#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

An instinctive feel for where and how the ball will bounce especially in traffic or packs, and an awareness of space and other players can’t be taught.
That’s the difference between a Jobe or a Hird and players who can be taught to just be very good.

1 Like

Once he builds his body and fitness, which seem to be there now, the coaches will likely use him in the guts more

I’ll back him in to become a very good player but he needs to get some depth and accuracy in his kicking.

1 Like

I think Parish definitely has a few other tricks - one is ability to collect the ball cleanly at pace in traffic. Better actually than Merrett who’s better slightly behind the pack. I reckon Darcy’s extra strength & fitness should see him burst through this year, instead of having to dish off short and fast.

His other real trick has been knowing where to run after a possession to become a dangerous option.
He often peels 10 to 20 metres forward on a diagonal and in space. In my opinion he’s never been used enough as this link / attacking option. In the era of zone defence it’s a more damaging spot to receive a quick ball than the standard overlapping run from behind. It offers more options, more yardage gained, and I also think Darcy’s a more damaging kick than some think to take advantage of this.

3 Likes

Darcy doesn’t have the defensive side to protect others compared to the likes of Heppell, Myers, Merrett, Smith, Shiel and Langford.
If you want to get the most out of him play him as the 2nd rotation behind Shiel as the attacking midfielder/stoppage player.
Shiel will be our best attacking mid.
Zaka should own a wing and stay on the outside.
McGrath I’m not sure, he’s too good on the outside to play him on the inside when we have enough that rotate through the inside role. I think Merrett is another that is more damaging on the outside too.

1 Like

What’s he worth in a trade then?

1 Like

Josh Kelly, and a third rounder.

1 Like

It’s not instinctive.
It’s learnt.

Possibly in the cradle.

Jobe had that awareness from his first games in the twos- didn’t often come off, but you could see the intent and the potential.
Hird was too slow, too lightly built, too tall for a mid and too short for a KPF, but he could see the game unfold like few others.

And? It’s still a learnt skill.

Yes. I watched him. He got a gig in the WA state side based on his name alone, and he sucked. I think Hurls played on him, kept him to 2 touches and got a BoG running off him.

3 Likes

Tenth time you’ve posted the same thing in this thread? Possibly more?

Hird was not lightly built. From memory, and I think my memory is pretty good on this, he was about 188 cm tall and about 93 kg. His height and weight were quite similar to Dermott Brereton’s, who was another champion CHF who was, by conventional standards, far too short for the position.

It was their strength that enabled them both to succeed. Hird could fly for a mark at the front of a pack and with his strength hold his position and take the mark notwithstanding his lack of height. Brereton was the same. Hird also had the balance to stay on his feet after taking the mark and the pace and presence of mind to take off and head towards goal while those around him picked themselves up off the ground.

4 Likes

Yep mid 90’s before the feet issues, he was very well built.

Sorry Darcy

1 Like

The 4th or 5th best mid in a premiership side is a star, just saying

2 Likes

I presume Marsh was a useless utility that couldn’t play any position particularly well.

1 Like

Nah, he monopolised a pivotal structural role integral to the success of the team, and he was garbage…

1 Like

People hold onto this like it some black mark on someones career that they will never remove the stain of. Here’s a few notable names who I could think of off the top of my head who have definitely been dropped once they were somewhat established players: Watson, Misiti, Caracella, Stanton, Hille, Bellchambers. Moorcroft was dropped from the senior list and ended up a Premiership player

1 Like

Done!