#29 Patrick Ambrose -- forward or back?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
It's not just that he didn't have time ... it's that once he grabbed it, he's instantly tackled and his arms are totally pinned, so he has no chance, & no way to dispose of the ball, & ultimately loses hold of it while being shunted backwards like a landrover hitting a wheelie bin.

Hmmm, yes, point acknowledged. Had to frame by frame the footage to see that. The left arm wasn’t pinned per se, it’s that Ambo’s bulk is between it & the ball. Same end result, he had no chance to get hand nor boot to ball.

■■■■■■.
He has the look of a small animal being consumed by a vicious beast.
Pinned on not. He’s scared sh*tless

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Any reason why the Ambrose tackle wasn't paid as holding the ball? Hill threw the ball out. It wasn't knocked out in the tackle.

No prior, ball knocked loose in tackle

Still don’t understand why that isn’t incorrect disposal. It wasn’t like he knocked it out with his hands. Hill had three to four backward steps before he let go. My call would be a free. Guess I just don’t agree with modern umpiring.

It’s not just that he didn’t have time … it’s that once he grabbed it, he’s instantly tackled and his arms are totally pinned, so he has no chance, & no way to dispose of the ball, & ultimately loses hold of it while being shunted backwards like a landrover hitting a wheelie bin.

The one on the other wing (third quarter?) where a standing player simply leant down and placed the ball on the ground was the one that ■■■■■■ me off. Think they scored after that, too.

Quoted Post

Any reason why the Ambrose tackle wasn't paid as holding the ball? Hill threw the ball out. It wasn't knocked out in the tackle.

Hawthorn were very very “lucky” about 15 times we tackled them in the last, that the ball just happened to be “knocked out” of the tackle at exactly the same moment they had a team-mate running past, and it “luckily” landed straight in their laps. What are the chances?
Hill was clearly looking around for a team-mate around before he dropped it. Had clear control of the ball, Ambrose’ tackle didn’t really pin his arms too effectively.

It’s good coaching by them, the rule isn’t really all that clear IMHO what is dropped vs what is knocked out vs what is a throw, they make the absolute most of that grey area.

Agree with this though. Saw them do that a number of times. Don’t think it happened here, there was no one to “drop” it too.

Edit: Dont want to labor this, coz it’s really all “whatever, we won”, but, looking again, I just realised he only “drops” it, when he realises he’s going down, on his back, & hard, and he tries to get the only arm he could do, behind him to take a bit off the body slam he knows is coming … in the end his judgement on that was pretty spot on. Has he gotten up yet?

Quoted Post

It's not just that he didn't have time ... it's that once he grabbed it, he's instantly tackled and his arms are totally pinned, so he has no chance, & no way to dispose of the ball, & ultimately loses hold of it while being shunted backwards like a landrover hitting a wheelie bin.

Quoted Post

No Prior opportunity.

I heard a great story about Paddy last night from one of the players. Apparently about 8 minutes into the match, one of the fitness staff had noticed Frawley on all fours and out of breath. They were surprised as he is considered an endurance runner. Anyway they looked at Paddy’s GPS data, as he had been playing on Frawley, and supposedly Paddy had run 2.1km in the first 8 minutes and completely blew Frawley up.

The players seem to love this bloke.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Hmmm, yes, point acknowledged. Had to frame by frame the footage to see that. The left arm wasn’t pinned per se, it’s that Ambo’s bulk is between it & the ball. Same end result, he had no chance to get hand nor boot to ball.

Quoted Post

Hawthorn were very very “lucky” about 15 times we tackled them in the last, that the ball just happened to be “knocked out” of the tackle at exactly the same moment they had a team-mate running past, and it “luckily” landed straight in their laps. What are the chances?
Hill was clearly looking around for a team-mate around before he dropped it. Had clear control of the ball, Ambrose’ tackle didn’t really pin his arms too effectively.

It’s good coaching by them, the rule isn’t really all that clear IMHO what is dropped vs what is knocked out vs what is a throw, they make the absolute most of that grey area.

what he said!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

The ump was towards the middle of the ground and would merely have seen the ball emerge from the mushroom cloud of dust, debris and remains.

The chump was on the wrong side of the Hill.

I think the argument is that its a throw/drop.

Not sure prior opportunity effects a throw/drop

I’m flabbergasted anyone could thnk there’s any free there. He was smashed the moment he took hold of the ball. Ambo hits him so hard, he loses the ball while desperately trying to keep hold of it, … No prior, . it’s play on every day of the week, as far as I u/stand the rules atm anyway.

If it was paid against us, I reckon crew here would be screaming blue murder.

The gif above doesn’t show it, this one does.

Quoted Post

No prior, ball knocked loose in tackle

Quoted Post

The ump was towards the middle of the ground and would merely have seen the ball emerge from the mushroom cloud of dust, debris and remains.

Quoted Post

gotta have this on each page for a while.

Twice is even better.

Ambrosaurus. - (essendese) Fauna - Aust: A rare beast. Cross between a T Rex & Man. Capable of making mere footballers sweat with no more than a stare, and turn to water when within bulldozing range. (See example below)

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Doesn't really play like a fwd to me. More like a mid who has a license to tackle or cannon-ball anyone at will.

That tackle against Hill was superb. Never screamed ‘Ball’ more loudly.

All i remember was screaming “PHWOARRRRR” at the sheer brutality of the tackle.

Carry on, mr ambrose

Quoted Post

Doesn't really play like a fwd to me. More like a mid who has a license to tackle or cannon-ball anyone at will.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

tackle was so vicious it forced the air out of onlookers lungs.