#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

If Redman moves into another position it just pushes someone else to the VFL.

There will always be genuine reasons for and against

Iā€™m of the opinion that players should be played where they provide the greatest value to the team as a whole, for me that means Redman plays as defender who is also an offensive weapon

He may well be a reasonably good mid if played there but the loss to the backline outweighs the gain in the midfield imo

3 Likes

What if I suggested using Lav and Redman primarily in defence by to also do stints on the wings and add to the rotations? Instead of having purely Mid/Fwd rotations, have some Mid/Def rotations to share the load.

Would also give us flexibility if we have an injury mid game. Could swing the 8th backman into the midfield, or into defence.

Do you think Lav would do a better job then Mcgrath in the midfield?

Redman plays best with the play in front of him and can play off his opponent. He reads play well and can link up with his run and carry.

Ridley is actually quicker in his first 20 metres than most on our list but his problem is he has lost the confidence to beat his opponent one on one always looking for the 3rd man in to impact the contest.
I am certain Scott will re focus his attention to play back shoulder rather than taking the front position which impacts his decision making on when to go or when to try and chop off.

Simplify Ridleys role to a pure lock down role along with Zerk and have Laverde and Redman playing as medium tall defenders.

Good point. Add Pidge into the midfield rotation too.

(Meant in jest, but thatā€™s the vibe Iā€™m pitching. It could really be a weapon with limited bench rotations.)

There are only so many CBAs to go around, normally 4-5 players are taking almost all of them. Then we have Langford, Martin, Durham and other midfielders taking the wing spots. Thats already plenty of rotations. Mcgraths probably not even needed to chop out in there let alone Laverde as well.

1 Like

I think CBAs are a pretty junk metric. The set positions disappear in seconds after the bounce. Most of the game is kms covered at speed, keeping a complex expanding and contracting matrix of players around the ball. Itā€™s something the tv coverage does a terrible job at explaining, you only see it live. Itā€™s why we get chopped up so easily.

Anyway, I donā€™t want to keep harping on about it. I used Redman as the interesting kick off point about our upcoming medium defender surplus and how I donā€™t like our obsession with single role players. With limited bench rotations, you either find fresh legs elsewhere on the field or you lose the game to the side thatā€™s worked out a trick you havenā€™t.

2 Likes

Not sure Lav has the weapons to be particularly useful but Red I could imagine doing cameos further up the ground

One of the best games I saw Laverde play before he went back was I think the final in Tasmania where he had some absolutely awesome marks on a wing. One of the highlights of the game. Iā€™ve repressed pretty much every other detail of that match.

Iā€™ve watched Tippa kick the winning goal against North with 17 secs on the clock many times. It was Laverde with 2 north defenders hanging off him who handballed it to him. Hardly gets a mention.

23 Likes

Just to be clear I dont have a problem with Redman spending some time during games in the midfield or at half forward, especially if he does some good things while hes there, I just dont think it needs to be a planned out role change, or that it solves any problem with us having too many medium sized defenders.

We arenā€™t short on future wingmen like we used to be. Martin is elite, Langford more than serviceable, Cox and Durham have plenty of promise as does Tsatas and AD3.

Moving Redman to the wing could work, but it could also rob him of the continuity that he seems to thrive on. Heā€™s been tried forward, then briefly on a wing and then found his niche in the backline, then kept on getting interrupted when in good form with injuries; let him settle and be the quarter back captain we need.

I also think Laverde is getting underrated at the moment, he was one of the few players to show some heart last year and has been played out of position on much taller opponents (with a midfield allergic to defending). Move him into the 3r tall spot and get the midfielders to pull their finger out and heā€™ll be a force.

Long-term heā€™ll be the Dale Morris/Dylan Grimes ā€œstopperā€ medium-3rd tall defender and Ridley will be the ā€œsweepingā€ medium-3rd tall defender. Mass, McGrath and Redman as the well-rounded smalls who can each provide plenty of high quality rebound; leaving 2x KPD spots to fill from BZT, Reid, Hayes or whoever else we pick up.

10 Likes

He was tried wing and forward flank I think?

Yeah. He was a bit of a spud up forward.

Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between being the Hunter and being the Hunted. A failed forward will regularly turn out to be a good defender. A good defender rarely transitions to be a good forwardā€¦.cause you know, there was a reason he was playing as a defender in the 1st place.

1 Like

I dont think he will leave but if he does how do we trigger a band 1 compo pick?

Depends on the contract he receives from the pursuing team. I donā€™t profess to know specifics but it would need to be around $700k x 4 years to trigger Band 1 - similar to what Daniher received from Brisbane.

Crows are coming very hard for him, though Iā€™d say unlikely we get Band 1 for Redman.

They seem convinced heā€™s coming at bigfooty

If Essendon match or better the Crows offer can that that trigger band 1 will it force the crows to up their contract?

Thereā€™s your problem right there. Stay off BF

20 Likes