#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Absolutely, I have always thought that…:ok_hand:

Isn’t that how the Blues write their contracts?

Agree and I hope like heck he stays.

But, just in general terms, not even specific to Redman, there are reasons why playing your footy at the Adelaide Crows would be appealing right now. They play a very well rounded and incredibly exciting brand of footy and have genuine match winners. Nicks has been very methodical throughout this rebuild and laid strong foundations. The bulk of the hard work has been done. If you went there now you’d be joining a team that looks like they are ready to do some damage. If not this year then in the coming few seasons.

Cue the ‘yeah but it’s still Adelaide’ type comments lol

Redman isn’t worth $750k + so Adelaide can have him…provided we keep RED DOG on similar coin or less.

A Glenelg staffer recently told me that they wouldn’t be surprised if that Eli doesn’t get drafted that they find a spot for him on their SANFL list somehow or even use a late pick on him. I don’t think that ever works though

That took quite a bit of googling and re-reading to make sense of who you were talking about there. I was thinking, Eli Templeton? Eli Manning?

Then I figured he might be a relative and typed in Eli Redman and saw that that’s the name of Mason’s brother haha.

Yeah classic bait move that.

Brent Harvey and Jarryd McVeigh might join us still. You don’t know.

1 Like

he is definitely worth that, last year at least 84 players earned over 700K, redman is definitely a top 84 player

1 Like

Yeah sorry. His brother is in the U18’s at Glenelg

1 Like

Gosh, I didn’t realise that. Spend away

Whats he worth to you?
Its a very interesting one because he probably is fairly payed at 700k a year.
800 is a little too much though.
Gotta remember we have a massive cap and 800k isnt what it once was.

Does he want to try his hand at VFL? I’m sure we can find a spot for him on the VFL list. Two can play at that game

zach merrett is essentially doing what Tim Duncan, Draymond Green did in the nba, sacrificing his own salaries, so his team could have more money to keep their best players. Merrett doing this means we can give redman 800K without feeling financial pressure

He mentioned in his draft night video that he grew up barracking for NM, so maybe we should be worried he’ll go there!
He says his hometown is a similar distance from both Adelaide and Melbourne. There is no “go home” factor as such. If he goes to Adelaide, it would be for the money, plus if he sees the Crows as being closer to success (I don’t think they are), but he seems fully invested at the Bombers (now, not just on draft night! :smile:).

The other factor is Mason knows how the AFL system works, and might see straight through those things.

That said, it must just be coincidence that Kyle Dunkley now plays VFL for the Brisbane Lions…

Easily? Do you mean he defends the best, or that he’s the best player in defence?

Kelly and McGrath might have a claim on the former title, Ridley and McGrath on the latter. The evenness of that defensive group is one of its real strengths.

Regardless, $700,000 a year would be at the upper threshold of what you’d want to pay Redman.
Would love for him to stay, take a hit to his maximum pay packet in the interests of building chemistry in the group.

He is still prone to the occasional brain fade. If you’re in the top 5 earners at your club then the criticism for such things becomes much more intense.

He seems to be a team man, has hit form with us, is being allowed to play to his strengths, and has a great ‘supporting’ crew developing back there.

The offer would have to be outrageous to tempt him away.

1 Like

he is easily the best defender, some other defenders we have include mcgrath ridley kelly bzt laverde hind heppell. Redman is the best of the bunch, and 700k is honestly unders for him, 800-850 is fine

I think the smart players understand they need to take a bit less to keep a good team together.

the challenge for essendon is to convince players like Redman that we are finally legitimately building towards being a good team

700k would be the threshold for me. Hasn’t been in an AA squad or top 3 in a B&F (?).

If a club wants to offer 850k+ to prize him away, we would need to be compensated fairly. We’ll have others asking for big contracts in time and we can’t be overpaying.

3 Likes

should be top 3 this year and should make the aa squad this year too