!@#$!%^ !%#^#&*( Computer!

Right, this is driving me absolutely fricking batsh!t

I have a stack of duplicate pics on my external HD, that I am trying to delete and have just one of each pic... Now, there are like 5 duplicates of over a thousand pics, so my method is to Cntrl +Left Click a bunch and delete them...

The thing is, once I get a few tee'd up, Windows automatically begins making copies of them, which I then have to go and select for deletion again. Half of which then are created into further copies! DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FARKING INFURIATING THAT IS???

Seriously, how the fark do I prevent this happening??

angry+typing.gif

Oh and sorry no idea, have a Mac.

i also have a mac, but i have no idea how to use it

Macs are easy. Never had an issue.

Right, this is driving me absolutely fricking batsh!t

I have a stack of duplicate pics on my external HD, that I am trying to delete and have just one of each pic... Now, there are like 5 duplicates of over a thousand pics, so my method is to Cntrl +Left Click a bunch and delete them...

The thing is, once I get a few tee'd up, Windows automatically begins making copies of them, which I then have to go and select for deletion again. Half of which then are created into further copies! DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FARKING INFURIATING THAT IS???

Seriously, how the fark do I prevent this happening??

That sounds a bit strange. Never heard of this kind of problem.

Perhaps some automatic backup software associated with your external HD? See if you have any programs running that might look as though they're related to your drive, go into their settings and see if you can change the backup settings. Or uninstall the program altogether.

No, it's something that I have noticed from way back...even deleting things on my old work computer, if I selected more than a prescribed (read "random, unable to be quantified and compensated for") amount, it would automatically commence copy creation...

I am [THIS] close to donning my Blitz cycling jersey, boarding a one way flight to Seppo land and teaching these little code-junkies what a real Zombie-apocalypse looks like! :angry:

this has happened to me too - it seems to be if I accidentally move the mouse minutely off to one side while I am in the process of left clicking.  Is infuriating! I just let them finish copying, then do control Z to undo the copies.

to stop it happening - just have to be really careful that you don't move the mouse til you've finished the left click!

It’s been a while since I’ve played with a windows machine but could it be related to File History settings? ie how often it saves per day, and how long it keeps a file for.

Press Ctrl Hash.

Sort by created date.

The copies will all be new.

NB I have never heard of this before, certainly never happened to me

Sort by created date.
The copies will all be new.
NB I have never heard of this before, certainly never happened to me

I've had it happen but only when they're trying to sync stuff and there's something there stopping the software (possible buggy software) from recognising files as identical. I think I've even had it happen on Apple devices, but it stopped without me doing anything, so I suspect it was a bug they fixed.

This is really odd. Never heard of anything like it. Maybe some sort of mouse gesture thing?

Are you on a laptop, or a desktop?

I'm also thinking it's some sort of 3rd-party-add-on CRAP. Lot of laptops have that stuff installed, really annoying.

this has happened to me too - it seems to be if I accidentally move the mouse minutely off to one side while I am in the process of left clicking.  Is infuriating! I just let them finish copying, then do control Z to undo the copies.

to stop it happening - just have to be really careful that you don't move the mouse til you've finished the left click!

This.

This.

Agree. I've been there. Maybe adjust your mouse sensitivity.