#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

That’s basically a complete 180 from where you initially started by saying that parish was getting off the hook, and needed to step up. But anyway

I stated why I said that.

I agree with Smooth though. He’s never going to be a superstar so needs to up his production or become more damaging.

Lots on here run to the usual suspects but I do believe Parish rarely comes in for analysis.

Bloke playing solid if not spectacular football comes in for less spirited discussion than, for example, a player some people think isn’t AFL level and others have half-jokingly referred to as the next Fyfe? I think that’s to be expected.

If Parish is playing to the same level in say 18 months, I’d say it’s a fair chance he becomes the new Zaharakis in terms of rolling Blitz arguments.

He’s done absolutely nothing wrong this season. I’m very happy with his first two games. He’ll continue to improve

8 Likes

That’s probably because there’s nothing to complain about so far. He was clearly one of our better players against Fremantle. Clearly. Did you not think so?

1 Like

“He’s going to have to be like Tom Scully”. “He’s never going to be a superstar” wtf?? He is 20 entering his third year and has played 40 odd games with the majority of time spent on HFF in his second year. Tracking beautifully. Calm down fellas.

I do have issues with this original statement. It’s like there’s only one way to get to “elite” and that’s by step improvements, rather than small gradual incremental improvements.

Development is like a child’s growth, sometimes it is in steps, and sometimes it’s gradual and barely noticeable, but next thing you know they’re looking down at you and you wonder when that happened.

As long as Parish is still improving (and you seemed to agree he was), then I reckon we can be happy.

I thought last week he was super good at a couple of key times against Adelaide. That is definitely an improvement from last year. I thought he wasn’t as good this week, but still was pretty good.

I would love him to get more of the ball, and is obviously something that he still need to improve.

But is he still improving? Yes. And as an inside mid it almost always takes time. I’m happy with where he’s at 2 years and 2 games in. I expect in another 23 games he’ll be even better.

This. The future of the midfield is 1,3, 5 and 7. And that is at least damn exciting

Bit harsh on killer mike here i agree somewhat in the sense that parish hasn’t really improved since his first year. The question was raised at the end of year one who you’d take out of him and Oliver so they were at about the same level then. Now you’d take Oliver hands down. His kicking and body strength are still areas to work on as well as getting more possessions.

2 Likes

I would have taken Oliver after the first month of their careers, it was clear from day 1 he is EXACTLY the kind of player we need

2 Likes

If we had of had the balls and traded up to take Oliver, he would probably be playing VFL learning a HF role right now.

2 Likes

I think of all the trade periods ever, we showed plenty in that one…

3 midgets and 1 medium size player. The others must laugh if we think that will be a dominant midfield

3 Likes

whew was gearing up for a fight

Well add in taller, bigger bodies (whoever the fark they might be) and it looks a lot better, obviously

I agree he’s been solid and has shown small improvements. I don’t have a problem with that at all because unlike a lot of others I am patient and can see that the players and the game plan are a work in progress.

The reason I raised Parish for an example because he is a high draft pick, has had games pumped into him in his preferred postition(which is a lot more than can be said about other kids) and is regularly compared with Cousins on here.

If other players come under scrutiny why doesn’t Parish?

I just think some supporters are inconsistent with expectations is all.

To me it’s not whether he was one of our best in what most are saying was a terrible team performance on the weekend.

The point I have made numerous times is how he has no expectations from our supporters even though in my opinion he’s only mildly living up to a high draft pick at this stage.

McGrath in comparison is living up to his number 1 tag by playing consistently high level football.

Because he’s not under performing?

I realise you are trying to make some sort of commentary on blitz politics, but you’ve picked the wrong player.

4 Likes

I agree with you.

But as I stated above why do we have such high expectations on the team being a top four side of we can’t get steep improvement from the second brigade.

We know already what we will get from our top end talent. It’s the next wave that we are going to get the boost from.

Do you think Joe has underperformed or Merrett? Or Langford? Or any number of players that get flogged by the supporters.

Isn’t it about expectations?

I for example don’t expect Green to be a match winner each week but he is usually a soft target.