#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Good grief

1 Like

He aint playing midfield Scott has mentioned that he will puting players in their best spot and not try to shoe horn them into their non preferd posistion

1 Like

to paraphrase BDB,

ā€˜im gonna play players where they play best and not force defenders and forwards into the midfieldā€™

5 Likes

Yep.

Wouldnā€™t hate seeing him pushed up to a wing, or set up to course through the clearance.

Has he been tried on the wing or through the guts at any point? I canā€™t remember what his vfl development looked like. Everyone is currently obsessed players spending their entire career in a single position. Iā€™m a fan of seeing what flexibility a good player has. After all, Tippa was a small defender and he turned out to be a serviceable small forward.

3 Likes

Walla was a forward who they tried to play as a small defender

Redman started in the vfl as a forward, his absolute most value is as a defender, he is not a ball hunter imo

1 Like

Ridley, Lav and Redman are all mid sized defenders playing tall. When we push some actual KP sized players into the 22, that creates a really awkward problem. Redman just seems like the most likely to push up the ground.

Redman doesnt play tall. We almost always have 3 or 4 players taller then him in defence.

1 Like

No. They wasnā€™t my point, so Iā€™ll rephrase.

An ideal mix would be Ridley and Laverde playing medium, Hind, Mass and McGrath small and two actual KP sized players filling out the back 7. We are 1 medium player too many.

With Redman dominating the 2km, heā€™s got the fitness to play up the ground. Heā€™s got size that we lack in the middle. It would be great for the team and the player to add strings to his bow.

2 Likes

On current form you just play Lav on a tall or drop him or Mass for Redman. No need to overcomplicate it and mess with Redmans form.

On displayed form from 2022, Iā€™d be keeping Lav in and dropping Ridley.

He was a shadow of his B&F winning self last year

3 Likes

Is that because we played Ridley as a lockdown role, so suppressed his talent? I think playing actual KP sized players would free Ridley up to play with more freedom. Itā€™s the main reason Iā€™m after a change, neither Ridley or Lav are playing the role that suits them as we are forcing them to cover our lack of key defenders.

3 Likes

I dont agree with that.

I think thatā€™s partially it; imo Ridley was at his best when heā€™s been allowed to play 3rd tall, read the flight of the ball, and intercept everything in sight. Him having to play a lockdown KPD makes things awkward. Imo the other part to it is that I donā€™t think heā€™s been the same player since Hipwood concussed him behind play (wasnā€™t even cited by the MRO.) Maybe itā€™s due to the change in position, but imo he hasnā€™t seemed to be putting his body on the line as much as he used to before that.

2 Likes

With Scott wanting to play players in their proper positions I doubt weā€™ll see Redman moved. Redman is a small who isnā€™t short.

Out of Redman, Mass, McGrath and Hind I can see Hind being dropped if we want to bring in a 2nd KPD and relegate Laverde to a 3rd tall spot; McGrath can break the lines with his run and isnā€™t a liability in defence.

But even then I donā€™t think we have any candidates with Reid going down to fill the 2nd KPD, so I think weā€™ll be playing BZT, Laverde and Ridley as talls with McGrath, Mass, Redman and Hind filling the small roles

6 Likes

For the coming season I agree with you that looks the likely backline.

But pretend injuries arenā€™t a factor, what do we need to coach into our 2023 players so they are the best possible overall team in 2024/25. We donā€™t need to sacrifice development for wins next year.

We can lock our medium players in the backline, then find ourselves with an excess of single role medium defenders in 2024. Or we can give Lav or Redman some gametime up the ground to give them options when the talls push someone out.

I disagree, Neither Ridley or Laverde are attacking enough nor damaging enough

Neither have Redā€™s foot skills or pace, nor the natural instinct to take the game on
Question marks also on Ridleys ā€œcompetitivenessā€ (in comparison to Red)

1 Like

Not Lavs fault that the ball lives in the backline where heā€™s costanly undermaned and under pressure

If he was playing in a team thatā€™s decent at defending he would be one of the best miduim type defenders in the league

4 Likes

Lav just gets dropped if theres a better option at FB. Problem solved.

FB Mcgrath Hayes Ridley
HB Redman Reid Hind

Mass on the bench.

1 Like

Itā€™s likely something like Lav being pushed out. Injuries generally keep 1 player out of the side, so everyone would play a significant number of games through the year.

It does feel like a bit of a waste for the solution to be pushing someone to the vfl instead of upskilling them to play a secondary role.