#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Oh what would he know.

2 Likes

Heā€™s definitely emerged as a front runner for captain which is encouraging given we are not flush with leaders.

At the very least he should be a vice captain.

The ironic part is, he seems to have emerged as peoples front runner cos they seem to believe he will be hard and ruthless as captain on and off the field, as much as he is considered it well on field during games.

The irony being that is coming after only 1 above average season (last year) but the bigger irony is, zac merrett was considered all this, has produced it for longer, but got kicked out of the leadership group (voted for by the players) cos he essentially wasnā€™t warm and cuddly enough for this club cos he was goddard like and wanted higher standards all round and didnā€™t like people who coasted along.

1 Like

Merretts issue is hes quiet and a bad communicator. Redman is apparently a good comunicator and is very vocal on field.

2 Likes

Is he ? who says redman is a good communicator ? are these the same people who say heppell is a great leader ?

and whatā€™s bad communicator mean in this context ?
cos from memory in merretts situation ā€œbad communicatorā€ was supposedly not engaging with players in a lovey dovey mate type deal like heppell, which again hasnā€™t exactly produced great results.

Iā€™d hazard a guess merrettā€™s ā€œbad communicationā€ was moreso related to telling home truths some werenā€™t liking or willing to hear prior to now apparently seeing well supposedly redman will be more vocal onfield, cos heā€™s going to have to be constantly very vocal on field about all the things that arenā€™t being done right, is again supposedly has merrett labelled as a bad communicator.

unless heā€™s going to fight and wrestle everyone into submission to do things his way.

2 Likes

Heppell could have been Carey X Hodge as a leader and we still would have sucked-balls his entire career Iā€™m afraid.

4 Likes

Training watchers have said it and you can see for yourself how he is in interviews. Merrett is quiet and introverted. He leads by example but thats all he does.

Nope he is not.

We have found him polite and articulate to his Supporters, and vocal and explicit to his Teammates

6 Likes

Thats not what ive gathered from training reports. Always seems to be said that Merrett and most of our other players are very quiet on field. If hes vocal and a good leader then whats the criticism of him as a potential captain?

1 Like

Once again its the small group of people who cannot accept any form of perceived negativity (even though this isnt that) against players.
Almost every single person that has watched training has noted that Zac is very quiet and not vocal.

4 Likes

Being vocal doesnā€™t always equate to good communication, though, just like being quiet doesnā€™t make you a bad communicator.

We donā€™t know this for sure. It is not hard to find clips and pictures of Merrett talking with and supporting the younger players. From my perception on field, I prefer Merrett very much to Heppell.

There were games where Heppell stepped up but that was before Watson handed him the captaincy. His injuries didnā€™t help but he never really stepped up as the captain - a good example of this would be the Richmond game. Everyone knew Rutten was gone, and there was nothing to play for but Merrett was the only one who still played to win - hell, he took down Nankervis in a great tackle. Iā€™ve never seen Heppell do anything like that.

Iā€™d like to see Redman have one more good season before putting him in the leadership group. I think this group makes the most sense (well, to me, anyway)

Merrett C
McGrath VC
Shiel DVC

Merrett seems to speak when he has something to say, from what I know about him. He can be chatty, but no hot air, most things he says are calculated and he seems to always have the right answer. I am not sure if everyone views this is a good or bad thing, and maybe it is a trait of perhaps seeming a bit quiet (as opposed to continual encouragement etc) but the way I view Zach, heā€™d make a brilliant captain. His opinions and advice would be highly valued within.

Iā€™m not sure Reddog is quite ready yet, but he definitely shows signs. I think McGrath should be considered ahead of Redman as a captain, but Zach is the best candidate imo.

6 Likes

They arent the same thing but ive heard both

We dont know any of this for sure, its speculation from outside the club.

From my perspective Redman has more charisma than Zac. When Iā€™ve watched Zac do media heā€™s pretty boring to listen to and does not come across as inspiring. If youā€™re going to give honest feedback and challenge a group of under performing people you also have to inspire them to get better. Maybe this is Zacā€™s issue and why he has never been able to cross that leadership threshold.

1 Like

The Merrett for Captain brigade will talk ā– ā– ā– ā–  on anyone who threatens their boys perceived owed captaincy and completely disregard any issues presented on how heā€™s team mates basically voted him off the leadership group not too long ago for various reasons already mentioned over the years.

ā€¦ like who? I donā€™t think thereā€™s many of them, and equally, there is a couple of posters who will hang ā– ā– ā– ā–  on Merrett at every opportunity.

While, it is not the same thing, Jack Riewoldt has always been more vocal than Trent Cotchin, and there was some criticism about his captaincy too, as he was the ā€œget me the ball firstā€ type. I didnā€™t rate him as a leader on the field before he changed his game completely and got his hands dirty. Like Merrett, Cotchin was perceived as an introvertā€¦ and heā€™s a 3-time premiership captain now. I just believe Merrett is that type of leader, he is willing to do anything for the team and continue to lead from front.

9 Likes

RED DOG.

(theyā€™re not ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  horns)

WTF is this? If I am a part of the brigade, then (I guess) I apologise that my opinion may not be the same as yours.

Zach took on board the deficiencies he had show prior and remedied them from what I know.

And the word you are searching for is his not heā€™s.

1 Like

I would have thought the most important attributes of a captain is to lead by example and to have the ability to rise to the occasion when the heats onā€¦ thats how you communicate and Iā€™ve see Zac do that many timesā€¦. make him our next captain now, vc Red dog & 2MP

1 Like

Agree Zac should be Captain.
He demonstrates the kind of steadfast focus and discipline that successful Leaders possess.
Red Bull has a little too much larrikin in him for mine.
Great to have that in the side, you need it, but captaincy might not be the right option, at least not now.
As he matures he might become an option for the future.
Definitely leadership group though.

3 Likes