#27 Jonathon Giles

Must play next week.

I don’t care how bad he is in the twos.

I honestly think we need to bring him in.

Our issue today was not in the ruck.
We badly lacked spread at the right time today.
We didn’t have the inside players getting it out quick enough.
We have been badly beating in the ruck before and still managed to get the insider players (ie Watson) getting the ball out to spreading players quickly enough to be in the game.
Bringing in a slow disinterested ruckman will not turn our form around.
Clearly today there was other issues involved- lack of intensity, desire and confidence.

Worst recruiting decision ever. It’s notlike he had no exposed form, why the hell pick him if we aren’t ever going to play him even if we have no other options

Our issue today was not in the ruck. We badly lacked spread at the right time today. We didn't have the inside players getting it out quick enough. We have been badly beating in the ruck before and still managed to get the insider players (ie Watson) getting the ball out to spreading players quickly enough to be in the game. Bringing in a slow disinterested ruckman will not turn our form around. Clearly today there was other issues involved- lack of intensity, desire and confidence.

i agree with all of that but it isn’t justification for not picking Giles. our structure is abysmal at the moment and we robbed ourselves of the one good thing we have going for us at the moment (our defence) by not playing giles. At least give the side a fighting chance by playing 2KPDs 2KPFs and a ruck

Worst recruiting decision ever. It's notlike he had no exposed form, why the hell pick him if we aren't ever going to play him even if we have no other options

So he wouldn’t bob up somewhere else and kick 5 against us…

Worst recruiting decision ever. It's notlike he had no exposed form, why the hell pick him if we aren't ever going to play him even if we have no other options

So he wouldn’t bob up somewhere else and kick 5 against us…

Based on that logic, and current form, we should probably sign every player, player partner, parent, grandparent or child that has ever pulled on, or even thought about pulling on, a pair of footy boots.

Just in case…

Has to come in. We can’t continue with not playing 2 guys capable in the ruck. We’re just uncompetitive in the ruck for large portions of the game, it leads to easy clearances for the opposition which puts massive pressure on our defenders.

Has to come in. We can't continue with not playing 2 guys capable in the ruck. We're just uncompetitive in the ruck for large portions of the game, it leads to easy clearances for the opposition which puts massive pressure on our defenders who are in the forward line anyway covering for our lack of talls.

fixed

Our issue today was not in the ruck. We badly lacked spread at the right time today. We didn't have the inside players getting it out quick enough. We have been badly beating in the ruck before and still managed to get the insider players (ie Watson) getting the ball out to spreading players quickly enough to be in the game. Bringing in a slow disinterested ruckman will not turn our form around. Clearly today there was other issues involved- lack of intensity, desire and confidence.

i agree with all of that but it isn’t justification for not picking Giles. our structure is abysmal at the moment and we robbed ourselves of the one good thing we have going for us at the moment (our defence) by not playing giles. At least give the side a fighting chance by playing 2KPDs 2KPFs and a ruck

Yeah look you could be right.

When I look at our KP outs

TBELL and JC
We have only really replaced 1 in smack and class Stien as a KP.
We were already short a KP and Stien isn’t a KP. So Giles could definitely help fix our structure.

must come in to at least try to restore some structure and balance to the side

interesting listening to Bomber asking Harvey about why giles isnt playing. (on 3AW pre hawks game)

• Rate McKernan higher on form
  • dont want to play 2 rucks with 3 Key backs in side its not ideal to bring another ruck in the side. at some stage they may play with 2 ruckmen in the side
    Bomber says hes not a young man, do you not rate him.
  • we recruited mckernan as well and he was in better form at VFL and that forms selection.

BRING HIM IN

By not picking him we are effectively saying he has gone backwards in terms of ability since he first began playing. Strange decision if that is what the thinking is, but that is all l can come up with. With Buckets going down and Hooker needed to marshall the defence along with Hurls, Giles needs to come in so Smack can spend more time providing a contest and some presence in the F50. Gwilt can’t hope to compete as a KPD, as we saw on Sunday.

Reluctantly I have come to the conclusion that our mids are not good enough to be able to play 4 quarters when a rank amateur ruckman like Ambrose or Joe go into the ruck .
In 2014 Ryder to virtually rucked for a whole game. he is gone now. McKernan is good for 3 quarters but drops off unless he gets a rest.

The Midfield need Giles in there, they need every bit of help they can get. The ruckmen will have to rest as goal square forwards.

meh, might as well

“dont want to play 2 rucks with 3 Key backs in side its not ideal to bring another ruck in the side”

How does our backline setup affect the ruck? How often have we had 3 key backs in the side?

Reluctantly I have come to the conclusion that our mids are not good enough to be able to play 4 quarters when a rank amateur ruckman like Ambrose or Joe go into the ruck . In 2014 Ryder to virtually rucked for a whole game. he is gone now. McKernan is good for 3 quarters but drops off unless he gets a rest.

The Midfield need Giles in there, they need every bit of help they can get. The ruckmen will have to rest as goal square forwards.

this
we get absolutely smashed in the ruck when ambrose/hooker/carlise goes in

I dont understand why we cant play Giles, yes he may not be the best ruckmen running around but at least he can provide a contest and make it an even contest in the centre square instead of getting absolutely smashed

I just fail to see how bad he could possibly be. But I think Blitz all agrees on this topic which is a first.

A couple of journos have mentioned in the last 24 hours that the club is privately saying Giles is no good and won't be picked for senior footy. The evidence of last weekend seems to back this up. How did our recruiting staff get it so wrong? He was recruited only 7 months ago and we've now completely put a line through him without playing a senior game?
What's no good mean? Is he injured or is he not up to AFL standard to play AFL? What exactly does no good mean?