#31 Zach Reid

Danger in his second year averaged 13 disposals and a goal a game. Kicked 3 once.

Perkins averaged 12 disposals and 0.9 goals a game. Kicked 3 twice.

Dusty smashes them both in his second year but I dont think its anything to be concerned about.

If Perkins peaks at Zaka levels I wlll be disappointed.

3 Likes

Dangerā€™s second year was his first year - he was a 17yo when he was drafted and lived on the surf coast mostly training and playing footy with the falcons.

2nd year:
Kicked 5 once, 4 once, had two games with 3
Had 2 games with 20+ possessions and 2 with 5+ clearances

5 Likes

I laughed way too hard at this

1 Like

I kept checking if this was the Zach Reid thread :man_shrugging:

Top line key position players take time. The McKay brothers are the perfect example. Most arenā€™t able to truly compete until they fill out & this wonā€™t happen until weā€™ll after he stops growing & fills out into his frame. That is a slow process. What he does have are exceptional skills which is rare for a player of his height. Think you need to give these players until season 5 to show what they truly are capable of.

2 Likes

Would like to know if there are other clubs who have young talls that have back issues like Essendon

H.Mckay,Hipwood,Curnow etc i dont recall them having the same issues when they started we must be doing something wrong.

If heā€™d played with a heap of intensity and a ruthless competitiveness when he had got out on the park, AFL or VFL, yet had these exact same injury issues, I wouldnā€™t be as concerned.

But couple the fact that he plays stoned with also being regularly injured, and his prospects are a worry IMO.

2 Likes

Curnow was one of the most injury impacted key forwards for some time, excluding last year the 2 years before he played 4 games total, 15 over the last 3

as has been frequently pointed out in this thread repeatedly yes this is an issue young big developing bodies face

2 Likes

My bad didnt realise he was drafted at 17.

1 Like

Agreed on all points. Conservative approach is best, and he certainly has the talent and the physical attributes to be a very good player

Curnows injuries wernt back related i think

Harry McKayā€™s were

yeah I didnā€™t say they were though, look at the NBA there are so many of the taller skinnier guys that go through years of slow progress and straight up injury because they canā€™t take their body to that next level muscle wise without causing a heap of strain

Is this where we lol at the spongey floors?

3 Likes

Fixed!

I agree and have said as much since before and after we even selected him. I have complete confidence in the other two, and hope Iā€™m wrong re Archie. Iā€™ve always scratched my head as Iā€™ve never seen any inspiring vision to warrant the hype. Totally agree with the Langford comparison and that has always been my concern. I actually think he may have more confidence and desire than Langford, and hope Archie turns into the player we envisioned, but I just never saw it. A few people who know him personally have said sit back and wait cause he is a special player and that is what I have hung my hopes on.
I hope they are right.

Archie will be a gun. Probably will be approx year 5 when he really hits his straps which is when Dusty and Petracca became elite.

2 Likes

Martin was a serious gun in his second year.

2 Likes

Wonder how the ladā€™s going. Hope heā€™s okay.

1 Like

Heā€™s quickly becoming the forgotten man in the defensive group.
I really hope we get a reasonable look at him throughout the year because, even though he was well out of his weight division when first picked, I thought he showed some really good signs; clean ball handling and neat disposal are so rare in raw talls.
On the subject of kpds, Iā€™d like us to overpay a little for a 30yo backline general type.
WCEā€™s McGovern would be the ideal type to help our defenders walk taller. That type - well-credentialed players unlikely to help their current club challenge again - could temporarily float our inexperienced backline.
Any thoughts?