#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I don’t think you understand how most people use “big bodied mid”. Watson and Kennedy who you mentioned are/were often referred to as that and they have zero speed. Maybe you were thinking of “bull” which some use to refer to a powerful explosive inside player?

Terminology aside you are right, most teams don’t have a Martin and their midfield still works (the reigning premiers for example), people just clutch at stars (and straws) when our midfield is not performing.

3 Likes

Francis and Stringer as starting mids …:star_struck:

Height doesn’t matter but I am still concerned about our ability to win contested ball at ground level. Centre clearances will be important this year and we haven’t really replaced Jobe in this space.

1 Like

We finished third for centre clearances (CCL) last year and with the addition of Shiel can’t see how we are going to get worse.

Even in clearance differential(which is more important) we were very high.

There is very rarely more than one or two clearances difference between sides so clearances are not that great of an indicator on how successful a side is.

Cripps has all you guys in a spin this preseason.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s actually a bit of a misconception that we can’t win clearances. We had a problem with them 12 months ago but the guys turned it around dramatically in the season and we became one of the better clearance winning side.

1 Like

I just read my post and I see what you mean.

But yeah, my point was that you don’t need to be big (or a bull) to be a clearance machine, and that Cripps is not normal.

A date that will live in infamy.

Of the top 10 leading contested ball winners in 2018 only Mitchell and Neal are below 183 (6ft).

Height (i.e. weight and reach) is not everything - but it does help when you’re trying to hold your ground and free your arms. Parish is at a disadvantage with his size, but nothing he can’t overcome… look at Mitchell.

1 Like

In Skippy we trust

1 Like

Big game on Thursday for parish. If he stinks it up again, it’ll be a vfl start imo. Maybe not round 1, but I see Clarke eventually getting a run in the role parish is playing

3 Likes

It was a JLT game not a season proper game. For the coaches it is about getting run into the legs and clear out some off-season cobwebs. It may also involve trying a few different things to see where they can work best. I doubt poor form based on what fans think will see him out.

3 Likes

Tbh, I wouldn’t be opposed to starting both Parish and Langers in the VFL and make them force their way into the seniors, doubt it will happen with both though. I won’t be surprised if one of them missed round 1, I reckon they may be fighting for the same bench spot, as should Zaharakis tbh (assuming everyone is fit).

1 Like

What worried me most about Parish’s game is he resorted back to that 2 kicks 13 handball nothing kind of games that got him dropped last year.

1 Like

Whatever your opinion on parish is, good or bad, if he plays like he did against carlton against the cats, its not that mind boggling to suggest he may play round 1 in the VFL

2 Likes

Why Zaka? He played really well last season and i doubt a bloke his age is going to go full tilt for the JLT. The other blokes around his age haven’t even played. There’s no way he is fighting for a spot.

1 Like

I totally agree. Same with Langford tbh and I’m a big Langford fan.
If they’re happier with the form of Laverde and Guelfi for example, I don’t see how all 4 of these guys fit in at the moment.

1 Like

I’m a big parish fan but it’s a real important year for him. He needs to step up

10 Likes

I think our fate this year could very well rest on what Parish, Langers & McGrath can produce. Assuming the guys who are already established are able to perform somewhere near their potential then we have a side that should be competitive most weeks & win close to if not enough games to play finals. IF guys like Parish, Langford & McGrath can take their game to another level then we will have a midfield that can match it with any team. That is what is needed to win finals.

8 Likes

Totally agree. I reckon if one steps up we are a lock for top 6 and borderline for top 4. If 2 or 3 of them do, then look out!

1 Like

I agree however will just add that it is more than just the young guys taken a step forward, it is also about the whole team working together as a unit and being focused for the whole game. Even one cog out of place and not at their best can severely impact the game.

At the start of last year the young guys worked hard (and the newbies) but the more senior players were poor. This was addressed and we saw a big improvement to the side and the potential the side has.

This is what sets aside the GF winning teams and the lower middle order teams, it isn’t just about players improving, it is the whole side improving and working together.

1 Like