28 Games - The Rise of the Baby Bombers - Premiere Tues 4th September 9PM Fox Footy

I remember 93 so clearly

Was living in the UK up north near Manchester at the time having spent most of early 90’s backpacking around the world & had to rely on a magazine sent up to me from London that was kind of a monthly news / sports rag from Down Under / NZ

Read all about young kids like Hirdy / Mercs / Joe & Fletch who were playing some great footy for the Bombers

When I called home to find out if we’d beaten the Crows to make the GF, I immediately booked a flight back to Sydney then hopped on the overnight train (Southern Aurora?) to Melbourne & got to the MCG early on GF day

Naively thought I’d score a ticket from a scalper into the game as had done so in both 84 + 85 + 90 but it wasn’t looking good

I spent all day walking around the G holding a sign begging for one ticket.

About 20mins before the bounce I’d pretty much given up & started walking over towards the Royal (can’t remember if it had the same appeal back then :blush:) and a tall guy stopped me in the car park. He said “hey mate I’ve got a ticket you can have for $50 except you’ll have to sit next to my girlfriend & her mates in the new southern stand cos I’ll be in the Members bar”

I looked up and got the shock of my life – it was Vanda !!

Me & his missus + her 2 (quite hot) girlfriends went in shouts all day & celebrated probably the best Essendon flag I’ve experienced so far this lifetime

37 Likes