#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

Fair enough.

I probably do but I think it’s probably a result of the lack of rotating our squad when I believe it should be.

It doesn’t change my opinion of Parish though. I don’t think he has enough tricks and I don’t believe he ever will.

He just doesn’t have hurt factor and o think it’s important and even more so with our game plan.

I will just stop commenting on him all together if it’s easier.

1 Like

Don’t do that, comment on whatever the fark you want.

But if you go too hard at Darcy, I’ll pop up, because I like him!

6 Likes

Crawf & Cousins had off the charts running capacity though which is the main reason they impacted games as much as they did. 30+ constantly as would gut run contest to contest, and get used in link up play.

Parish does not have that it seems, or is just running to wrong spots.

Remembering they were spending last year getting him to work on his outside game accordingly.

1 Like

Unless my google search is wrong.

Sloane 79kg/183cm
Parish 80kg/180cm

Sure there is some correlation, but intangibles such as heart for contest, experience, core strength etc also play a massive part.

Not sure I see it either, however I’m happy to give him a run at it given injuries etc. I do like that he has a bit of mongrel about him and isn’t afraid to get a bit physical.

AFL TRAITS

How did he go in the VFL?

The two that we were comparing were Ablett & Selwood, not Crawf & Cousins.
And the comparison was purely one of height and size at the same age.

Count me as one of those who think we overrate Parish a tad. He’s a handy player and had some good games, and may in time become a very good player. He’s not that yet.

He’s being bunched with other players of similar size as if to suggest his size isn’t an issue, but those players had attributes that Parish hasn’t, or hasn’t yet at least. Ablett was a genius in close with unbelievable ball handling; Selwood a fanatic at winning the ball; as mentioned, Crawf and Cousins could run all day as well as being highly skilled. Even Mitchell just knows how to find the ball.

Parish’s problem is that he doesn’t have a distinct weapon. He’s not particularly quick, he has reasonable stamina without it being elite, his skills by foot are too often poor, and he hasn’t displayed a particular knack for finding the ball. And he doesn’t have the bulk to offset some of those deficiencies. There’s something o work with there, but it needs development and time. I think that’s been neglected, but now is the opportunity. I wouldn’t be rushing him back into the seniors until he knows his game better.

4 Likes

Agree to keep him in the twos for a little while. He should be made to really, really earn his spot back. For a competitive guy who has played very little reserves football to date, it would be a pretty big blow to the ego to be running around in the twos.

I think he will dominate in the Vfl. But want to see them make him do it for 3-4 weeks in a row before he gets a recall. Watch his attack on the ball when he does make it back.

I reckon he will stay for good from there. He is a very good young player who has just temporarily lost his way.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with the first paragraph - we overate all our players.

But I’m not letting yet another one of these go.
The only comparison I made THE ONLY COMPARISON I MADE was the one of height and size to Ablett and Selwood at a similar age. I made this comparison to prop the argument that his size and weight were not a reason for he being ‘pushed under the ball’.

Tell me, anyone - if that is not in the farking language you can understand, ok?

Keep commenting. You’ll be proven wrong.

Like Laverde, Langers and co will benefit from improved gameplan & is prob just going back to 2’s to find touch again, and hone his tackling and pressure acts back to normal levels after the slaughterhouse that was west bulldogs - carlton period (neeld saga)

1 Like

Maybe part of the reason we looked better yesterday is because we had better users of the footy.

Anyone?

1 Like

We certainly hit targets a lot better than the trash we’ve been doing recently. That has a bit to do with pressure though. Or at least, perceived pressure. And when you out pressure the opposition, the pressure magically fades from you.

2 Likes

Nah, Selwood was a tank from his first game, and people forget how quick he was too. Ablett yes, but he also took 3-4 years to come good.

I think it’s reasonable to say Parish could do with a little more size on him, which will come.

How much to do with ability, how much to do with form?

One of the (long, long list of) takeaways from that game is “pick guys in good form instead of guys in rubbish form”

I have zero doubt DP is a better user than (as an eg) Clarke: but he’s in crap form, Clarke is in great form.

1 Like

Settle champ. You’re not the only one who has made reference to his size and I wasn’t responding to you but making an observation. In any case his relative size is relevant because he doesn’t have the same leeway a bigger player has. He may grow into a bigger frame and make that conversation redundant, but that’s not the case yet, and nor does he have a weapon that makes him more than a handy player. That may change also, but sans crystal ball we’ll just have to wait and see.

I’m not farkin settling.
This whole thing came about because KM said Parish was mioved off the ball too easily because of his size. I brought up tweo champions of the game in Ablett & Selwood, who were oif similar size - because they do NOT get moved easily off the ball. This was to show that if ytou were off the opinion that Parish was too small/light/short and therefore shifted too easily - your logic was flawed.
That’s the only farkikng thing I’m interested in - and I wasn’t only referencing you with my comment, but all the farkin time things get misrepresented and skewed on here to slide in some oblique point of view. Well fark that, I’m not bending over for it CHAMP

Size is not the only factor in why players can get moved off the ball/fall over etc.

Certain players have incredible core strength, Balance and what is commonly called a low centre of gravity. Ablett Junior and Senior are/were the classic examples of this as was Daicos and to a lesser extent Stringer has it also.

I don’t care what stats say no way is or has Parish ever been the same weight as Selwood but it may not be a weight issue either.

I think Parish may end up good only because in his first year he was a pretty decent player and was a better player than what he is now. This happens to quite a few players but they can bounce back as they learn more.

I think he would end up at the very least be a serviceable mid.