#36 Michael Hartley

I think getting told to attack more was the worst thing we could have done. It’s almost like now he’s questioning how to play.

“Here, take the gorilla forwards but don’t forget to attack.” Like what the ■■■■? Isn’t attacking what Hurley/Gleeson are for? Just fkn let him defend. Don’t waste his fist. And don’t waste his hoof by letting him kick out. A more attacking mindset will come naturally once there’s more confidence in his defensive work. He’ll know when he can and can’t leave his man to set up a play.

5 Likes

Harts has always had a weakness with lead up ( athletic) tall forwards. He tends to lose contact but lets face it, he plays on forwards who average 2-3 goals a game .

A common opinion was that Joey was well beaten by Liam Jones. But Joey still kicked 3.2 with 1 or 2 oob.

He is doing OK if his opponent kicks under 3. Its the nature of the job.

4 Likes

Spot on here Davo. Carlisle, Hooker, Hurley and Fletcher were all exactly the same. The became defensive beasts dominating their opponents and then developed their attacking game once they had the confidence they had their opponent covered. I think Paddy Ambrose will do the same. Both he and Harts will make it and be huge for us for years to come.

Not a lot of people were picking it up, but the carlton forwards were doing a good job of blocking harts so Levi could get out on the lead.

Harts is on a hiding to nothing on this board, he is the best key defender we have to play on the big forwards, FACT, he leads the AFL in spoils and has played 4 less games than the next two on the list.

11 Likes

That’s only because Ambrose hasn’t played.

I think this week against the Crows will be interesting for the three tall back setup, it’s well warranted with adelaides tall forward line. But the GCS, Freo not so Mutch.

If he gets beaten this week, even though he has been good lately I could see them experimenting with Francis alongside Hurley and Ambrose instead. He add a bit more of an attacking game.

For about 5 minutes till he collapses with exhaustion

4 Likes

GPS numbers are up, maybe he could last a whole half now.

1 Like

Look I know stats are BS, but the AFL rates Hartley 2nd best defender at the club, behind Pops Kelly.

1 Like

It’s not a fact

read on the EFC website that Hartley ran over 15km chasing Casboult. Francis would be in Epworth by half time (generous-font)

8 Likes

Stats back that up.

If you were selecting the team, who would be named in the FB position? And would you have Hartley in the team at all?

Our biggest trouble all year has been transitioning out of defence.

Carlton exposed that again on the weekend.

McGrath has been down on form for a month now and thats why he needed a rest and Hartley and Ambrose are both limited when it comes to rebound. Gleeson hasn’t played well for a few weeks either so it has been left to just McKenna and Hurley to offer any rebound and they are getting put under immense pressure.

3 Likes

Agree
But if Hurley has to take a key forward where he needs to play tighter than usual wouldn’t that also limit our transition out of defence

I think it depends on matchups as to whether or not all 3 play

I would drop Hartley.

1 Like

The thing that annoys me about Hartley is that you can bank on him punching the ball to the front of the pack every single time. I have noticed that the opposition just have somebody front and centre waiting for it.

If he can’t take marks or at least direct the punch away from opposition then they just get a free hit.

I would prefer Dea come in.

Only issue with Hartley being out is that Hurley then has to take a key forward.

In 2015 that wasn’t an issue

But now, not only does he lose basically every 1 on 1 but he will also lose his ability to rebound

My ideal situation for 2018

Ambrose
Hurley (back to 2015)
Francis (playing 3rd tall/rebounder)

Depth includes
Dea, Brown and Hartley which is pretty effing good

So you don’t want a backline with anyone over 194?
Right

5 Likes

It’s such an odd argument. Most key forwards are very good at what they do. Backs are said to have a win if they manage to halve the contest. I reckon Harts has been solid this year and the team looks a lot better with him in it.

You simply can’t keep great forwards goalless all the time. Weitering is said to be a champion in the making yet Hooker gave him a bath. Should have kicked 6-7.

If it were up to me I’d play Harts on Tex this week. That’s how much I rate his year.

8 Likes

Its not an odd argument at all. The ball is usually kicked to the fwd’s advantage so the backman needs to fight, to out position the fwd or at least be able to punch it. I have played a lot of footy both fwd and back. Both are quiet different to play.

The very best backman read the ball off the boot as quick of not quicker then the fwd, get into position and intercept mark. Hurley is a classic example of this and plays loose on his man. He then rely’s on his ability to read the ball quicker then his man to intercept.