#27 Jonathon Giles

A couple of journos have mentioned in the last 24 hours that the club is privately saying Giles is no good and won't be picked for senior footy. The evidence of last weekend seems to back this up?
A cynic would say you got the order of that wrong, and that by "privately" they mean they haven't actually heard anyone say that but it must be true because we we wrote it, right?

We may be underestimating how much the game being in Perth influenced selection for this one week before Smack re-becomes available.

I put the word privately in there, only because no one at the club has said it in a public forum (and of course they wouldn’t).

I take your point that Perth is a big ground and perhaps we decided not to take a lumbering ruckman that struggles to cover the ground, but I can’t really see how playing no ruckman and extra numbers around the ball gives us a better chance of winning the game. Likewise I haven’t seen any other clubs electing too not play a ruckman in Perth just because it’s a bit ground.

We elected not to play Thurlow under similar circumstances last year and of course he was cut from the list at the end of last season.

oh well if a couple of journos said it...

Of course it doesn’t make it true. But it doesn’t make it false either.

leans it more towards empty drama

A couple of journos have mentioned in the last 24 hours that the club is privately saying Giles is no good and won't be picked for senior footy. The evidence of last weekend seems to back this up?
A cynic would say you got the order of that wrong, and that by "privately" they mean they haven't actually heard anyone say that but it must be true because we we wrote it, right?

We may be underestimating how much the game being in Perth influenced selection for this one week before Smack re-becomes available.

Of course it doesn’t make it true. But it doesn’t make it false either.

Goal kicking coach next year maybe :wink:

Must be true. I read it on the internet.

(Actual quote from someone I used to work with when the rumours of Michael Slater fathering Adam Gilchrist’s kid made the rounds.)

He kicked 3 goals. He’s fine.

Good player.

oh well if a couple of journos said it…

What i don’t understand is that is he really that bad? Surely he can’t be that bad, ive seen him at VFL and although he dosn’t look very agile and looks slow he still looks decent .

I don’t disagree on that point

I don’t rate how the club rates guys.

Strikes me as an old style crash and bang ruckman, would've been far more effective in the 70s and 80s.

Much more of move towards ruckman being agile and athletic to offer more around the ground, which is why we will upgrade McKernan and play him the moment we can.

Seems pretty effective up foward, and can still see him playing a role in the forward line/2nd ruck in the Seniors if the right match ups eventuate.

I think Mumford proves there is still a place for a crash and bash style ruckman. Not saying Giles is as good as Mumford, but IMO there is a role for him at Essendon around the centre bounces ala Mumford. But not as a sole ruckman, I believe we are much better off playing both Giles and McKernan than Bellchambers solo, because of McKernan’s mobility around the ground. He would make a beast of a centre bounce midfielder in Myers’ absence.

I agree with what BK is saying. We were in a tug of war with Adelaide to gain him. The fact he passed going back to his home state was huge in that EFC obviosuly promised him game-time.

Didn’t he sign a 2 year contract or was it only one?

Can we try him at full forward?

I’m a bit over watching us kick it OOF from 15 metres in front.

We need Jesus at the moment, any divine intervention.

May Giles be our conduit.

Amen.

Looks a bit Jesus-ish, with that beard. If you squint real hard…

Enter the moment, enter the man.

If he cant make it now, he never will.

ewww…

Isn’t it 'come the moment, come…never mind…

Giles+Smack
Giles takes off to the square after the tap and stays there. Smack CHF and chop-out. Laverde on the wing…klingons on starboard bow. Langford HHF BRING EM IN!!!

I had a similar thought, but decided it was something that might work if I was still coaching U18s, but not at AFL level,… but anyway,
I had a thought of having both Giles & SMcK at the centre bounce, and then SMK takes over as a Blicavs type around the ground, whilst Giles goes as fast as he possibly can to the goal square & stays put.

That way there would at least be a target there when the boys run forward, & Giles is really only doing the 2 things he excels at, centre taps, & kicking sausages.

Like i said, doubt we’d really get away with it at this level though.

It’s a fun scenario though:)

Back to the OP. Why did we recruit him? Can’t get a game when we are missing our first ruck and CHF. We would rather play an AA defender in the forward line and play a backup ruck as first ruck than give this guy a game. I don’t understand it. Love SMACK but he is not a first choice ruck, been given a hiding today