#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Son of Lobster farmer. Enough Said.

I’m surprised lobsters grow on farms, I was more thinking off-shore somewhere.

Nippy

You can farm $20 notes?

I want in!

I look forward to when we have Mason Redhead Fletcher playing with Mason Redman in a few seasons.

Have a good feeling about this kid.

I quite liked him at the Nationals.
Looked a natural forward and good decision maker. Even more impressive finding out later that he’d never played the role before.

Looks the goods to me - really happy with the pick!

Plays tall

Interesting pick. Not 100% sure on this one, I’ve only seen his champs games and while he certainly could find the ball and caught the eye, his kicking on goal just let him down too often. Very mobile, good on the lead, bit of a ball magnet, good overhead. Add 3 inches to his height and he’s a top 10 kpf pick. I suspect (and hope) instead we’ve picked him as a mid or even half-back - I’m not sure his fwd game style lends itself to playing 3rd banana behind two genuine talls in JD and ???, but the reports on him as a runner are good so I assume that’s where we’re going with him.

HFF to wing eventually?

How many Goddards?

Interesting pick. I know Woosha said he wanted forwards, but I think we this type covered - the mobile third tall type: Edwards, with Laverde and Langford rotating through.

He looks ok, and actually resembles Goddard, and have to presume he’s selected as midfielder as much as forward. He’s a good mover. I’d have been more inclined towards another in and under type like Mathieson at this pick, or maybe a sweet rebound defender like Bonner, but trust that Dodoro knows exactly what he’s doing. Highly rated, I’ll go with that. Could be a steal.

Only saw him a couple of times this season and whilst far from a complete article he noticeably got better as the year went out. Have heard a lot of good stuff about him, don’t think we will be disappointed

2 Likes

From memory

Interesting pick. Not 100% sure on this one, I’ve only seen his champs games and while he certainly could find the ball and caught the eye, his kicking on goal just let him down too often. Very mobile, good on the lead, bit of a ball magnet, good overhead. Add 3 inches to his height and he’s a top 10 kpf pick. I suspect (and hope) instead we’ve picked him as a mid or even half-back - I’m not sure his fwd game style lends itself to playing 3rd banana behind two genuine talls in JD and ???, but the reports on him as a runner are good so I assume that’s where we’re going with him.

I remember reading that he believes he’s a midfielder but was given forward role in the championships and just ran with it.
Might be another one like Langford that the club view as a midfielder longer term.

Well, I’d rather too many HFFs than too many HBFs.

Reminds me of bernie vince

On the TV coverage he was talked up as Jack Gunston like. If he can play that type of role to any sort of decent level we will have found one here.

Models his game on Beej.
Welcome to the Bombers, Mason.

Goal kicking wingman

It seems like anyone who’s tallish, skinny and can mark is talked about as a ‘Jack Gunstan’ type, although in this instance Redman is also 6cms shorter sooo I’m not too sure about that comparison. They said the same thing about Langford last year, which seems more accurate (Gunstan is 193cm, Langord 190cm and Redman 187cm).

Sounds like a cracking kid but this was probably an usual pick for me, especially if we genuinely want to develop him into a midfielder. Seems to be a similar player to Langord/Laverde and considering we’d already picked up a versatile utility in Francis (granted, he’ll probably play as a defender though), I thought we’d go with a bigger bodied, natural inside mid here in Balic, Mathieson, Clarke, etc.

An interesting choice re list management and I’d be keen to know the reason for us taking extra time before our second round picks.