#36 Lachlan Dalgleish

He did look good in those last few games. Hard at it and really good speed. Definitely an upgrade.

Will play round 1

Dalgleish has been a rookie for 2 years which is plenty of time to make a main list call. By all accounts he made significant progress this year and he has speed, skills and a good frame for footy. He looked the real deal in the Carlton game, and that has to be considered a main stage performance. He was even kicking out effectively. IMO he is already better than other players on the list, so what's the hold up?

Am I missing something because he looks a foolproof addition to me?

If we only offer him a rookie spot , what's to stop him entering the open draft? Because if he does, I reckon he'll be snapped up pronto and we might get a Chrissy card from some team thanking us for preparing a ready made player for them.

Of all the players who have debuted in the last two seasons, he looked the most comfortable at AFL level.

But I guess we do already have a heap of guys on the main list with good pace and good disposal…

don't get me wrong i liked the few glimpses we saw from him but i get the sense that he is beginning to garner a bit of the preseason hype that was attached to browne last year. countless people here were talking him up as a lock for rd 1. truth is the kids that are coming through (kav, hams browne etc) will have to bob up and do something remarkable to push into the best 22 if we have a full list to choose from.

Of the current crop of kids merrett is far and away the best positioned to secure a best 22 spot in my mind on the back of what he was able to produce last year and the fact that the role he plays is very much up for grabs given the injury history of licha, the form/list status of davey and jetta, the lack of goals from kommer and the unknown that is chappy.

dalgliesh has a way to go before he squeezes pig, demps and bags out of their spots and it is still very much open to debate whether he is actually next in line. Hardy certainly seemed to be given that honor last season, we have just brought in edwards, pears is arguably more suited to a flank and then of course there is the aforementioned browne. That is before you consider that coaches also have the option of throwing the side around a bit first and using melk, BJ and hepp back there.

i like is skills, i like his pace and dare but for now i hope he produces some really stellar and consistent form for the 2s over the first half of the year before beginning to think of him as a lock for the 'next in line' mantle let alone best 22.

I’d back him against hardy as a running defender, any day of the week.

Hardy needs to play ‘taller’ to make the most of his aerial skills, because he’s still a panic merchant when trying to dispose of the footy, and that’s a liability for a running half back.

Agree with the rest of your post though. I just think Dal has a few tricks that many of the others mentioned don’t have

I'd back him against hardy as a running defender, any day of the week.
Hardy needs to play 'taller' to make the most of his aerial skills, because he's still a panic merchant when trying to dispose of the footy, and that's a liability for a running half back.
Agree with the rest of your post though. I just think Dal has a few tricks that many of the others mentioned don't have

don't disagree on what you say about hardy but he did seem to be first cab of the rank if a small defender went down last year IIRC.

I'd back him against hardy as a running defender, any day of the week.
Hardy needs to play 'taller' to make the most of his aerial skills, because he's still a panic merchant when trying to dispose of the footy, and that's a liability for a running half back.
Agree with the rest of your post though. I just think Dal has a few tricks that many of the others mentioned don't have

don't disagree on what you say about hardy but he did seem to be first cab of the rank if a small defender went down last year IIRC.

True, but Dalgleish was on the rookie list till very late in the year, so Hardy was really the only option for most of the season.

Have a look at the trade update video with Dodoro on the EFC site.

Dalgleish confirmed as upgraded to senior list. 

Great news!

I'm with Ivan. Not so much on the Hardy love, I don't think he will ever "make it" as a staple in our side but I'm not 100% sold on Dalgliesh yet.

That doesn't mean I'd delist him, I'd still upgrade him. But so too would I upgrade Dell and Stein. 

Dodoro just said on trade radio dalgliesh will be upgraded

Have a look at the trade update video with Dodoro on the EFC site.
Dalgleish confirmed as upgraded to senior list.

Sorry just posted that did not see your post

Congrats Lachie on that scintillating run & goal that’s been acknowledged as the best play of the NAB!
NAB 3 hopefully has given you the confidence to back yourself in and hope to see plenty more of that this season!

Don’t think he’s quite in the 22 but he can’t be very far away.
Done well to not only come back from the 2014 injury, but come back a better player. Can be very tricky for a young player who’s no-where near established.

If it were me I’d be leaning towards picking fringe guys who’ve played before fringe guys who haven’t.
Which would obviously be very good for Ashby, Dal, Gleeson etc.

I’ll try it again shall I…

How many fringe guy we pick before fringe guy?

<insert 2013 Hurley here flicking fringe hair>

Insert [2013 Hurley FlickingFringeHair.gif]

Dal plays better in the AFL then the VFL with better players around him. In 2013 he impressed because he has a real asset that is needed as an AFL player: Quick decision making… In the AFL the bigger bodies can protect him and can dish out the ball to him.

What has impressed me this pre season at training and in the NAB games is his one on one body work in the contest: He takes control of the central corridor by forcing his opponents to lead wide to the wings and up the ground, he will play seniors this year and put extreme pressure on Dempsey.

Quoted Post

Dal plays better in the AFL then the VFL with better players around him. In 2013 he impressed because he has a real asset that is needed as an AFL player: Quick decision making.... In the AFL the bigger bodies can protect him and can dish out the ball to him.

What has impressed me this pre season at training and in the NAB games is his one on one body work in the contest: He takes control of the central corridor by forcing his opponents to lead wide to the wings and up the ground, he will play seniors this year and put extreme pressure on Dempsey.

I’ll miss that thing Dempsey does when he bounces the ball. I’m a fan of Lauchie but he had four bounces on his way to Goal-of-the-Preseason last Friday night and the ball just went straight back to him each time. Where’s the fun in that?

Can he do this yet?