#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

think Britney would fit in well.

2 Likes

I think that part of his game is overrated. I think he tries to dish it off too fast and too often and he often ends up taking the wrong option and/or selling a teammate into trouble. Maybe you could blame his teammates for not thinking as fast as him, but when it happens as often as it does, I think the fault is on him, because heā€™s got to be better at anticipating what his teammates expect and what they are ready for.

When weā€™re in our panicky, too fast mode, heā€™s often a big part of the problem. Then we go too far away the other way, slow down and end up bombing down the line. We need a better balance between fast and slow and Parish is a perfect example of someone who needs to improve in that area. How many times have we seen him rush a kick on his left foot and stuff it up, when he had plenty of time to either get onto his right foot or handball to someone in a better position? Just rushing too much.

Edit: Iā€™d love your opinion on this though @ivan because I do enjoy your detailed analysis

Everyone has favourites. KM is more noticeable because heā€™s a regular poster and heā€™s often prepared to put a strong opinion out there. Although I suspect heā€™s getting a bit gun shy in that regard.

I think Parish has been a big favourite on here since he started and people just donā€™t like it when heā€™s criticised. If KM was posting in the Zaka thread instead it probably wouldnā€™t even be noticed.

i reckon your being pretty harsh on himā€¦we have absolutely farked him around for most of the year

watch the last quarter v Sydney. he won us the game. heā€™s a damn good player

6 Likes

Apart from that qtr, Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s done stuff-all in terms of clearances since (Iā€™m not looking back through the stats, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s already been posted on here). Everyone is hanging their hat on one qtr.
Having said that, I think his inside play could be a strength. But his decision making is poor at the moment. Maybe that would improve with more regular time in the middle.
McGrath has some things he needs to work on his well that also revolve around decision making and disposal, but heā€™s also far better defensively than Parish.
Plus Iā€™m still not convinced about Parishā€™s tank. I know @Reboot said itā€™s not a problem when I questioned it a few weeks ago. But Iā€™ve never once seen him in the top 5 of distance covered for a game. He regularly plays small minutes and rarely has extended periods on the ball. Against the Bulldogs at the ground, I thought he looked gassed a few times and simply couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t run enough defensively (he wasnā€™t alone that night).
I just think there must be a lot more to why heā€™s not playing regular midfield minutes than ā€œderrrr the coaches are stupid and have killed his developmentā€ā€¦

2 Likes

Darcy is being hurt the most by our coaching panelā€™s refusal to play a big bodied mid.

Big bodied midā€™s donā€™t just get the contested ball, they create space for players exactly like Darcy to get away with the ball or get a clean pick up.

Hepp took on from Jobe being the insanely courageous human battering ram around contests, and we really lack the captain courageous type whoā€™s not just in it for cheap stats but wants to throw his weight around in an inspiring fashion

Stringer was our go to guy but without him cupboard is bare, maybe time for Clarke?

Our midfield is being out physically beaten, and to get Parish back to his best we need someone to give some grunt work

1 Like

This year before last night? Twice. His other two left foot kicks were a mark inside 50 by Langford and a kick into space that a team mate ran on to.

1 Like

Would help Merret and Shiel too

Has to be priority this year via the draft or trade

Darcy is one of better players. Heā€™s one that I think we should always play on ball an let him work it out. Tank will build over time. Just sucks that no one around him thatā€™s a midfield beast to compliment him an McGrath

1 Like

During the Adelaide game, there is a play coming out of our forward 50 (12:37 left in the 3rd qtr) where Seedsman starts about 20m behind Parish, runs straight past him and puts another 20m+ gap between himself and Parish. Seedsman ends up with the ball around their 50 and kicks a behind.

This could be a once off as I couldnā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed it happen before, but this stood out to me during the game and his defenisive running might be the reason that he doesnā€™t get much midfield time when we have others available to play in the midfield?

3 Likes

Just watched that play.

He actually ran straight past parish and Mcgrath,
I never noticed it live.

That is very very poor defensive running from our midfielders. Very concerning.

Nice pick up.

I know I questioned Darcyā€™s defensive running just a little bit earlier, but I reckon itā€™s hard to be critical of one incident like that in isolation without more information. Specifically how much running each of the players involved had done in the time leading up to that play? Maybe Seedsman had done stuff all and was really fresh and maybe McGrath and Parish had been playing on ball for the previous 5 minutes and were gassed. Maybe we had other players who hadnā€™t been as involved in the play for the last 5 minutes who were designated at that time to be the cover in case of a fast break the other way and itā€™s those players who were at fault, not Darcy and McGrathā€¦ Iā€™m sure I can get universal agreement that it was probably actually Zakaā€™s fault :slight_smile: ). As much as certain players get praised for ā€œwilling himself to the contestā€ there is no player alive who can do it non-stop all day.
This is where extra footage (eg the down the ground footage) would be useful because it would make it easier to go back over the footage and see how much running each player had done leading up to that. Or the detailed GPS stats on players would allow them to work it out. Surely the coaches have this information to make a more informed judgement on the effort levels of McGrath and Parish in a situation like that.

I wonder if they have more info on that sort of thing, even at junior levelsā€¦ any idea @THE_DON1?

Back in the days before zones where it was all just man on man, this sort of thing was easier to see, but in these days of zones when players spend a lot of time not actually on a man, it makes it harder to tell who is at fault and maybe the closest guys arenā€™t actually the problem at all.

It comes back to the terrible information we get as viewers about whatā€™s really going on. I canā€™t recall where @ivan posted the article on that a week or so back, but did that article also mention GPS stats? Thatā€™s another really useful piece of info that weā€™re missing out on by only seeing the limited info that is available on the AFL live app.

Parish had never struck me as a defensive runner and was hardly a strong tackler in juniors aswell.

Recruiters do focus on it from what Iā€™ve been told by scouts. They wouldnā€™t get GPS numbers but when scouts go to games they focus hard on everything they do with and without the ball.

3 Likes

I think I put it in the Gary Lyon media bashing thread

If we could trade him for a quality big inside mid I would do it

He should be a lot better by now. He has moments but they are just that most of his output has been average. He is a pick 5, 23 y/o 100 game mid and we donā€™t rate him enough to play him big minutes in our middling midfield. Thatā€™s says a lot.

4 Likes

Says a lot about our young player development strategies, the same thing has been happening with Ridley, Drap and Zerkā€¦ and then people like you expect miracles in a couple of games after our coaches having played Parish ā€˜sparinglyā€™ on the ball.

I can assure you playing middlefield is a lot more challenging physically and mentally than for a key defender and lots of game time in the role is needed.

1 Like

If we could trade him for a quality outside mid with good disposal Iā€™d much rather do that.

I know everyone is upset about the loss( me too) but suggesting that we trade parish. No ,just no

The guy is a star in the making

2 Likes