will hopefully make it more likely that a trade is organised rather than them invoking a clause like that.

Wasn’t it the same with the Ryder situation. The AFL threatened to make up rules on the spot for him to walk for nothing if we didn’t take Port’s generous offer of pick 87 or whatever it was.

I wouldn't begrudge any of the 12 wanting to leave. I hope they all stay, especially Hurls, Hooker and Heppell.

But if any do leave, the AFL better not let players walk as delisted free agents and bend the club over even further.

Ahm… That bit is already stated.

Has it been stated by the AFL officially or just "sources say’ rubbish by the media?

Pretty sure it was stated by the AFLPA

"There remains open the possibility of players being allowed to break contracts and go to other clubs if it’s viewed Essendon breached their obligations based on the CAS findings and club admission over workplace charges laid by Worksafe Victoria.

The AFL-AFLPA collective bargaining agreement contains a clause that reads: “Each club must immediately delist a player who has terminated his standard playing contract for cause”."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-players-banned-bombers-to-begin-working-on-compensation-claims-for-players/news-story/3d88077eda8c22386476aedd9eaa3729

I’d say not 100%, but I wouldn’t like our chances if we chose to block a player from leaving

Can someone help explain something. Wouldn’t they only be allowed to break the contract if they were still on the same contract when the supplements was happening.

If a player re-signed in 2015 for example. Essendon technically hasn’t breached that contract so why would they be allowed to break new contracts that haven’t been broke?

Edit: if the players are allowed to break new contrcts because old contracts were breached and as they are actually contracted to the afl not essendon would that also mean Ryder, carlisle, crameri and melksham be allowed to leave as free agents with there new clubs because carlisle and melksham would be in the same boat as a player who re-signed in 2015 or 2014. Old contracted breached but new contract not breached.

If any of those players choose to leave the club. They will go with my blessing.

Just don’t go announcing it the week before we play finals.

It’s ok, we won’t be playing finals this year.

Wash your mouth out!!

If any of those players choose to leave the club. They will go with my blessing.

Just don’t go announcing it the week before we play finals.

It’s ok, we won’t be playing finals this year.

Shouldn’t you all be in bed?

Also Woosha said he likes Hooker as a backman. Whether he’s changed his mind or not, who knows.

If we assume that we’re going with a three tall fwd/two ruck setup, one of the following needs to play forward to support Joe and the resting ruck:
McKernan
Hurley
Hooker
Langford
Brown
Gwilt
Pears
Hartley
Francis

Personally the defensive combination of Hooker and Hurley is too solid a combination to mess with unless every other option has failed up forward. Adding Brown gives a lot more flexibility should one of them be needed forward though.

Aside from Brown I wouldn’t be counting on any of the draftees to play much senior footy immediately. Which leaves the best options as McKernan, Brown or Langford. It will be interesting to see how they try to develop Langford.

Key forwards already look like being a priority at next years draft though.

Yep, won’t be in the hunt next year, develop our speed and system in the middle and throw the house at a 22 year old kpf for 2018. Unless of course we happily find that we’ve got a couple of new generation prototype forwards already on the list…

Mitch Brown/McKernan to fight it out as the other tall forward.

Mitch Brown/McKernan to fight it out as the other tall forward.

Why not have both? McKernan resting ruck to rotate through with Luey

Seems that way WD. The defence has been much stronger than the forward line for 2 years now , and the failure of Hooker /Joe up forward last year was mainly due poor centre clearance performance of the mids, poor delivery into the forward line and Joe tailed off towards the end of the year . If our mids improve, the scope exists to change the balance of power from defence to forward and retain Hooksy down forward.

Hooksy is the best leader we have had in the forward line for years . The way he went about it last year when he moved down there, the commitment, the passion, was fantastic. Hurls supplies that leadership in truckloads up back now he is in that mature age group, and we have some experienced defenders to support him. No doubt Brown can slot straight in to take the second tall forward. If necessary, it seems Hooker and Brown could swap, because Brown appears to be very mobile as well as a great mark and can dominate up forward at VFL finals level.

As to the draftees , with a full pre-season, a top 5 draft pick should be able to play in round 1 if their body is ready, and our 2 look ready, so our other players will see more competition for spots . Thats a great thing for us…

Hooker absolutely must play fwd! We need scoring power. Hooker fwd will add balance to the team. Our backline will still be plenty good enough. Brown is a very good defender with some ability to go fwd. Depending on the game and situation, we can always swap them over.

Hooker can read the game well and knows when to push back. Kicking for goal aside. When you show what he did fwd this year, its very hard to push him back when there is no better option.

edit sorry
just realized I said pretty much the same has Chris did.

Or maybe we plan on playing the guy who was selected in the VFL team of the year at CHF as our CHF? For reference Hartley was also TOTY CHB.

At least this wasn’t a Hurley forward thread, thank F we are over that one.

I think we went for KP backup with the potential to shift things around if one bobs up with some great form.

Question is, is Heartly in better form than Brown?

Yep. I thought the exact same thing after the draft

I expect Brown and Hartley to play forward, not back

Nah, leave Hooker down back where he belongs, at least until other options have been tried & tested.

I’m thinking Hartley will be depth to start with. So it could be JD, resting ruck & Brown up forward, with the ability to interchange with the KPD’s depending on what’s required in game. They could even go more mobile with JD, resting ruck & a couple of medium guys like Edwards, Francis, Langford & Laverde (even Watson & Goddard) up there & then rotating through the middle.

I suppose which rucks are in form & used will also play a big part, with McKernan providing the most flexibility.