#26 Cale "Thank You Mr" Hooker - rejects a brown paper bag from FCFC

On the Pre draft show broadcast on afl.com.au they interviewed Worsfold and he mentioned how he liked Cale up forward to relieve pressure on DanI her.

i think we have drafted for flexibility. Brown is flexible, so is francis, Hartley potentially frees up hooker or hurls to go forward. Once we locked in the first two picks we weren’t likely to get a developing KPF so going with tall defenders makes sense when you consider hooker’s second half of the year.

woosh has some big decisions to make structurally. Do we want to play JD one out paired with a resting ruck, do we play tbell and berger, do we play 2 talls forwards and a resting ruck, where does jobe spend most of his time, is ambrose in the best 22?

we have many more options and possible combinations than we did on monday. Ideally we still want a developing tall forward and young ruck on the list but we will not get both from the rookie draft. regardless the depth chart and our kp options just got a massive boost.

Possible tall set up (obviously there are a few more possible combinations and it ignores ambrose):

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Smack XXX
XXX JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Brown XXX
Smack JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX Hartley/Brown XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX hooker XXX
Smack JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX Hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Brown XXX
tbell JD XXXX

personally i like the look of no.1 or no.3 but 3 will depend a bit on what hartley and brown can produce over the preseason. people will immediately make noise about smack at CHF but i think the structure could be interesting if we compliment him with jobe, langford and possibly ambrose.

would back Hooker in to bag 50 next year if he stays forward, love his aggression.

On the Pre draft show broadcast on afl.com.au they interviewed Worsfold and he mentioned how he liked Cale up forward to relieve pressure on DanI her.
I think he said Hooker had to go there to provide a second big body for JD. Not that he liked, it was a gap.

Just an out-there option.

XXX Brown Hurley
XXX Hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Smack XXX
XXX JD XXXX

I think Brown is a very capable player, and freeing up Hurley for 3rd tall defender may work in a similar way to Fletch.

Great post Ivan.
The coaching panel have a bit to think about in regards to what the best mix of talls is.
What is clear is that I never want to see:

Leuenberger, Bellchambers, Mckernan and Daniher in the same team.

Even Leuenberger, Bellchambers and Daniher in the one side I would be wary of.

I think it should be:

One of Bellchambers/Leuenberger as the primary ruckman (70%) + Mckernan as the forward who rucks approx 30% + JD as the permanent tall forward and then a pseudo/mobile tall rotation up forward (Langford, Ambrose, Edwards, Laverde, Francis fwd etc. Maybe Brown at a pinch if he is deemed mobile enough and good below his knees etc).

Just an out-there option.

XXX Brown Hurley
XXX Hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Smack XXX
XXX JD XXXX

I think Brown is a very capable player, and freeing up Hurley for 3rd tall defender may work in a similar way to Fletch.

As much as i like the look of that i like the idea of getting games into francis more. that isn’t to say we shouldn’t try it at some point and if francis needs more time it is definitely worth a shot.

I think Brown will probably start forward, but swapping him and Hooker mid-season if it doesn’t work out will be a viable alternative.

Hooker should play as a defender and will.

I think Brown will probably start forward, but swapping him and Hooker mid-season if it doesn't work out will be a viable alternative.
Yeah, I thought this. With the possibility of Hartley pushing Brown back to the VFL if his form as a backman warrants him ahead of Brown if Hooker goes forward.
i think we have drafted for flexibility. Brown is flexible, so is francis, Hartley potentially frees up hooker or hurls to go forward. Once we locked in the first two picks we weren't likely to get a developing KPF so going with tall defenders makes sense when you consider hooker's second half of the year.

woosh has some big decisions to make structurally. Do we want to play JD one out paired with a resting ruck, do we play tbell and berger, do we play 2 talls forwards and a resting ruck, where does jobe spend most of his time, is ambrose in the best 22?

we have many more options and possible combinations than we did on monday. Ideally we still want a developing tall forward and young ruck on the list but we will not get both from the rookie draft. regardless the depth chart and our kp options just got a massive boost.

Possible tall set up (obviously there are a few more possible combinations and it ignores ambrose):

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Smack XXX
XXX JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Brown XXX
Smack JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX Hartley/Brown XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX hooker XXX
Smack JD XXXX

XXX hurls francis/gwilt
XXX Hooker XXX

XXX XXX XXX
Berger XXX XXX

XXX Brown XXX
tbell JD XXXX

personally i like the look of no.1 or no.3 but 3 will depend a bit on what hartley and brown can produce over the preseason. people will immediately make noise about smack at CHF but i think the structure could be interesting if we compliment him with jobe, langford and possibly ambrose.

Are we playing the Vin Deisel xXx or the Ice Cube xXx?
Also, I’d steer clear of having a XXXX on the bench after the roasting we got for having sheisha on the bench.

fwiw…
You’re right. We drafted flexibility. It means depending on match ups, injuries, development, etc. we can play any of Hooker, Hurley, Brown or Francis forward or back. If Hartley becomes a best 22 defender, then we really do have a lot of opportunity throw the team around.
This is probably the most flexible and talented group of talls in the league and the first time we’ve had genuine ‘swing men’ since the Sheedy years in the early 90s.

Best forward on the list so yes, he should play forward unless of course Brown does the job. If nothing else Essendon has options!

Time to resurrect the Pears forward experiment

if only we had a capable forward coach to make the forward line work.

Shades of the

Hurley - Fwd/Back
Carlisle - Fwd/Back

debate of yesteryear.

WCE won in 2006 kicking 85 points in each of 3 finals and 113 in the other. That is Worsfold’s game plan, fast attacking halfbacks and a gorilla at CHF. Brown and Morgan on the backline, Dempsey and Hooker forward.

It’s a good thing there are 17 different teams to play against instead of just one. Otherwise, fark, we’d have to decide on a fixed position for everyone!

Well, that’s weird, … didn’t he say a few weeks ago that Hooker was a backman & would play as one??

Well, that’s weird, … didn’t he say a few weeks ago that Hooker was a backman & would play as one??

probably only watched the second half of our year over the last few weeks, can’t imagine he was tuning in to watch us live. Hooker’s competitiveness up forward is pretty attractive not to mention he is one of the best goal celebrators going around.

It's a good thing there are 17 different teams to play against instead of just one. Otherwise, fark, we'd have to decide on a fixed position for everyone!

Don’t you think there is a benefit in settling players into a position? Do you really think that Hooker is going to swap ends throughout the year if the team is going well?