#36 Michael Hartley

I have an idea…

Michael Hartley , IN THE RUCK!

3 Likes

We are all quietly confident of being in a window, he’s only one injury away from potentially playing in a flag. Plus hooker is now the wrong side of 30.

He could get games at some of the poorer clubs. I don’t see him getting games at Richmond or Melbourne. Collingwood would love him but I doubt he would go back there.

1 Like

And he manages himself doesn’t he?

So I reckon it was probably like, “oi Harts you wanna stay?”

“Yup”

That idea deserves to go in the cannon.

Funnily enough I believe not ‘backing himself in’ is where his actual game falls down. He has great judgement in the air when he chooses to use it. I wish he, and a lot of other backmen, would go for their marks rather than the spoil from behind 99% of the time. But maybe that’s the team rule.

So often you see the defender actually place themselves behind their opponent even when they are in the better position for the mark. It drives me crazy.

I understand the need for a defensive mindset, but players like Francis should never be discouraged from going for their marks. And players like Harts should be encouraged to go for more of them.

1 Like

He’s still 4th or 5th in line for tall defenders, and only capable of replacing Hurley or Hooker if they’re injured. He’s not competing with any of Francis, Gleeson, Dea or Ambrose.

Stop trying to put a round peg in a square hole ben.
Everybody knows he’s a small forward!

2 Likes

I said it about Hooker and got laughed at here on Blitz. Now I’ll say it about Hartley:

Give him a chance and he’ll be a star.

2 Likes

I thought Harts was sensational in the vfl finial series. Marked the ball a lot and set up play with his kicking. Looked really confident.

Glad we kept him on has shown he has the tools he just needs to take it to the next level now.

5 Likes

Not exactly my appraisal of his performances.

I think if he has some patience he could be an easy replacement for Hooker. But he will have to wait another 2-3 years.

1 Like

Agreed. I think he has his worst games when he worries about the player and not the ball. When he reads the play himself he performs better and avoids some frees.

3 Likes

lol. You’d be wrong.

1 Like

I don’t consider Dea or Gleeson as KP defenders. Outside of Dea occasionally playing third tall in 2016 I don’t think they ever have.

I have him 4th behind Hooker, Hurley and Francis. I have him ahead of Ambrose and Zerk. Which given the ages of H&H isn’t a terrible place to be. Zerk may be catching him though.

That’s pretty funny, coming from you.

Virtually confirms Harts will be a star based on your record of wrong.

2 Likes

Nah. It doesn’t.
He could easily become legit best 22 in a couple of years, but if he becomes a Hooker level AA star I’ll run nude.

1 Like

Jeezuz, … talk about a Sophies choice!! :worried:

1 Like

He can kick the ball far. His only true strength.

Confirmation

19 Likes

Hartley is 25. When Hooker got named AA he was 25.

There’s always people in the camp of being prepared to back a player.
The comparison to Hooker isn’t really useful because Hooker was a bona fide star when he was younger than Hartley is now.

Many people on here were still backing Hooker in, even when plenty of other\s wanted him gone. There was certainly a far higher percentage of people backing Hooker in, then there are backing Hartley in to be a star.

But he still could make it as an ok best 22 player. I personally think it’s unlikely but you never know.
I’d like to see him tried forward and possibly as the forward that pinch hits in the ruck. May not work, but it’s worth a try imo.

2 Likes