#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Certainly implies the club rates him. Maybe jump on the wagon! :slight_smile:

I think based on what heā€™s shown, heā€™d clearly get a 2018 contract right now. Given his frame and how he will presumably grow further into it, my belief is that 2019 will be turn out to be fully justified. But then, I like how heā€™s progressing and how heā€™s looked in defence. And we really need people to step into McGrath and Bagā€™s shoes over time (although Iā€™m not ruling out Dea for one role).

Iā€™m still holding faith in Mason.
The recruiter that told me how much he rated him is on notice though :grinning:

4 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised in the two VFL games I watched this month - He looks comfortable playing hb/wing - Skills are still inconsistent and his decision-making could improve - Expect him to play senior footy in 2018.

Two rangas down backā€¦

He looked fantastic off the half-back flank today. Hopefully, McGrath plays predominantly midfield next season, and Redman slots straight into that vacant spot.

Came home pretty strongly this season:

6 Likes

So what did he do that impressed people? I still donā€™t really have formed idea of what type of player he is.

Not sure it was the breakout game everyone is claiming. Butchered the ball a few times.

I still think he has the tools though. Iā€™d give him first crack at Kellyā€™s spot next year unless we trade someone better in

Thought he played in a similar fashion to previous games. Didnā€™t increase or decrease my opinion of him. Surprised a bit that others thought he had a better than average game.

I thought he was pretty good yesterday from the from I have seen looks to be assured across HB. I like really like him as a prospect as to me he appears to be a real allround tallent. Penetrating kick, nice hands, good decision maker, great size, reasonable pace and he has that real competitive edge that you canā€™t manufacture in players.

1 Like

I wonder how he would go as a back pocket in the AFL?

I actually thought he had a poorer game than the previous ones Iā€™ve seen this year. Didnā€™t think his use of the ball was as clean as Iā€™ve come to expect.

Iā€™m actually pretty excitied about what Redman can bring next year. He will have more size, has good skills and kick, pace and is not small height wise.

He has spent the year on the HBF at VFL which should get him ready for a real crack there next year.

2 Likes

There is a good opportunity for young Mason next year with Kelly moving on and and McGrath moving onto the ball. Our backline is in an interesting state, Iā€™m not sure we are big enough with just Ambrose and Hurley and Iā€™m not sure we are quick enough or agile enough with them both + Hartley and Gleeson. Iā€™d love to see Redman push into the group we certainly need two more capable small defenders.

We got a kid with character who will do whatever he has to to make it.

Good height, neat skills.

Hes one ww just need to come from the clouds a bit and hopefully claim a spot off half back

1 Like

There will definietley be opportunities in the back line next year. Hopefully a big preseason and a breakout year awaits.

1 Like

I hope for his sake he nails the JLT and demands a spot round 1.

1 Like

I reckon Langford should be given a chance to become the third taller defender.

Now youā€™re really scr@wing with him.

Langford - forward, middle or back?

3 Likes

Redman I find to be the most interesting player in terms of how he can develop.

Heā€™s had a couple of niggling injuries but nothing significant enough for him to miss massive chunks of the season.

Played forward first season and in my opinion showed a bit without setting the world on fire.

This year played back after having an interrupted preseason and again showed a bit once he worked up to fitness.

The seniors is stacked for hfā€™s but lacks depth down back so thatā€™s his likely position.

We have Mason, Ridley, Francis and McNiece as players that need to establish themselves in the next season or two (albeit in slightly different roles) or they may need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

I think Redman needs to target at least 5 games if not more and show that he can play a role at the level.

1 Like