#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

The thing is, ReasonableBomberSean, it is easy to miss Paddy’s work if you’re not looking for it. He doesn’t rack up stats or create much of a fuss. He just eliminates his player from the rest of the game. If we had had him for the last game against Norf, Brown would have kicked 1-2 goals instead of 6. He played on Brown in round 5, and Brown kicked 2 for the night.

5 Likes

He is the most trustworthy player in the side, a little anxiety just leaks out of everyone as soon as he is named.

1 Like

Type of guy that opposition supporters don’t rate at all, but then can’t work out why their best forward had a shocker.

32 Likes

Not just our side but actually the best 1:1 lock defender in the whole competition.

I saw a stat that basically said that just before he was injured - he had only lost 7% of contests for the whole season to that point.

1 Like

While playing on a “no name”!!! :smile_cat:

It’s been posted above. Had lost TWO 1 on 1 contests for the year.

ibwould love to see the 1:1 stat for small defenders.
saad seems to do outstanding in those situations.

2 Likes

If Paddy had another 2 or 3 inches (of height, you children) he’d be impossible to beat.

Club has him listed at 191cm, so it’s pretty remarkable that he is able to go to work on guys who are usually closer to the 195+ mark.

2 Likes

It’s getting to the stage where you’d like to see footage of those two incidents to see how they managed to beat him.

1 Like

the goal tex kicked on him was when he fell over and tex ran to next contest got the handball from betts and slotted it.

1 Like

Strong unit, decent closing speed… just outbodies taller blokes before they can get to the drop of the ball

Lower centre of gravity combined with supreme strength helps him against the bigger guys no doubting

Ambrose is the “stealth bomber” that slips in under the radar and destroys his target.

Ha. Yes I know David King is generally regarded as a flog. But even the flogs are starting to wake up to realities.

King just called Ambrose a “star defender” on the radio.

I never thought I would hear that tbh.

2 Likes

Because he defends star players?

3 Likes

He’s kind of like Daneil Talia in that he doesn’t give his opponent an inch and you don’t want the ball in his hands either

Shades of Mark Harvey, just a six footer at 185 and took over CHB in 93.

He won an AA position at CHB as well which is incredible as at that point in his career he was badly beaten up. Harvey was a true football hard man, courageous to a fault with a brutal shirt front. He was also the best kick in the team with his unique ‘round the corner’ style. What a player.

3 Likes

Only bloke I’ve ever seen flatten Worsfold and not get up for a bit

Worsfold’s coaching has improved since he and Mark have been separated on matchday, just saying.

1 Like