#31 Zach Reid

Nothing. I hit the wrong “Reply” button.

2 Likes

We will be stretching defences with 3 200cm guys in our frw half

I would think the player’s height is less of a factor as much as his speed and agility. Ie a 200 cm tall that moves like a small would be (presumably) quick and agile or more so than someone else who was of a similar height.

2 Likes

Would you pass on the next Harris Andrews?

1 Like

We’re drafting these guys on the assumption that probably over half of them will bust. Because more than half of ALL draftees are busts, talls can be particularly susceptible, and you’d expect blokes taken after a year of exactly zero footy would be even more so.

The trick won’t be fitting them into our all-conquering 2025 side, we’ll be doing very well if half of them are still around by then. The trick will be finding room for them in the VFL side over the next 2 years, so we can actually get some exposed form and experience into them so we can work out sufficiently early and accurately which ~60% of them are the busts, so we can move on.

17 Likes

Nino come on… very average by you

Very good point.

The majority of our VFL side will be KPP.

We don’t have hardly any midfielders available.

1 Like

not often you get 2 x 200cm players that can dispose well of the footy by foot.

we should have the matchup now for players like the King twins and Daniher and the other Brisbane guy (Hipwood), and Mason Cox.

1 Like

Plays like Harris Andrews

If he’s just as good I’ll be stoked

Ones - Hurley and Hooker (assume one of the two is injured at any given time), Stewart, Wright, Draper, Ambrose, Francis? I don’t really count Ridley here because he’s much more flexible and mobile than your average tall. You can probably fit one more young tall in - perhaps Zerk?

Twos - Jones and Eyre as forwards, Reid and Brand as defenders, Phillips and Bryan as rucks, where do Cox and McBride go? Though then again, they’re young talls, we can probably assume one or two will cop stress fractures or something because young talls always do.

Team balance is going to be haaaard. And there’s only going to be bloody 16 rounds in the VFL (or whatever it’s going to be called) next year so getting games into these guys is going to be even harder. Can we organise some scratch matches or something for VFL bye weeks? Time on ground is going to be really at a premium.

4 Likes

Oh, and medium forwards is the other logjam, given we’ve just added Perkins to Stringer and Laverde, who we’ve never really managed to fit in the same forward line anyway (and this year they may well be competing with Zaka too). I’d be just as happy if we dump Perkins in the 2s for a year and tell him to learn to play midfield full-time.

4 Likes

We might have to.

It’s only way he will learn to play midfield. The only other midfielders in the VFL is Johnson, Ham & Cutler.

It’s tough to get a gig in the AFL side as a HFF/HBF

Surely his nickname has to be “Doc”

2 Likes

Don’t worry he will try and jump on the bandwagon when the kids a gun ! No pleasing some people

1 Like

I know this isn’t a “sexy” pick - key defenders rarely are - but I think having a 202cm key defender with strong hands and elite footskills will be an incredible weapon for us in a few years’ time.

I know we loaded up on talls this draft, but it makes sense to make that call early in a rebuild, given that KPPs take longer to develop. It’ll also be important to get these guys in whilst we still have Hooker, Hurley & Ambrose to show them the ropes.

Welcome aboard, Zach!

16 Likes

I’m about as credible as the next uninformed punter. But just looking at this guy, I think of all our picks, he is the most likely to be a long term solid player for our club. He feels like the safest bet.

1 Like

I suspect the selection of four talls in the draft will put pressure on Zerk-Thatcher.

1 Like

He is exzachary the type of player we need…tall, athletic and skilful. Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

No pressure Zach but we got you with our pick from Fark Carlton. You have to be the best. No excuses.

Oh yeah, he’s totally stuffed.

Face would’ve been dropping with every single pick.

1 Like