#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Also not suited to playing on smaller types that Saad & Redman in particular & also Gleeson does.

The Redman mid move and Ridley in just isn’t going to happen.

More likely McQuillan if he comes on would be the one who might allow for it. And that’s going to take some time if so.

If only playing Ridley would make Zaha play like a contested beast!

I definitely would play Redman on the wing - I worry about his one-on-one defending and smarts in defence - he’s coming along well but needs to be used to the best possible advantage.

1 Like

Redman and Gleeson on the wings would be my move. Both bigger, good endurance and quick. They can mark/intercept are smart footballers (which you have to be to play wing) and are good disposal.

Cutler could take a spot, but on current form he would be their backup.

It leaves open the HBF for Ridley, moves Zaka to HF/Middle. Move McGrath to The middle.

Also provides more spots around HBF which I think a few other could excel at. If we could find another speedy HBF with Ross then it would also allow us to put McKennas power into the midfield.

Saad Ambrose Guelfi
McKenna Francis Hurley

2 Likes

…and, both tough as “boots”!! :roll_eyes::wink:

1 Like

I consider Redman one of our better man on man defenders with great defensive smarts. In his short career he has shown great balance between defending and knowing when to attack.

Will only get better.

He is far better defensively man on man than Ridley or Gleeson.

Did Redman recover from this or was he still not quite right when they broke for the break?

He was still in recovery stage.

1 Like

I feel like Gleeson’s got him well covered in that area at this point.
A few games - and not saying this as any huge criticism per se, just part of development - Redman got lost on his man, or got frustrated after losing one contest and switched off, allowing an easy one.

Ridley, sure.

1 Like

Ridley poses a number of problems as a defender. Finding a suitable matchup for him, his one one-on-one defending and ability to affect aerial contests are all issues. He is a beautiful kick, but rarely uses this skill to open up the ground. His decision making is very conservative. I think Redman and Gleeson will be used regularly as defenders this year, and likely beyond. While Ridley looked all at sea playing wing at VFL level, I think we need to persist with him up the ground because there is too much against him as a defender. Both Gleeson and Redman are brave in the air and are unlikely to get exposed if dragged to the goal square.

4 Likes

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall in Ridley’s season review, I think he was my pick as big improver this year but he looked well off the pace, just about all year.

Somebody needs to gif that double tackle where he gave little gaz a reason to retire.

9 Likes

yep that pace to the contest made up like 5 metres to lay the tackle, then second effort and holding the ball tackle on Ablett was elite. should have been 50m penalty too as grumpy ablett wouldn’t get up and pass the ball back.

13 Likes

We’ve looking for what this team represents over the past 5 years haven’t we. What do we stand for?

That individual act is something the whole club needs to highlight and move forward with.

It was a statement, a turning point, an ethos, all in a small individual act easily forgotten in the washup of the game. It’s what I want from every player in the red and black. Ruthless, unrelenting, selfless footy.

17 Likes

What an effort me and patrickbombers were clapping at the TV haha

RESON MADMAN

3 Likes

71 Likes

this is the best one yet

Take that Gazza

Crowd would have gone bezerk if this was a season game.

Gazza forgot to duck his head.

3 Likes